PDA

View Full Version : Lead levels in your blood? Anyone get tested?

DaveInCA
04-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Since I reload and also work with electronics I asked my doctor to add the test for lead levels when I had my physical. It came back at 12ug, about 3 times the "normal" level of 4. He said don't worry about it.
I thought I was being careful, but I'm now being even more careful about washing up to my elbows and keeping the case cleaner closed when it's on.
It turned out to be high enough that the state sent me large "packet" about lead poisoning in the mail. My wife had some questions when that letter from the Health Department showed up.:D
Anyone else been tested, and how do your levels look?

AIRret
04-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Never thought of doing that, but it's a good idea. I'll ask my doctor to do the same. THANKS.

houdini
04-09-2012, 04:42 PM
I get tested every 2 years to see what my lead count is.it gives me peace of mind.

noylj
04-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Casting and shooting for over 45 years.
6 mg/dl, or whatever units it is.
Note: they are aritificially lower the limit to build a case for outlawing lead bullets.
Used to be that anything under 20 was considered normal. 4 is outrageously low and they probably can't find ANYONE below that level.
Wouldn't it be nice if public health was ruled by science rather than politics???

MudMarine
04-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Casting and shooting for over 45 years.
6 mg/dl, or whatever units it is.
Note: they are aritificially lower the limit to build a case for outlawing lead bullets.
Used to be that anything under 20 was considered normal. 4 is outrageously low and they probably can't find ANYONE below that level.
Wouldn't it be nice if public health was ruled by science rather than politics???

Can you cite a source for this artificial lowering?

MudMarine
04-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Since I reload and also work with electronics I asked my doctor to add the test for lead levels when I had my physical. It came back at 12ug, about 3 times the "normal" level of 4. He said don't worry about it.
I thought I was being careful, but I'm now being even more careful about washing up to my elbows and keeping the case cleaner closed when it's on.
It turned out to be high enough that the state sent me large "packet" about lead poisoning in the mail. My wife had some questions when that letter from the Health Department showed up.:D
Anyone else been tested, and how do your levels look?

3 times the normal level is relative. The National Institute for Health only recommends treatment for adults when they show symptoms of lead poisoning or blood concentrations reach 60ug/dl. Its easy enough to look up the symptoms for lead poisoning and to discuss with your physician whether or not you have any.

Personally if I didn't show symptoms, I would be more concerned if a subsequent test showed an elevated level above 12ug/dl giving you a trend. Lead must be ingested, its not going to absorb through the skin generally.

My sources:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003360.htm
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=10031&p_table=STANDARDS

JohnR
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
How did the government find out you have high lead levels in your blood? :eek:

beatlesfan
04-12-2012, 04:44 PM
How did the government find out you have high lead levels in your blood? :eek:

That's the part I'm wondering about. Did the doctor breach patient confidentiality? Or are they required to report lead poisoning(which this wasn't) just like they have to report gsw?

Sent from AOKP using Tapatalk.

MW surveyor
04-13-2012, 08:05 AM
^^^^This is kinda spooky^^^^^

I'd get tested but I'm afraid that they would find that the lead is not in my blood but in my a$$. ;)

DaveInCA
04-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Well, I live in southern California. Not the most gun friendly state.
I told the Doc that I worked with electronics and lead solder. He put the test in as an OSHA testing. I guess that it was sent on because of that.
I tend to agree, it shouldn't have gone further. I think that it was well worth knowing about and he was straight up on telling me not to worry about it.

ZardozCZ
05-01-2012, 09:48 PM
A friend used to rebuild aircraft engines and had insane lead levels (almost literally). He underwent chelation therapy to lower them. Eating lots of Cilantro helps lower your lead he says. Just thought I'd pass that on.