PDA

View Full Version : Glock 29

Gliderguy
05-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Owning an LCP and a PM40, I seem to have a thing for the smallest pistol widely available for a given cartridge. Giving some thought to the 10mm Glock 29. Hickock45 seems to really like his. Any other smallish 10's out there that might be comparable? Would buy a Kahr 10mm if available, but probably not the first year of production. Comments on the Glock 29 or 10mm in general welcome. Might be most used as a backcountry CCW where the predators might be either 2 or 4 legged. Pretty happy with the 40 if more urban and other people might be about, the 10 might just pass on through and say hi to the next one in line...

Markis82
05-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Owning an LCP and a PM40, I seem to have a thing for the smallest pistol widely available for a given cartridge. Giving some thought to the 10mm Glock 29. Hickock45 seems to really like his. Any other smallish 10's out there that might be comparable? Would buy a Kahr 10mm if available, but probably not the first year of production. Comments on the Glock 29 or 10mm in general welcome. Might be most used as a backcountry CCW where the predators might be either 2 or 4 legged. Pretty happy with the 40 if more urban and other people might be about, the 10 might just pass on through and say hi to the next one in line...I saw an episode of Tac Tv where Larry Vickers hit a target at over 250 yards with a Glock 20 10mm. He really likes the 10mm round. If you Google "Larry Vickers 250 yard shot" you can find a lot of info on the shot and the 10mm cartridge.

Yogi 117
05-14-2012, 09:53 PM
While the 10mm round is very effective for defense, it is often hard to find, and expensive. We carried .357 magnums when horseback riding in the wilderness. The .44 magnum is also effective. If, in fact, I were to get a 10mm, it would definitely be a Glock. JMHO! :)

dkmatthews
05-14-2012, 10:01 PM
IMHO, the best affordable way to carry a 10mm is to roll your own ammo. The bullets are the same as those used for .40S&W, so it's just a matter of saving your brass.

roskee
05-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Awesome pistol! Great for bear country! Like mentioned above, the ammo is not as available in stores as the common rounds, and the price is a bit steep.

Other than that, I would mind having the G29 on my hip for hunts! Good luck!

jeepster09
05-15-2012, 06:56 AM
I got the 20 and like it. I think the 29 might have some control issues.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_0996-1.jpg

jlottmc
05-15-2012, 08:33 AM
I want the 20, or a 1911 that is properly setup for 10mm. I wouldn't hesitate to do it if ammo was a little more available. Ask JohnH, he carries a CBOB in 10mm, and I think has a couple of more, should be able to help you more.

david8613
05-17-2012, 07:45 PM
glock 20 is an awesome 10mm auto, lightweight, polymer absorbs hot 10mm recoil nicely, and 15 rounds of 10mm is bad ass! here is mine one of my favorites...
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n592/david8613/th_7fdaa469.jpg (http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n592/david8613/?action=view&current=7fdaa469.jpg)

Barth
05-18-2012, 08:15 AM
If you really want the smallest package in a caliber?
I think you can get a .45 10mm conversion barrel for a Glock G30 from Storm Lake.

Snidely Whiplash
05-18-2012, 08:37 AM
I got the 20 and like it. I think the 29 might have some control issues.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_0996-1.jpg

Jeepster09, thanks for the great photo. How long have you had your laser sight installed? How many rounds have you fired with it? How well does it hold zero? How well has it held up? Sorry about the barrage of questions, but I've been looking for a laser sight for my G23 and have been curious about these for some time. (I've also been looking at Trijicon's RMR sights - OUCH! - they're very expensive for pistol sights.)

SCSportsman
05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm a big 10mm fan and have a CBOB and Glock 20 (gen 2, had for many years). Never shot the 29 (afraid I'd want it), but heard plenty of good about them.

Also, I buy much of my ammo online so availability hasn't been issue.

Highly recommend the 10mm.

Gliderguy
05-18-2012, 11:36 AM
@ Barth: My understanding is the G29 and G30 are the same dimensions, give or take a millimeter.

Barth
05-18-2012, 12:37 PM
@ Barth: My understanding is the G29 and G30 are the same dimensions, give or take a millimeter.

