View Full Version : It was a good day, Bawanna don't look!

gb6491
04-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Last week, I thought I had a line on an SR1911 that came off lay-a-way because the time had run out on it. I was told today that the shop owner was doing something with the pistol and that was the end of that. However, I had some store credit and to assuage my disappointment with not connecting on the Ruger, I bought a Rock Island Armory 1911. Blasphemously, it's chambered in 9mm. A quick trip to the range proves it's a blast to shoot and I'm pleased with it.
http://i47.tinypic.com/zv6kg7.jpg
First 70 or so rounds through it at 10 yards:
http://i50.tinypic.com/35asx3b.jpg
Okay, now that I'm feeling pretty good about the day, I mosey back into the retail side and join a conversation about two old Colts the shop has. While so engaged, one of the guys walks up and slides a box towards me; holy smokes, it's an SR1911 that was just delivered. He asks if I'm still interested after buying the Rock; I couldn't have gotten the plastic out any faster without having melted it. Here it is (will put some rounds through it tomorrow):
http://i48.tinypic.com/dg2pea.jpg
Then, I get home and find some packages from ebay auctions waiting.
First up is a Condor Hudson Bay Knife (big brute of a knife, there are some reviews on you tube):
http://i48.tinypic.com/2rrb7o6.jpg
Second is this old antler and beat together steel thing:
http://i49.tinypic.com/345xve1.jpg
It really was a good day.:)
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
04-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Bawanna has just fainted. What a day.

Love the knife, love the Ruger, love the Rock even if it is a mouse gun.

You must live right my friend. In a shop and have a Ruger presented to ya.

And you earlier used the word envious.

ooops, Bawanna just fainted again but he's happy for you.

muggsy
04-26-2012, 05:20 AM
I never met a 1911 that I didn't like. May your purchases bring you many hours of enjoyment.

wyntrout
04-26-2012, 05:41 AM
Wow, Greg. That WAS a great day! Nice bit of luck on the Ruger, too. Congratulations!

BTW, I've been wanting to congratulate you for being chosen to help run this forum. I didn't want to start a cascade of that on someone else's thread. You're very knowledgeable and practical around guns... just what we need... not that you weren't already a valuable, contributing member.

Wynn:)

Planedude
04-26-2012, 06:22 AM
I would love to find a Rock Island in 9mm. My wife loves to shoot my 1911s, but .45 ammo is not cheap.
A RI 1911 would solve alot of issues at my house. I could gussy it up for her with a set of Bawanna slabs to seal the deal.
Looks like a real shooter. Good deal on the Ruger, I like them but just don't need another 1911 in .45.
A 9mm or 10mm well, maybe...

wyntrout
04-26-2012, 06:50 AM
I just posted a thread on Natchez's ammo sale. For 10 boxes you can get $14.99 each prices on several types for the range. I signed up with them and many others for fliers and such.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=CC3570&lsrc=NZ&utm_source=NZ&src=BE902&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=04262012Ammo

JFootin
04-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Wow, Greg. That WAS a great day! Nice bit of luck on the Ruger, too. Congratulations!

BTW, I've been wanting to congratulate you for being chosen to help run this forum. I didn't want to start a cascade of that on someone else's thread. You're very knowledgeable and practical around guns... just what we need... not that you weren't already a valuable, contributing member.

Amen! I'm glad you stepped up to help Bawanna on the front lines. And your knowledge and creative solutions are priceless! :)

gb6491
04-26-2012, 09:54 AM
I would like to thank you all for your kind comments, especially Wynn and JF in regards to me helping out on the forum. It's really members like you gents that make the forum roll.

I have to say I was really surprised by how much I like 9mm in the 1911 platform. As mentioned, it costs a lot less to shoot (good thing in my book), but beyond that, recoil is negligible so follow up shots are extremely quick. I like 1911s and have more time behind the sights of them than any other style of bottom feeder, so I'm thinking the Rock Island will be cutting into the range time of my other 9s (with an exception for the CW9).

Regards,
Greg

Barth
04-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Two guns in one day?
What a nightmare!!!

(I need one of those - LOL)

Rock Island is nice.
But I'm a stainless man and the Ruger has got my attention.

I've got my P220/45, but no 1911s.

I keep thinking about a Dan Wesson Valor or a Springfield Loaded.
The new Sig 1911s look interesting too.

Must get truck, really need truck...

Ken_K
04-26-2012, 11:21 AM
That was one helluva day! We really should all pitch in and get a SR1911 for Bawanna for being such an awesome help to this place and to all of us. ;)

Bawanna
04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
That was one helluva day! We really should all pitch in and get a SR1911 for Bawanna for being such an awesome help to this place and to all of us. ;)

Bawanna just fainted again!:eek:

TheTman
04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Greg, what was your impression of the quality of the RIA 1911? Does it have the feel of a quality firearm? Any rough spots that got your attention? Is that a pistol that you could take the frame and make a nice target pistol from? I've seen them going for under $400 at the gun shows and have been tempted to pick one up. Can't have too many 1911's can you? Just curious, I'd probably opt to spend a couple hundred more and order an STI Spartan 5 which already has many of the features I want.

