PDA

View Full Version : OK to Swap 7 and 6 Round Baseplates?

doc540
05-04-2012, 08:54 PM
I didn't want the extra length of a Pearce extension, so I lightly sanded the top of a plastic, 7 round baseplate and installed it on a 6 round mag.

Probably a common swap here, but I'm a noob.

It's a secure seat and drops like a champ. Gives me a tad more to grip when shooting +P CorBon's.

Have I violated some yet-to-learn Kahr rule here? ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Kahr%20CM9%20CW9/BaseplateSwap.jpg

TucsonMTB
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM

We have rules? :o Just kidding . . .

Looks great. Not kidding . . .

PYROhafe
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM
yeah.... been done before, but yours looks good! nice job (for a noob i guess)

doc540
05-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks

It takes a firm tap to secure it, but I do the same with all my semi mag's.

Dooger
05-04-2012, 11:51 PM
I like it. So that's off a Kahr 7 round mag? You just took it off the mag, sanded it and then slipped it on a Kahr 6 round? Or am I missing that it was a Pearce extension?

LorenzoB
05-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Looks good. Welcome aboard from one noob to another! ;)

It is kind of funny that people with plastic base plates switch to metal ones and those with metal ones switch to plastic.

jocko
05-05-2012, 05:45 AM
I didn't want the extra length of a Pearce extension, so I lightly sanded the top of a plastic, 7 round baseplate and installed it on a 6 round mag.

Probably a common swap here, but I'm a noob.

It's a secure seat and drops like a champ. Gives me a tad more to grip when shooting +P CorBon's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Kahr%20CM9%20CW9/BaseplateSwap.jpg

one rule although unwritten is that when u make a nice mod like u did that u should send EVERY forum member over with over 250 posts one of ur mods so we can evaulate them,:D:D Or just send Bawanna and ol Jocko one each and "we will kindly"pass along our evualation. Just sayin:001_tt2:

doc540
05-05-2012, 05:58 AM
I like it. So that's off a Kahr 7 round mag? You just took it off the mag, sanded it and then slipped it on a Kahr 6 round? Or am I missing that it was a Pearce extension?

Yessir, Kahr to Kahr, no Pearce in the mix.

and a very light, and gradual plastic removal from the 7 rounder

And I figured there was a noob rule in there somewhere!:)

hardluk1
05-05-2012, 07:07 AM
I use the 7 round from my CW9 on my cm9 and it sticks out a full 3/4 inch . Not like your is. Wonder way they are so different. I also use a 8 round mag at the range or backup for the one I am carry'n. Never had and problems but can't understand the difference between your trimmed down extention 7 rounder and the standard 7 round mags..

JFootin
05-05-2012, 10:10 AM
I use the 7 round from my CW9 on my cm9 and it sticks out a full 3/4 inch . Not like your is. Wonder way they are so different. I also use a 8 round mag at the range or backup for the one I am carry'n. Never had and problems but can't understand the difference between your trimmed down extention 7 rounder and the standard 7 round mags..

Hardluk, he put a 7 round BASE on a 6 round mag. That's why it isn't as long as yours.

doc540
05-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Great job. Since you had both not an issue, but one gotcha in the swap is that the bottom plate and the retainers are a pair due to different thicknesses and corresponding button heights,. Plastic bottom plate has to have plastic retainer, steel plate needs steel retainer. If you mix them, bottom plate either won't go on or won't stay on, depending on which way you mix them. You can order both kinds of bottom plates from Kahr that are packaged with retainers if you don't have spare mags available.

Yessir, kept the metal retainer with metal plate, and plastic retainer with the plastic plate.

Didn't have to take off much material for it to seat snugly and drop freely.

Following advice from here, I bought 2 extra 6 rounders and 1 extra 7 rounder.

Need extra mags when we shoot a mousegun match. :)

yqtszhj
05-05-2012, 10:30 PM
I like that. I think I'll order a baseplate and retainer ant try it. Good job.

pitandkahr
05-06-2012, 05:22 AM
That looks great!!! Might have to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PYROhafe
05-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Can someone throw me a link to what ide need to order (which base assembly) to do this to one of my six round mags, without having to steal the extension off my 7 rounder? Thanks!

LorenzoB
05-06-2012, 02:57 PM
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11927

I am pretty sure that info is in the thread above. Just be sure to get the matching plastic base lock too. I am almost done with my CNC machined base plate and it looks great (to me). I do want to make some extras to sell to recoup some tooling costs, if you can wait, but I understand if not because it has taken me so long to finish this project.

PYROhafe
05-06-2012, 06:00 PM
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11927

I am pretty sure that info is in the thread above. Just be sure to get the matching plastic base lock too. I am almost done with my CNC machined base plate and it looks great (to me). I do want to make some extras to sell to recoup some tooling costs, if you can wait, but I understand if not because it has taken me so long to finish this project.

Could be interested! Not in a huge hury to do any of it, just like the look better. So when ya get done with the first, send me/post some pics and a price! Or you can PM all that to me if ya want!

david8613
05-08-2012, 09:00 AM
id interested too, any pics of the finished product?

LorenzoB
05-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Sorry, not yet, but I will post and possibly PM people when I have it done. I was planning on making a couple of designs, but just starting with one that matched and fit the bottom of the grip better. Because of that, it requires a second piece that I have not machined yet. I am on vacation this week and will get back to working it next week. Thanks for the interest.

wisconman
05-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Sorry, not yet, but I will post and possibly PM people when I have it done. I was planning on making a couple of designs, but just starting with one that matched and fit the bottom of the grip better. Because of that, it requires a second piece that I have not machined yet. I am on vacation this week and will get back to working it next week. Thanks for the interest.

If your new baseplate fits in better with the lines of the CW9, I would certainly be interested in one. So when you get ready to sell a few of them, would really like to see pics, price, etc.

Jim R

Stock77
05-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Thats a nice modification. I agree that the extra length of the plastic baseplate helps on the PM9. I wish Kahr would make a factory 6 rd mag witih plastic baseplate.