View Full Version : Can I ask an AR 15 question?

knkali
04-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Will be picking up a S&W optics ready ar 15. It has no sights so I wont be co witnessing. I want to know if the Aimpoint H1 will work right out of the box or do I need to elevate that sight anyway to get better ergonomics. IOW wiould the H1 be too low to use well.

If this question is no go, I expect it to be deleted.

JimBianchi
04-01-2012, 06:19 PM
If there is a front sight post you may need to elevate the scope.

If there is no front sight yo should be fine.

My M4 clone has a front sight post and I originally needed to elevate the optic.

My current optic has a larger base that did not need elevation so I took the riser off.

If need a riser I can send you mine free of charge. It is a 3/4inch and is rock solid.

PM me if decide you need it.

knkali
04-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Jim,

no sights at all. I pick up the gun in two days. Thanks for the kind offer. I really would like to run the optic as is.

yqtszhj
04-01-2012, 07:53 PM
The less elevation the better. POA is POI closer to the barrel. Then you can just hold over the farther it is away. My scopes are as low as I can get them on my AR.

JimBianchi
04-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Jim,

no sights at all. I pick up the gun in two days. Thanks for the kind offer. I really would like to run the optic as is.

You should be fine then without a riser.

knkali
04-01-2012, 08:39 PM
That H1 mounts pretty dang low guys. I will know more soon and report back. I did find this link but I think that this is for co witnessing. I was told by some that getting my eye lined up that low without a riser on the rifle will be tough. You guys are clearly saying this isnt so. Do you guys have an H1 or T1? I do not mean that is a bad way. I really do appreciate your input.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDD15003&name=Daniel+Defense+Micro+Aimpoint+Mount&groupid=301&search=aimpoint

yqtszhj
04-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I have a 40mm scope on mine and the rim of the scope rides right above the forward hand grip. It's low for sure and when you pull it up to your shoulder to fire the stock will ride high on your shoulder but the AR doesn't have enough recoil that it will chew on your shoulder bad at all. The lower the better for close and even longer range in my opinion.

I say this just based on "precision" shooting because if I'm are trying to punch a quarter at 50 or 100 yards with a scope or even iron sights having to compensate for bullet rise and drop is work. Even worse with the carry handle iron sights on the AR that I use at times.

Like Bawanna's signature file says now "Due to the price increase of ammo there will no longer be a warning shot." I like to hit what I'm aiming at the first time. And if I can see it I want to hit it.