PDA

View Full Version : New member in Mass is interested in becoming a Zoot Suit Shooter

gregg877
02-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Recently attended the NRA Firearms Instructors course thorugh GOAL here in Mass and was told about AZSA, looks pretty cool. My understanding is that there are some folks nearby that are invloved, but havent had any luck getting hold of anyone. Copicut Zooters? Anyone here?

In the meantime, here are some pics of my hardware. Both thompsons are registered SBR's and have several mods including correct round countour charging handles, paddle style safeties, original Lyman adjustable rear sights, mag catch re-ground to accept original magazines, and the more antique looking of the 2 has had the lower machined and modified to accept an original detachable 1928 buttstock. The other one would be done, but I havent had time to get back into the shop to do it.

Best, Gregg

Ghostsoldier
02-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Beautiful firearms, Gregg....welcome to the forum! :)
BTW...are you over at Nick's forum, MachineGunBooks.com (http://www.machinegunbooks.com?)
Rob

gregg877
02-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the compliments,

I'm not over at the machinegunbooks forums, but I do post on the FN forum(fomerly the PS90forum) mg42.us, and a couple others.

Both of my thompsons are numerich's, and when I bought them they seemed pretty sad after comparing them to real 1928's, I really had to do something to make em look right. A little more work than one of the M1's(which I'm working on right now), but the finished product speaks for itself. I was glad to see Kahr address some of the ascetics later in their production, though I wish it had been sooner, the round charging handles were a pain to make and original paddle safeties are stupid money. The one thing they wont sell now is the stripped lower for a detachable butt stock, which is a bummer, but anyway, I'm just rambling...

Ghostsoldier
02-15-2010, 11:32 AM
You're welcome.:)

Check out Nick's site; there's some good Thompson info there, even if you do have to wade through some "Anti-Kahr" sentiments occasionally (Mostly by intolerant, self-professed Thompson 'purists'...meh. :rolleyes:).
Rob

gregg877
02-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah, usually the intolerant self professed thompson purists are talk and no action, much less owners of either firm's products. I'm not a salesman for Kahr or Numerich, but fact of the matter is their products are the only BATFE approved semi auto thompsons out there. They are good platforms for those who live where machinegun ownership is not allowed, or dont have the cash to get the real deal.

Nonetheless, I'll check out nick's site.

Still, no Mass Zooters? Heck, might have to join AZSA and just start my own chapter...

The Hustler
02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Welcome Gregg! The Copicut Zooters guys do hang out here but they may be layin' low right now. Their contact info is on the club page of the Zoot Shooters website... Clubs Zoot Shooters (http://www.zootshooters.com/clubs)

Thanks for your interest in the AZSA and you're always welcome to start your own club. The more, the better. We need all the support we can to really get this off of the ground.

Thanks again,
Jason Huss
aka The Hustler

gregg877
02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks Hustler, dropped the boilermaker a postcard.

like most rooks just want to bring out my chopper and get to work.:cool:

dougdeb
02-22-2010, 09:28 AM
gregg- I'm in Eastern Mass (but west of Boston) and I can't wait to get out and start shooting. My biggest issues right now are the cost of range membership and the fact that I don't have any period pieces. I'm hoping to sell my Springfield XD and get a Colt 1903.
Hopefully see you on the range soon.
Doug