PDA

View Full Version : Quick review PM9 vs. Diamondback DB9

kb2wji
04-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I've had a PM9 for a couple years now. My buddy just picked up his DB9. What better time than to compare? Afterall, one of us has to be better than the other :001_tt2:

My PM9 was a total nightmare for the first 200 rounds. I would say about 40 of them fired off as they should. The other 160 were flipping me the bird. Then I realized there was a sticky about what "should be done", and "what i did". I prepped it, and havent had a single hiccup since. I carry it as a CCW, and also as a BUG on duty.

My buddy picked up his DB9 for the same reason. He wanted a small, concealable pistol that still fired at least a 9mm. (Not a caliber war, so knock it off :rolleyes:)

We took our BUG's to my local indoor range, and blasted away. My first impression of the DB9 is THIN. This thing makes the PM9 look like an XD. It's so seriously thin that it doesnt even take a side by side comparison to realize its way thinner than the PM9. The length and height are so close its not really worth comparing.

Now we shoot. I shoot a few mags through my PM9. It's accurate, and the recoil is very manageable. We all know that.

The DB9 feels wierd in your hand. Almost like its too thin for its backstrap-trigger distance. It feels more like you are holding a deck of cards than a gun. I didnt like it. Then I pulled the trigger. Is this thing a .44 mag?? It straight up hurt. You cant get a "normal" grip on it because of its odd dimensions, and its so thing and light that it just about ripped my hand apart. I dumped 3 magazines through it, and I was done for the day. This thing sucks to shoot. The sights are decent, and its pretty accurate for such an oddly shaped tiny weapon. My only complaint was that the 3-dot sights' white paint was wearing off already, after 100ish rounds.

Here's a breakdown of how I feel. These are opinions only, and you may feel differently. Scale of 1-10. 10 is perfect, 1 sucks.

Sights: pm9 (w/ night sights): 10, db9: 7
Accuracy: They were both more accurate than I am (draw)
fit and finish: pm9: 9 db9: 8
concealability: pm9: 9 db9: 11 (its crazy slim)
ease of take down: pm9: 7 db9: 10 (exactly like a glock)
looks: pm9: 8 (mk9 is a 10, sorry guys) db9: 6

Had I to do it all over, which would I buy? PM9, hands down. The extra width of the pm9 really doesnt hurt concealability much, and makes the gun 100x easier to shoot. The DB9 is impressively slim, but shooting it made me hate its guts.

If all out concealability is top priority, the db9 is tough to beat in a 9mm package. Otherwise, the pm9 is top dog.

crazymailman
04-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Nice review.

I got to handle but not shoot a DB9 last summer and was also impressed with the thinness of the gun. Really thought one would be nice for a pocket gun, as I think my PM9 is a bit too think for that. I did ask the owner if he had shot it much and the response he gave made me think that it was a bear to shoot. Oh well, I guess a 380 of some sort will have to do for a pocket piece.

jocko
04-10-2012, 12:05 PM
kel teks PF9 about the same grip feel IMO. actually hav enot read alot of good reviews on the DB9, gladto seethis guys worked as desiged..:israel:

Bill K
04-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks. I really appreciate reviews and such from regular folks with no real skin in the game.

itsthelaw
04-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Have a KT PF9 and really like it!

bapple
04-14-2012, 10:52 AM
I think the Kel-tec PF9s are nice little guns - if you don't mind the snappy recoil. My friend's is a decent, dependable gun, but I could shoot my CM9 all day, whereas his would only be comfortable enough for about 2 mags. My hand was throbbing at that point.

I respect Diamondback for trying to get a foot in the door but they have a little more work to do. I heard the DB380 was an absolute nightmare and wouldn't always reset the trigger, which is a nightmare in a CC handgun.

Longitude Zero
04-14-2012, 11:11 AM
True. DB STILL has serious design/quality control issues. Tt is readily apparent in the DB forum that the company perfmored little if any Beta testing. Customers became the unwitting vitims in there rush to the market.

When problems arose they did what any poorly run company does, BLAME THE CUSTOMER.

ParabellumJ
04-18-2012, 12:12 AM
I don't think the DB9 is even comparable to a PM9/CM9. Concealability is important, but reliability should be the most important factor in choosing a CCW. I own a CM9 and a Kel-Tec PF9. The PF9 has been mostly reliable, only 3 FTExtract in first 150 rds. The CM9 has been flawless and I can shoot it all day. The PF9 makes me want to quit after 100 rds. I carry the CM9 and would never choose the PF9 over it. In fact, the PF9 is off getting refinished to fix the poor (that is generous) machining and blueing job KT did.

rmoody
04-18-2012, 06:00 AM
At least the damn thing shot for you. All mine does is FTF with stovepiped rounds. It occurs RELIABLE on the 3rd round out of the magazine and the second to last round out of the magazine. And it's damned frustrating! I can't shoot the thing one handed AT ALL. I really like the trigger, it's accurate (when it doesn't jam) and it's size and weight are incredible. Having a PM9 now, this is the smallest a 9mm can go if you ask me.

