View Full Version : Not everyone likes the Boberg.

TheTman
05-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Here's a shootout between the Boberg XR9S and the Kahr PM9. Kahr wins this round. http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/05/eric-nelson/gun-review-boberg-xr9-s-update/

OldLincoln
05-29-2012, 12:31 PM
I agree that Kahr won the day, but.... the problems he had aren't significant. I read on the site before it was released that you had to shoot rounds that are tightly crimped as the whiplash the rounds get going back with the slide (at a pretty good clip) can cause separation. Had the shooter read the manual he likely would have avoided that issue. As for the mag issue... well it's not like Kahr doesn't experience that now and then. The barrel being off center (but straight) and the mag as simply first gen issues that will go away very quickly.

I'm not pushing the Boberg, but I do cheer innovative thinking and I hope he makes it. There's room for new thinking in any industry. I'm waiting for the shifting mass recoil damper to make it to handguns.

jocko
05-29-2012, 12:40 PM
I guess what is happeinbg to the bobergs insteadof SET BACK now would be SET OFF. We need to have anew term for the bullet coming out of the brass, due to the way the boberg loads over every other gun. I personally would not like that issue , no matter what the manual states. I am not hammering the Boberg's either. Most owners don''t get to read a manual berfore buying a gun, nor do most even pay any attention to what is in owners manual until the issues arrives. That to me would be my biggest concern...

Dmitri
05-29-2012, 01:37 PM
We need to have anew term for the bullet coming out of the brass, due to the way the boberg loads over every other gun.
"Bobergized"? :)

jocko
05-29-2012, 02:17 PM
now that is a cool term. I like that!!! Just sayin.

TheTman
05-29-2012, 03:11 PM
He did say in the comments he'd update his report when he got the gun back from Boberg. Glad he's giving it another chance. I've not had any separation issues at all, even using the Sellier-Beloit that is not on the approved ammo list. Both mags work well. I have enough trust in it to carry it quite a bit, with no BUG. I'm carrying Hydra-Shoks, or Federal Premium.. Personal Defense as they are labeled now. 124gr. I'm kind of breaking my own rule of not carrying a gun without 500 flawless rounds thru it, only have 400 some, but with no problems at all other than not giving the slide a good yank back to chamber the first round and having it get hung up.
Oh and was glad to see and independent tester get one and put it thru the paces, and have some problems.
All I've seen were mostly good reports from owners, with very few problems, the main one being reported is getting beaned in the forehead by some hot cases. WWB doesn't do it, but the Hydra-Shoks do pretty regularly. Some get the slide locked back and can't get it closed. That's been about the worst of what I've seen.

muggsy
05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
To my way of thinking a good gun should be able to digest just about anything that its fed. I'm not knocking Boberg, but I think that his design still needs a little work.

MW surveyor
05-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Any idea why there is no follower in the mag?

jocko
05-29-2012, 04:13 PM
To my way of thinking a good gun should be able to digest just about anything that its fed. I'm not knocking Boberg, but I think that his design still needs a little work.

totally agree but other makers like Kimber in their solo stress hot ammo, Rohrbaugh, statesd even the brande u should shoot. so as far as I am concerned, if u buy any of those two above or the Boberg and did ur homework before hand, then u have zero b!tch if it doesn't eat um all. Kahrs are not ammo sensitive, They do seem to eat anything that goes into the pipe. I like that feature. I just can't cuddle up to the bullets coming out of the cases, no matter what brand they say to stay away form, they never can be sure that the brand they specify will be right...Just sayin..:banplease:

mightymouse
05-29-2012, 06:06 PM
jmo, but the pricier the gun, the more reliable and less finicky it should be.

OldLincoln
05-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Any idea why there is no follower in the mag?

I'm going to guess that is allows one more round than with a follower.