Ops,
I thought the 10mm was a little bigger for some reason???
Guess I just assumed it was....

I held a G30 in my hand at the last gun show here recently
and was surprised at how small it was.

Rented a 10mm Glock years ago, but I think it must have been a G20.

It just seems like ammo selection is an issue?
I'm all about Self Defense and like to use LE ammo.
Winchester Ranger T-Series, Speer GDHP & Federal HST.
I can get those in 38 Special, 9mm, 357 Sig, 40, and 45.
There's even GDHP in 44 Magnum and Winchester PDX1 in 357 Magnum.
These are all the calibers I currently own.

Gliderguy
05-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Barth, I am using 155gr. gold dots in my PM40, figure if there ever is a legal battle over a shooting, having a round that is used by at least some police departments will make my ammo selection a non-issue. The energy numbers it puts out of a 3 inch barrel had a lot to do with my choice, as I think you have posted a similar comment somewhere else.

Just would like to eventually add a 10mm to the collection, and there are not many games in town for that caliber. Figure I can get the initial supply of factory ammo at an online dealer like ammunition to go. Not reloading yet, but it is not out of the question that I might start sometime. Have several co-workers who are proficient in the art...

The 10 could be optimized for somewhat larger than human threats with a totally different bullet choice than one would make for urban SD

I think S&W makes a revolver that can fire both 10mm and 40 S&W with moon clips, that might be a nice trail gun too, but once you go revolver why not go either 357, .41mag or 44 mag. Probably lose 100 fps over comparable auto pistol based on the data at ballistics by the inch.

Barth
05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Barth, I am using 155gr. gold dots in my PM40, figure if there ever is a legal battle over a shooting, having a round that is used by at least some police departments will make my ammo selection a non-issue. The energy numbers it puts out of a 3 inch barrel had a lot to do with my choice, as I think you have posted a similar comment somewhere else.

Just would like to eventually add a 10mm to the collection, and there are not many games in town for that caliber. Figure I can get the initial supply of factory ammo at an online dealer like ammunition to go. Not reloading yet, but it is not out of the question that I might start sometime. Have several co-workers who are proficient in the art...

The 10 could be optimized for somewhat larger than human threats with a totally different bullet choice than one would make for urban SD

I think S&W makes a revolver that can fire both 10mm and 40 S&W with moon clips, that might be a nice trail gun too, but once you go revolver why not go either 357, .41mag or 44 mag. Probably lose 100 fps over comparable auto pistol based on the data at ballistics by the inch.

Yup, Yup,
Speer GDHP 155 is what I run in mu MK40 3.0"
runs about 1150 fps from the short barrel.
I'm not a big fan of auto rounds from a revolver and agree that
a 357 or 44 mag, in a revolver would be a better choice.

Not sure what you mean by lose 100 fps over comparable auto?
I've never heard of that before?
Are you saying that revolvers and autos in the same caliber and length of barrel have a substantial velocity difference?

TheTman
05-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Hey Barth, did you buy some stock in Storm Lake or something? Seems like you mention them in about every post, LOL. Just having some fun at your expense my friend.

Gliderguy
05-18-2012, 04:12 PM
www.ballisticsbytheinch.com (http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com)

They recently have added a section about cylinder gap and its effects. they have set up a 357 revolver with nil, .001, and .006 gap and ran various 38 and 357 loads through to get the net effect of the gap. Seems like in almost all cases, even .001 would lose you 50-80fps vs nil. going up to .006 might be another 50 or so, in very general terms. So I what I take from that is in a real revolver that may not be as tight as .001, you can figure 100 fps loss over a sealed barrel. I guess the catch is revolvers measure only the barrel and not the cylinder, and semi-auto pistols measure the total length from breech face to muzzle tip, so you arent comparing apples to apples.

They haven't tested 40/10mm, or 41 or 44 mag, but I would expect the results to be similar, especially with heavier bullets and higher pressure loads.

EDIT: looking again, those generalizations are a bit high, but you get the general idea.

Barth
05-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Hey Barth, did you buy some stock in Storm Lake or something? Seems like you mention them in about every post, LOL. Just having some fun at your expense my friend.