There are threads on the DB forum about using a PF9 mag spring with a few coils cut off in place of the pitifully under powered standard spring, but I have not tried it yet. DB will not admit there is any design flaw, it's always the shooter's fault. To their credit, they have made changes to take care of needing to glue the frame pins in and adding a 3rd pin for the trigger due to it breaking. I have well over 400 rounds through my DB9 and I just keep holding out hope that DB will admit and issue and fix the thing. In the meantime, I have no doubts about my PM9 whatsoever and it's my regular CCW.

paperpuncher
04-18-2012, 06:40 AM
I don't think the DB9 is even comparable to a PM9/CM9. Concealability is important, but reliability should be the most important factor in choosing a CCW. I own a CM9 and a Kel-Tec PF9. The PF9 has been mostly reliable, only 3 FTExtract in first 150 rds. The CM9 has been flawless and I can shoot it all day. The PF9 makes me want to quit after 100 rds. I carry the CM9 and would never choose the PF9 over it. In fact, the PF9 is off getting refinished to fix the poor (that is generous) machining and blueing job KT did.

+1......this was an apples to oranges comparison.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Longitude Zero
04-18-2012, 07:31 AM
I have no doubts about my PM9 whatsoever and it's my regular CCW.

A very wise choice.

kb2wji
04-19-2012, 12:04 AM
+1......this was an apples to oranges comparison.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nah, its apples to apples. Its just that one apple is obviously nicer than the other.

Both are sub-sub-compact 9's with 6+1 capacity, polymer frames, and have a very similar overall size. The purpose of these pistols is the same...conceal carry / backup. I agree that i've heard horror stories about these D-backs, but the one I shot was flawless. (Sure, doing bare knuckle pushups on the driveway in June hurts less, but it was still flawless.) I think if DB could iron out the reliability issues, it would make a sweet BUG. It's just shockingly thin. But still, the PM9 feels like a gun, and the DB feels like a deck of cards.

In no way would I want one over a PM / CM9. :cool:

Longitude Zero
04-19-2012, 07:59 AM
In no way would I want one over a PM / CM9. :cool:

Me either.

dkmatthews
04-19-2012, 09:39 AM
I bought a DB380 in early 2011 as my deep conceal gun or for pocket carry while wearing a suit. I tried hard to like that gun. I tried seven or eight different types of ammunition through it, both ball and hollow point. I cleaned the heck out of it. I polished the feed ramp. No matter what, I had consistent FTF and FTE issues. The most reliable ammo was PMC Bronze ball, but even that was never flawless. After 500 to 600 rounds and consistent failures, I tried sending it back to DB for warranty repair. They replaced the extractor and said they test fired it. The day it came in to my LGS, I loaded up a fresh magazine and guess what -- FAILURE TO FEED.

Since I couldn't rely on it to keep me alive, I traded it in on a used Glock.

Diamondback is going to have to prove to me that they have fixed their design/manufacturing/quality assurance issues before I ever spend my money to carry one of their pistols again.

JFootin
04-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Diamondback have already ruined themselves, IMO. Selling junk guns and using unwitting customers as beta testers from the outset. I will never own one.

TheTman
04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
I had a DB9 and could not get it to function with my small hands. It shot fine for guys with bigger mitts, but I couldn't string 2 shots together without a FTF. I traded it for an Elsiepee, which I didn't like much better, although it performed much better, so I sold that too.

Longitude Zero
04-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Diamondback have already ruined themselves, IMO. Selling junk guns and using unwitting customers as beta testers from the outset. I will never own one.

Yeah the anus head owner of DB needs to stick with what he supposedly knows, building boats.

I owned one but sold it to a gunsmith with over 30 years in the business. He go so frustrated with it he destroyed it.

jeepster09
04-19-2012, 12:49 PM
I think Diamondback's competition is Highpoint until they work out their bugs....:behindsofa::target:

O'Dell
04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
I think Diamondback's competition is Highpoint until they work out their bugs....:behindsofa::target:

My HP C9 works fine - never had a problem. Yes, it's heavy and ugly, which is why I keep it in my glove compartment so I don't have to pick it up or look at it. :D

I've also had two carbines, a 9mm and now a 45. Neither has ever fail to shoot and they're pretty accurate too with a good red dot.

goalie
04-19-2012, 06:39 PM

Actually, the HiPoints that I have shot actually seemed to function rather well.

Ugly as hell, and had the ergonomics of a pregnant brick, but functioned ok.....

jeepster09
04-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Maybe I should of said Kel Tec....oops :40: not knocking the better than DB guns. just that High Points are not compeating with anyone cuz they are proud of being the cheapest gun made:music:

dzldust
04-19-2012, 07:49 PM
I had a DB( for about 2 hours one time,between the FTF and the dead trigger issues) I realized quick I was not leaving the store where I bought it or their range with this POS in my possesion.Totally have no faith in the gun I had for a minute.I was lucky and was able to exchange the Gun for a CM9.Happy times from then on.