TheTman
05-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I'll try and address your thoughts.
On being ammo sensitive. Since this gun pulls rounds out of the rear of the magazine at a very high velocity with at a high G force, bullets that are not well crimped can separate from the case. Hence the ammo sensitivity.
There is no follower in the mag, as it's unnessisary to hold the slide open or anything, you cycle the gun starting with the slide closed, so the tongs can grab a cartridge out of the mag, and insert it into the feed path. I think a follower would look nice in the mag, and might help the spring from popping out, but that would be it's only purpose.
I agree somewhat, with you mightymouse and muggsy, the higher priced the gun, the less ammo sensitive it should be, but due to the unique feeding system, uncrimped bullets just won't cut the mustard. That's just the way things work out in real life sometimes. Jocko mentioned a couple ammo sensative brands that are in the same price range. I'd bet there are several others. From what I've read here on the forum, Kahr's own P380 is pricey yet seems a little ammo sensitive.
As long as the Boberg shoots Wally World WWB, I'm happy with it, Most of the premium self defense loads are on the approved list. Silvertips and Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P being the only exception, Silvertips had 1 separation out of a box of 50. The Gold Dots had 1 separation out of 85 rounds. Other Gold Dots are on the approved list.
I'm betting some of those Bill Wilson and Les Baer custom 1911's are a little on the ammo sensative side. Here is a list of ammo that has issues with the Boberg, it's really not all that many brands, or much of a big deal (to me anyway). Most of it is FMJ, for which WallyWorld WWB does the trick for me.
Bitterroot Valley Ammunition (BVAC reloads) 115gr (2 separations in 150 rounds)
Blazer Brass (5 separations in 6 magazines)
Blazer Aluminum Case (2 separations in 9 shots)
Federal Champion (separations in batches prior to summer of 2010 as well as 1/12)
Independence 115gr FMJ (2 separations in 2 magazines)
Independence 124gr FMJ (1 separation in a case of 50)
MFS Russian Zinc Plated Steel Case 115gr (extra rounds ejected)
Sellier and Bellot 115gr and 124gr (Hard Primers but works well with 7.5lb trigger spring or stronger)
Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P (1 separation in 85 rounds)
Speer Lawman FMJ (2 separations in a case of 50)
Tula Steelcase 115gr (Hard Primers)
Winchester Silver Tips 115gr (1 separation malfunction in a case of 50)

Longitude Zero
05-30-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm betting some of those Bill Wilson and Les Baer custom 1911's are a little on the ammo sensative side.

During the break in period they are. After 500 rounds my brother in laws Les Baer has eaten everything it has been fed and is over 10,000 rounds and going strong.

Popeye
05-30-2012, 10:56 AM
I wish Boberg the best, but I have to tell you that pistol really does nothing for me.

Longitude Zero
05-30-2012, 12:12 PM
I wish Boberg the best, but I have to tell you that pistol really does nothing for me.

Me either as it violates Occams Razor of Keep It Simple.

jocko
05-30-2012, 01:55 PM

a big 10-4. I don't wish any noew product any bad luck.
Alot of peoploe have invested alot in the Boberg, many that we will never know about. Becvuase it wll never sit inmy stables means nadda either.:popcorn:

TheTman
05-30-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm glad we have a wide selection of firearms in this country, everyone can find something they like. Arne said there was no mag follower as it would serve no function. Bullets seem to slide right over the end of the spring easily enough. I think it'd look better with a follower, but it's not my design. Arne said the idea for the design came from a machine gun, and if it will hold up to use in a machine gun, then I think it should work out for a pistol. It is kind of an odd looking thing. He's working on one with a more traditional look with a couple inches of barrel in front of the trigger guard. He wanted to bring that out first, but popular demand had him bring out the shorty first. I like it, it fits well in my pocket, is fairly easy shooting for such a small gun, Much nicer to shoot than that POS Diamondback DB9. I do wish they'd make more mags so I could have another spare. Maybe even an extended mag with 8 rounds instead of 7. It kind of has a nerd factor to it for me, as it looks like something Captain Kirk might have used.
But the gun is accurate, the trigger pull is getting smoother, I don't expect it to have Kahr smooth trigger, since it's operating a hammer, but it's really not too bad at all. And it's went bang every time I've pulled the trigger. If you think about it, there are some pretty complicated weapons people use every day, like the lever action rifle. It takes a cartridge out of the tube, and pushes it up to chamber level, then chambers it. Pump and Semi action shotguns are somewhat complicated. The military uses those gatling guns with great success, I'd say they were way complicated. But, keeping things simple is a good thing too.
I'll just have to see if mine is still working 10 years from now, doubt If I get up near Jocko's record, but I'll see what I can do. I'm not out to try and sell you all a Boberg, or anything else, I just thought it was cool to see a negative review on it after hearing nothing bad except some pretty minor stuff. I'd like to see some other reviewers get their hands on it too, except for Jeff Quinn, he likes everything. I'd LOVE to see Hitchcock45 do a video on one, he doesn't seem to pull any punches.

kb2wji
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Sooo... Am I the only one who thinks that thing is cool looking? And hey, my PM9 was a total nightmare out of the box. Sometimes the finer things in life need a little more TLC. Thats cool with me. :)