My friends are always giving me the business - LOL!

Barth
05-18-2012, 04:38 PM
www.ballisticsbytheinch.com (http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com)

They recently have added a section about cylinder gap and its effects. they have set up a 357 revolver with nil, .001, and .006 gap and ran various 38 and 357 loads through to get the net effect of the gap. Seems like in almost all cases, even .001 would lose you 50-80fps vs nil. going up to .006 might be another 50 or so, in very general terms. So I what I take from that is in a real revolver that may not be as tight as .001, you can figure 100 fps loss over a sealed barrel. I guess the catch is revolvers measure only the barrel and not the cylinder, and semi-auto pistols measure the total length from breech face to muzzle tip, so you arent comparing apples to apples.

They haven't tested 40/10mm, or 41 or 44 mag, but I would expect the results to be similar, especially with heavier bullets and higher pressure loads.

I've got a Combat Handguns Feb 2012
They tested the Charter Arms Pitbull 40 S&W revolver with a 2.3" barrel.
Oehler Model 35P chronograph.
Federal Guard Dog 135 gr 1135 fps (rated 1200 from a 4" barrel)
Federal Tactical LE HST HP 180 gr 935 fps (rated 1010 from a 4" barrel)
Speer GDHP LE 165 1033 (rated 1150 from a 4" barrel)
Winchester Supreme PDX1 165 gr 1056

I don't believe anything short of actual ammo, in an actual gun, with a chronograph - LOL!

TheTman
05-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Barth, since you are on such good terms with the Storm Lake folks, how about getting them to make .357 Sig barrel for the P40/CW40? I would love to give that round a try.

Barth
05-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Barth, since you are on such good terms with the Storm Lake folks, how about getting them to make .357 Sig barrel for the P40/CW40? I would love to give that round a try.

I only have four Storm lake barrels.
With number five being manufactured as we speak - LOL!

They are actually kind of specific when it comes to barrels.
Only produce a limited number of versions for;
Glock
Springfield
Sig Sauer
Smith & Wesson

Seems like they specialize in Glock covering most models.
In Sig Sauer only P220 and P226.

I had to break down and go with Bar Sto for my P239 357 Sig.

Far as I know nobody makes after market barrels for Kahr.
Even in my G27 I prefer the ported 4.16" barrel in 357.
The short G33 3.46" boots pretty hard.

Don't know if I'd really want my 3.0" MK40 in 357?
It's just about perfect in 40

Gliderguy
05-18-2012, 06:23 PM
2.3 inch revolver barrel, plus cylinder length gets you really close to 3.5 inches overall. The 4 inch pistol barrel was an overall length, if following standard conventions. Looks like across the board you had about a 75 fps loss compared to the 4 inch test barrel. I suspect the extra half inch would have bought roughly half the velocity difference and the other half is due to the cylinder gap.

The combat handguns test results compare well with the results for 2-3 inch revolver barrels from the BBTI tests.

heck, a barrel that is maybe a few ten thousandths on the loose side of spec might make that much difference in velocity. Just look at how much friction costs the DPX bullets, particularly from longer barrels.

Wow, Hijacked my own thread. ahem. Glock 29, 10mm, still like the idea. Maybe I just need to go get a 500 S&W Bond derringer, break my wrist and put a dent in my forehead, and be done with this small but bada$$ pistol fetish.

Barth
05-18-2012, 06:42 PM
2.3 inch revolver barrel, plus cylinder length gets you really close to 3.5 inches overall. The 4 inch pistol barrel was an overall length, if following standard conventions. Looks like across the board you had about a 75 fps loss compared to the 4 inch test barrel. I suspect the extra half inch would have bought roughly half the velocity difference and the other half is due to the cylinder gap.

The combat handguns test results compare well with the results for 2-3 inch revolver barrels from the BBTI tests.

heck, a barrel that is maybe a few ten thousandths on the loose side of spec might make that much difference in velocity. Just look at how much friction costs the DPX bullets, particularly from longer barrels.

