PDA

View Full Version : cheap starter .22???

PYROhafe
03-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Lookin for a cheap starter .22 to have some fun with at the range! Just looking for something I can maybe pick up on the cheap at a pawn shop or somethin like that. Any suggestions on something simple to operate n clean, that I can probably snag for cheap?

Edit: sorry, looking for a semi auto handgun (or MAYBE something along the small tactical type line up).... something the gf, and I can both have fun shooting (for cheap) and something great to introduce new shooters to the fun of things going bang and plink! :)

chipD
03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Don't know what your looking to spend. Here is a new one under 160 dollars.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_323/products_id/41174/Marlin+795+22LR+AUTO+CLIP+10+RD+SYN

Tinman507
03-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Can't go wrong with the new Ruger SR22.
Sweet shooter, total piece of cake to breakdown and clean.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/index.html

Here's Mine:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/Photo4.jpg

chipD
03-31-2012, 11:47 PM
Whoops sorry, I see .22 and automatically think of pinking and hunting with my rifle. I'm with Tinman when it comes to Ruger .22 handguns, fair priced, well made, and accurate. They are hard to beat in my honest opinion.

PYROhafe
04-01-2012, 01:09 AM
hmmm..... that somethin i can find used at a lgs/pawn store/ online?

AIRret
04-01-2012, 06:31 AM
I think the Ruger SR22 is a pretty new gun, so it may be hard to find a used one.

Tinman507
04-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Yeah, you're likely not going to find one used. Truthfully they're not in the "cheap" catagory but they're very reasonably priced new.
I love that little gun and so do my wife and daughter.

chipD
04-01-2012, 07:02 AM
hmmm..... that somethin i can find used at a lgs/pawn store/ online?

An SR may be harder to find used, but there should be plenty of Mark series Rugers out there.

Tinman507
04-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Gun Broker is listing SR22's for around $300-$350 NIB.

Longitude Zero
04-01-2012, 07:22 AM
If you are looking towards a rifle the Henry 22LR Lever Action gun is a load of fun. My son and I have thousands of rounds downrange with ours.

Garland
04-01-2012, 08:25 AM
I would pay a little more for quality. Even if it is a starter gun, if you end up buying larger calibers you will probably still shoot the .22 more than the others just because the ammo is so inexpensive. I prefer my S&W Model 18 revolver and Marlin Golden 39A for plinking fun over semi-autos, but if you get something nice instead of whatever is cheapest you will have a gun to enjoy your whole life.

JFootin
04-01-2012, 08:43 AM
I have been pondering this question for awhile, now. The Heritage arms single action revolver can be had for a little over $100 new, is available in a variety of barrel lengths and in twin cylinder 22/22wmr models.

I have decided against the Ruger Mark I, II, III and the Browning Buckmark because of the difficulty of disassembly/reassembly. And for me, grabbing those two little nubs on the end of the Ruger to rack it is very difficult. I'd probably have to have some sort of a handle attached there.

Tinman has a point with the SR22. But I am looking hard at the S&W M&P 22. I am also looking to get a full size, high capacity 9 mm for home defense and range use. If I get the M&P 9, my plinking and target practice with the 22 will feed into improved accuracy with the 9, IMO. And aftermarket trigger enhancements are available for these models.

AJBert
04-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Stay away from anything Heritage puts out on the rim fire side of things. Don't ask me how a company in this day and age has had so many problems with a simple hammer striking the rim of a casing. I have seen far too many come back for "repairs" and most end up just getting a full refund after the second or third time getting the pistol back from the factory.

A much better alternative to a Heritage is the Cimmaron (made by Uberti). They cost more but you tend to get what you pay for.

Also, there are tons of Ruger Single-Six's and Ten's out there to be had, they are a bit more than Cimmaron's but again you get what you pay for.

This providing you want a wheel gun.

skiflydive
04-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Anyone know much about Phoenix .22s

Popeye
04-01-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm pretty impressed with the little MKIII 22/45. There nice little pistols. The break down of them is not as bad as some make it out to be. They don't need to be broken down after every range visit. Heck I know guys that own them and put thousands of round through them and have never broken them down.

JFootin
04-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Anyone know much about Phoenix .22s

Made of soft metal. You get what you pay for.

DeaconKC
04-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Go new and get a Smith and Wesson 22A, great shooters and easy to find for around $250. If you find a used Ruger or Buckmark, grab them.

DLButler
04-02-2012, 04:59 AM
I have both the Phoenix HP22A and the Heritage Rough Rider 22LR. They both have functioned fine with a single problem. The Phoenix is nice because you can get two barrels for it, 3" and 5". It is about the weight of a CM9. I haven't had any problems with the Heritage Rough Rider either, but I have seen it for less than $200, even the blemished ones. I have the 6 1/2 inch barrel with the interchangable cylinder for 22LR and 22Mag. My wife prefers the Heritage over the Phoenix because of the single action. They are both good choices.

SpecK
04-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty impressed with the little MKIII 22/45. There nice little pistols. The break down of them is not as bad as some make it out to be. They don't need to be broken down after every range visit. Heck I know guys that own them and put thousands of round through them and have never broken them down.

BINGO!!!

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t519/SpecmenK/IMG_20110210_135036-1.jpg

JFootin, I understand your concern but the breakdown gets much easier and the blow back bolt is kind of a pain til you get used to it. I liked you idea about have a full size 9 the exact same as you .22 trainer. Matter of fact my buddy just got one and it shoots pretty well, fits nicely in the hand, but the little bugger has had a few FTF and FTEjects so Im not crazy about it. My cousin has the Buckmark which he likes pretty well but I can shoot circles around him with my slab barrel. Stay away from the Walther P22 -- the SR22 is pretty cool lookin tho- and tinman swears by it...bottom line, stick with ruger, you wont be disappointed

JFootin
04-03-2012, 03:48 PM
BINGO!!!

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t519/SpecmenK/IMG_20110210_135036-1.jpg

JFootin, I understand your concern but the breakdown gets much easier and the blow back bolt is kind of a pain til you get used to it. I liked you idea about have a full size 9 the exact same as you .22 trainer. Matter of fact my buddy just got one and it shoots pretty well, fits nicely in the hand, but the little bugger has had a few FTF and FTEjects so Im not crazy about it. My cousin has the Buckmark which he likes pretty well but I can shoot circles around him with my slab barrel. Stay away from the Walther P22 -- the SR22 is pretty cool lookin tho- and tinman swears by it...bottom line, stick with ruger, you wont be disappointed

Thanks! :)

les strat
04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
As posted in a thread I started, I just picked up a Ruger Single 10. I haven't shot it yet, but it has the reputaion of being a pretty good shooter if you like the revolver route. My other .22 is a SS Marlin M60SB. Dead accurate rifle out of the box. Doesn't need tweeking like a 10/22.

My new Ruger Single 10
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/single10.jpg

My bro-in-law has a Ruger Mark III with bull barrel that is a great shooter as well, but a PITA to break down and clean. And when it is dirty, it doesn't run worth a crap. That's why I went for a wheel gun. 22L is just dirty stuff, but loads of fun. And cheap to shoot!