PDA

View Full Version : 1916 Spanish Mauser converted to 308

TheTman
03-31-2012, 08:27 PM
I have a Spanish Mauser model 1916 that was supposed to have been converted to 308 Winchester according to the seller, but all the documents I've seen shows they were converted to 7.62 NATO with its slightly milder loadings. I haven't shot it much since I don't have a .308 die to handload with. I've heard the metal is kind of soft and will start causing problems with chambering rounds with a steady diet of .308, and I sure as hell don't wan a bolt to come flying into my face. I was thinking about a chamber sleeve which would convert it to 7.62 x 39, so I didn't have to keep separate mild reloads for it, and no one could shoot a high powered .308 in it. Upon further investigation, it seems that the Russian 7.62 bullets are .310-311 in diameter, while the .308, is .308. My question is do you think the difference in diameter of the bullets could cause problems with increased pressure, I'm not so worried about lead core bullets, but some of that Russian stuff has steel core bullets and I wonder if they would damage the rifle. Not sure, it's only .002-.003 difference. Doesn't seem like its that much to be too concerned over, but thought I'd run it past the experts here.
This isnt a very collectable rifle, and I'd thought it'd be something good to keep in the trunk, and think the 7.62x39 is an ok cartridge for deer sized game and under, at short range (under 75-100 yards). And I wouldnt have to worry about someone shooting 308 in it sometime in the future after I'm gone. I plan on doing a cold bluing to it to get rid of some rust, and might bubba-ize the stock and have some fun with it and see what I can make out of it.

muggsy
03-31-2012, 09:31 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2007/09/03/308-winchester-vs-762x51-nato/

TheTman
03-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Yes, I've read quite a bit of stuff like that, which is why I don't want to use .308 in it. The military brass is thicker, and holds less powder than most commercial 308. Some people who have run a lot of 308 through these spanish mauser's notice it becomes increasingly more difficult to close the bolt on a round due to the locking lugs being pounded out of shape. Spanish steel may not have been as strong as it is today back then. Many who reload for the 1916, use .300 Savage reloading data for a reduced load that is shootable without harming the rifle. I thought I'd just convert it to 7.62x39 just to make sure no one tries any .308 "light magnum" type of load through it. I have quite a bit of 7.62x39 ammo, and I think the rifle would be much safer using that cartridge.

muggsy
04-01-2012, 11:34 AM
The best way to find out what you have for sure is to make a chamber cast.

http://gunsmithtalk.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/what-is-cerrosafe%E2%84%A2-and-how-to-make-a-chamber-cast/

rwblue01
04-01-2012, 05:08 PM
I think going to 7.62x39 is a good idea, but I would suggests talking to the guys over at www.glockpost.com

jocko
04-01-2012, 05:33 PM
I read somewhere that u can tell the difference in a spanish mauser and a French Mauser. One has been "shot". Just sayin.:blah:

DeaconKC
04-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I have owned and shot several of these little rifles. First off, it is built on the Model 93 action, nicknamed the "small ring", when the Model 98 came out it had a larger diameter and another locking lug over the 93. The 98 is one of the strongest actions ever made and few actions will prove any stronger. The myth of soft steel actually came from other manufacturers [including our own Springfield Armory] that did not adequately heat treat some receivers. All of the Spanish Mausers were made to the factory specs and the only only ones that have had problems could be traced to handloads that were way out of spec. My current 1916 has been sportered and mounts a scout scope and LOVES Winchester White Box .308. The rifles in question were tested many times over by all sorts of companies and publishers. Shoot it with confidence, they are great rifles.

TheTman
04-01-2012, 06:18 PM
LOL@Jocko, good one!

DeaconKC, I've shot a couple .308 out of it, kind of one handed poking it around the corner if the barn and shooting it into the ground. The part about the soft steel comes from some board that I was reading where people had shot a lot of .308 through it and it got very hard to close the bolt cause the locking lugs were getting knocked out of shape. NO ONE could come up with an actual KaBoom happening as a result off using .308. I saw a spec book for one, it was written in Spanish, but definatly said 7.62 NATO conversion on the front. I think WWB ammo in .308 is one of the lighter and safer loads to use with it. I think the ideal thing would be to get some actual NATO spec brass and reload cartridges to aroud 40-45,000 CUP with a 150 gr, bullet, going close to 2500 FPS, trouble is I don't have a die or case trimmer or resizer or any of that stuff for reloading rifle cartridges, nor any experience doing such. All I have is a single stage Lee press with .44 and 45 dies, and I haven't used that in over 3 years, since I left home. The Lee press does accept riflle dies though.
Now I do have 98Kar that is an Israeli conversion to 7.62 NATO that I'll shot any standard pressure .308 out of with good results, and don't worry about it too much. Also have an Ishapore 2A1 originally in 7.62 NATO that I also shoot standard load .308 out of with no problems. It's basically a SMLE MKIII the Indians rechambered for 7.62. But it was built as a 7.62 and is not a conversion.

I just have an abundance of 7.62x39 laying around so thought I'd just get the sleeve for the Spanish Mauser and know for certain I was safe shooting that round.

rwblue, I don't own a glock nor wish to own one, so I try and stay off glock boards. Nothing against them, they are just not my cup of tea. I almost bought a Model 34, but the trigger and sights on the M&P Pro won me over to that gun.

jocko
04-01-2012, 06:34 PM
i tried to talk to them but they never wold talk back. I think they banned me before I ever tried to even join. probably tyhe best move they ever made to.. Just sayin.

rwblue01
04-01-2012, 10:09 PM
rwblue, I don't own a glock nor wish to own one, so I try and stay off glock boards. Nothing against them, they are just not my cup of tea. I almost bought a Model 34, but the trigger and sights on the M&P Pro won me over to that gun.

They are the hard core reloaders that left Glocktalk. They started up Glockpost because they wanted to talk gun and reloading and there was too much BS happening on GT at the time.

You don't have to be a Glock person to post there, but you do have to keep your posts about guns, reloading and.....or they get pissy.

rwblue01
04-01-2012, 10:11 PM
i tried to talk to them but they never wold talk back. I think they banned me before I ever tried to even join. probably tyhe best move they ever made to.. Just sayin.

Did you piss off the reloaders on GT? If you did, they probably remember you.

If you didn't, I don't know what to say. Some boards are easier to join than others.

jlottmc
04-02-2012, 07:01 AM
I have the same 2A not a 2A1, and shoot it routinely with Winchester ammo. Those guys tend to load a little hot from my experience, but I have no worries with it. The Spanish Mauser should be good to go with factory loads.

muggsy
04-02-2012, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't join any MB that would have me as a member. :)