Wow, Hijacked my own thread. ahem. Glock 29, 10mm, still like the idea. Maybe I just need to go get a 500 S&W Bond derringer, break my wrist and put a dent in my forehead, and be done with this small but bada$$ pistol fetish.

I have to admit an interest in 10mm myself.
Thing is I've got 44 and 357 mag revolvers.
And two 357 Sig auto loaders (one with a 4.16" barrel).
Plus my 5.47" barreled .45 with +P 230 gr isn't a slouch either.

bapple
05-18-2012, 09:57 PM
I know what you need...

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/39748-2/coonan_357mag_0856.jpg

http://savethegun.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/coonan357cammo.jpg

A Coonan 357. This will definitely be my next "1911" purchase. I've heard so many reviews of it being very reliable, and I've heard that this delivers the best velocity in .357 since there is no cylinder gap.

Barth
05-18-2012, 10:04 PM
I know what you need
A Coonan 357. This will definitely be my next "1911" purchase. I've heard so many reviews of it being very reliable, and I've heard that this delivers the best velocity in .357 since there is no cylinder gap.

My version of a 357 auto-loader G27 4.16" Ported 357 Sig:
I don't see any cylinder gap?
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo42/84/49/76be54141bc0__1333897030000.jpeghttp://www.themarksman.net/item_photos/large/winchester_ranger__357_sig_t_series__125_gr_2064.j pg

Sig Sauer P239 / 357 Sig
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo36/3b/c7/d35bf19ef4d6__1322778218000.jpg http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/238455/9461119/acfc848.jpg

Gliderguy
05-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Bapple, now you've done it. But not for the reason you think. Had to study that .357 Coonan magazine and was noting how the groove that the follower pin slides through is angled so that the follower can pivot to a different angle as each rimmed cartridge is loaded or ejected. Almost enough data to make me go running back to that other project, the PM40 extra round follower with a new idea.

bapple
05-18-2012, 10:28 PM
My version of a 357 auto-loader G27

.357 magnum, dude. I know plenty about .357 Sig. The .357 magnum is one of the best man-stopping rounds out there, far surpassing 10mm in my eyes since follow-up shots are so much quicker. Maybe I should've been more specific...

This is the ONLY semi-automatic .357 Magnum besides the Desert Eagle, at a fraction of the weight and size. It's very unique, but seems like it would be practical too.

And Glider, the Coonan design is very unique. The magazines are quite interesting and look like they would cause a lot of malfunctions, but from what I've heard and read, that's far from the case. I'm glad Dan Coonan is bringing it back.

Barth
05-18-2012, 10:36 PM
.357 magnum, dude. I know plenty about .357 Sig. The .357 magnum is one of the best man-stopping rounds out there, far surpassing 10mm in my eyes since follow-up shots are so much quicker. Maybe I should've been more specific...

This is the ONLY semi-automatic .357 Magnum besides the Desert Eagle, at a fraction of the weight and size. It's very unique, but seems like it would be practical too.

And Glider, the Coonan design is very unique. The magazines are quite interesting and look like they would cause a lot of malfunctions, but from what I've heard and read, that's far from the case. I'm glad Dan Coonan is bringing it back.

I do have a review of the Coonan with a 5" barrel.
American Eagle 357 Mag 158 gr JSP 1,412 fps
Remington 357 Mag 125 gr JSP 2,167 fps
Black Hills 357 Mag 125 gr JHP 1,343 fps

My Speer GDHP 125 gr 357 Sig are rated at 1,375 from a 4" barrel

Gliderguy
05-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Bapple, 357 Sig or Mag, Definitely Mag if you start running more than 4 inches of barrel length, it really seems a draw if you are running a 4 inch barrel and the Sig is putting out more energy from anything shorter than 4 inches. Granted, you don't see the heavier bullet weights in the Sig so much, so the Magnum gets the versatility nod...

(BBTI data)

My opinion, currently owning neither, but backed by actual data. Could make an even stronger case for the Sig if capacity is part of the question (and that seems tied tight to follow up speed, which I will make no more than an educated guess that the heaviest gun will be quickest back on target)

again, I don't have a dog in the hunt or an axe to grind, but the above is pretty much what I would offer anyone who asked my opinion on the subject.