BEARDOG
04-26-2012, 12:42 PM
WOW! what a day. That is some very nice hardware Greg, congrats!... I so need to get a SR1911, what a beauty!

gb6491
04-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Greg, what was your impression of the quality of the RIA 1911? Does it have the feel of a quality firearm? Any rough spots that got your attention? Is that a pistol that you could take the frame and make a nice target pistol from? I've seen them going for under $400 at the gun shows and have been tempted to pick one up. Can't have too many 1911's can you? Just curious, I'd probably opt to spend a couple hundred more and order an STI Spartan 5 which already has many of the features I want.
Definitely has the feel of competency. I'd rate them right close to even with Springfield Armory's Mil Spec.
There's a small spot on the top slide that seems a little flat, but I'm not sure if it's not an optical illusion due to variance in the texture of the finish at that spot.There's a similar spot on my Colt Officer's ACP

I've no long term experience to say how well the frame and slide will hold up, but from what I've seen so far I think it would be no harder to build a target gun on one of these than it was with old GI guns. The Rock Island is certainly a tighter built gun to start with.

I'd buy from them again.

For those that might not know, Rock Island Armory and STI are partnered with Armscor. Armscor makes 1911s for RIA and the Spartan (at least the frame and slide) for STI.

Barth, KenK, and BEARDOG,
Thanks!

Regards,
Greg

TheTman
04-26-2012, 04:40 PM
So that's why the STI Spartan is affordable, while most of their other guns are are around $2K and up.

dkmatthews
04-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Greg, Bawanna said it best - you MUST be living right! Congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Bawanna
04-28-2012, 07:03 PM
So are we gonna get a range report and hopefully some more pictures of this Arizona built 1911 that continues to reject my advances? Hmmmm???

gb6491
05-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I've bee putting a lot of 9mm down range with RIA 1911. I'm kind of surprised how much I like it; my Hi Power may end up being a safe queen because of it.
One thing I didn't like was how hard the ambi thumb safeties were to remove. it was quite struggle to get them off. I also took some material of the rear sight to drop the POI closer to the POA. This and some shiny spots on the frame from the ambi safeties (and there removal) called for a little refinishing. Nice thing about pakerizing is quite often you can just blast the areas needing work, degrease, put it in the pot, and have a decent finish.
Here's the Rock refinished and fitted with a new single side safety:
http://i49.tinypic.com/1znoktw.jpg
Regards,
Rreg

Tinman507
05-01-2012, 07:25 PM
That is simply gorgeous! Nicely done Greg.

Alfonse
05-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Beautiful guns, knives and a great day that has me smiling for you. Seeing your new Ruger makes me understand what all the gun lust for that model is all about. Greg, not only do you have beautiful guns, but you take fantastic pictures of them. Congrats.

gb6491
05-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Tinman and Alfonse,
Thank you kindly for your comments, they are very much appreciated.:)
Regards,
Greg

les strat
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Last year, when the SR1911's were nowhere to be found, my LGS got one in and stuck it back for me knowing I was keeping an eye out for my brother in law. I bought it and my sis-in-law paid me for it for his Christmas. They are SO nice! Congrats.

Rock Island is nice.
But I'm a stainless man and the Ruger has got my attention.

I work with a guy that bought the RRA in stainless, and it is very nice!

Dirt doc
05-02-2012, 06:57 PM
I also have a RIA 9mm tactical. Mine is a joy to shoot with 124 grain ammo and a frustration with 115 grain. While the 124's function fine, the 115's fail to extract/eject and fail to lock open on last round. I think the recoil spring is a bit heavy for the 115's so I just shoot 124's. Eventually the spring will weaken to the point it likes 115's. Some owners complain about having trouble with HP's. It seems to be a problem RIA will readily fix but you pay the shipping. Mine will function fine with XTP's and for me POA = POI, no adjustments needed. I have trouble seeing the front sight because of color and because I've gotten used to 3 dots. I have some red paint on it but it's still too dark for my liking.

As mentioned previously recoil is nearly nonexistent. The pistol's weight really soaks up recoil. It's too heavy for me to carry but it's a great range 1911 that is cheaper to shoot than the .45's.

O'Dell
05-02-2012, 10:38 PM
I [for me] went out on a limb and bought a RI tactical 45 in nickel in the winter of 2010. It ran perfectly for about 250 rounds, and then managed to get itself stolen. I haven't seen it since. In the brief time I possessed it, it seemed to be a well made but tight pistol and looked pretty good too.

As far as the SR1911, I noticed today my LGS has obtained some for sale and not just to show. The price was $649, but I have no idea what they are selling for elsewhere.

Bawanna
05-03-2012, 09:11 AM
I [for me] went out on a limb and bought a RI tactical 45 in nickel in the winter of 2010. It ran perfectly for about 250 rounds, and then managed to get itself stolen. I haven't seen it since. In the brief time I possessed it, it seemed to be a well made but tight pistol and looked pretty good too.

As far as the SR1911, I noticed today my LGS has obtained some for sale and not just to show. The price was $649, but I have no idea what they are selling for elsewhere.

That's an excellent price. Right where it should be with no gouging. My local dealer that takes care of the dept quoted me right in that neighborhood too.
They haven't seen one and have no idea when they will.
If your looking for one you won't do any better than that.
Go for it.