Didn't really consider it, but wil the Coonan function reliably on 38 spl rounds or is it locked into .357? May possibly have to throw that advantage to the revolver.

bapple
05-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Bapple, 357 Sig or Mag, Definitely Mag if you start running more than 4 inches of barrel length, it really seems a draw if you are running a 4 inch barrel and the Sig is putting out more energy from anything shorter than 4 inches. Granted, you don't see the heavier bullet weights in the Sig so much, so the Magnum gets the versatility nod...

(BBTI data)

My opinion, currently owning neither, but backed by actual data. Could make an even stronger case for the Sig if capacity is part of the question (and that seems tied tight to follow up speed, which I will make no more than an educated guess that the heaviest gun will be quickest back on target)

again, I don't have a dog in the hunt or an axe to grind, but the above is pretty much what I would offer anyone who asked my opinion on the subject.

Didn't really consider it, but wil the Coonan function reliably on 38 spl rounds or is it locked into .357? May possibly have to throw that advantage to the revolver.

Well reliability advantage will ALWAYS go to the revolver. I have read mixed reviews of how 38 runs in them with the lighter recoil spring, but I suspect Coonan is working on fixing that since they just got back in the game.

I guess the question is whether you want something concealable and light (aka snappy but compact) or something full-sized and heavy for recreational/on-the-hip usage. I would give the nod to Glock in the concealability/compactness case since they can keep all the size variables low.

But for awesomeness, uniqueness, exclusivity, sex appeal, and hard-hitting .357 action, the Coonan is hard to beat. I want one of these things so bad it's not even funny.

And Barth, that is some very interesting information. A 158gr bullet coming out around 1400 fps!?!? That is insanely fast. How enjoyable is it to shoot? And do you have a "B" model or one of the newer ones?

Barth
05-19-2012, 03:39 AM
And Barth, that is some very interesting information. A 158gr bullet coming out around 1400 fps!?!? That is insanely fast. How enjoyable is it to shoot? And do you have a "B" model or one of the newer ones?

Don't have a Coonan.
Just a mag with a review and chronograph results.
The Glock G27 357 4.16" ported gun is my EDC.
The Sig Sauer P239 357 is mine as well.
It's getting Big Dots, and SRT kit, trigger job and has an extended triple ported
Bar Sto barrel being manufactured for it.

The Glock weights 27.0 oz loaded with 10 125 gr 357 sig rounds.
And I carry twin G31 15 round mags for reload totaling 40.
With the ported barrel it kicks and has muzzle rise like a shooting 9mm +P.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo05/08/9d/0b2dd8cc4014__1336829397000.jpg

My only real 357 Magnum is a wheelgun, S&W 640-1, that's my sleepy time pistol.
It's loaded with Winchester PDX1 Bonded 125 gr 357 magnum rounds.
rated at 1325 fps from a 4" barrel
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo36/01/b3/7093cae0ae75__1335831475000.jpghttp://www.huntingsuppliesoutfitter.com/shop/media/images/product_detail/wincpics357mpdb.jpg

r2dhart
05-23-2012, 12:47 PM
While the 10mm round is very effective for defense, it is often hard to find, and expensive. We carried .357 magnums when horseback riding in the wilderness. The .44 magnum is also effective. If, in fact, I were to get a 10mm, it would definitely be a Glock. JMHO! :)

+1 - The 10mm is the round that got me to start reloading. Until then I would buy mass quantities of 10mm whenever I could find it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

PostalGlockn
05-29-2012, 06:11 PM
My 10MM consist of a G20 (w/ 6" barrel), G29, S&W 610 (3" & 4" revolvers), and a TC Contender 10" Bullberry. I would really love for Kahr to do a 10MM and .357Sig.

The 10MM is a great round and the G29 is a great gun for it. I carry with the flush mag in and a G20 mag spare. The G20 mag with the grip extention gives you a full-size grip when you want it + 15 rounds of beautiful 10MM.

bapple
05-31-2012, 12:11 PM
You should check out the Kimber Eclipse or the Colt Delta Elite - beautiful 10mms in a 1911 package.

But if you're already set on Glock, then hop on it.