PDA

View Full Version : New PM45 Range report

kpm9
09-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I managed to pick up a PM45 @ a gun show yesterday. I received a good deal @approx 630.00 out the door. No night sights or anything special, just a nice PM45. After reading reviews on the PM45 for a while, I new I wanted to try one but was a little uncertain about buying one.

After getting it home and cleaning it, I noticed the barrel coating appears different than the PM9 I have. It's similar looking to the hard chrome on my LWRC M6A2 bolt carrier. Very nice looking.
Everything on the pistol checked out, the workmanship is A1 so today I headed to the range.

I took 200 rounds of WWB and 20 rounds of Remington 185gr HP. I fired 160 rounds of the WWB and 20 rounds of the Remington. The gun functioned near perfect. No failures to extract, no failures to feed. No problems when loading 5+1. I say near perfect, because later in the session, I did experience the mag popping out on the 5 round. I'm not totally convinced it wasn't due to fatigue. I will wait until further range sessions before making a judgement, but I have faith it will be worked out.

Felt recoil was quite manageable and not much more than my PM9.
Accuracy was excellent, as expected from a Kahr. Here is 2 mags (11 rounds off hand @ approx 25'. I show this group after putting a couple of mags through it initially.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc10/BW1911/pm45_target.jpg

And here is the new pistol.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc10/BW1911/pm45.jpg

Oh yeah... the barrel after the range session, shows little wear on the outside incredibly.
Is there a new coating Kahr is using on the outside of barrels?

jocko
09-06-2009, 03:06 PM
that barrel wear is normal. I have no idea what kind of coating they are putting those barrels but they are not on there to last long. I took a dremel and polishing cone and compount to my entire barrel. It shines like a diamond and it ain't gonna rust.

Nice gun, nice shot group for just starting out with a kahr..

8th SPS USAF
09-07-2009, 09:38 AM
KPM9,
Just to let you know, all the 45 KAHR mags work in PM 45. I use
P45 and T45 mags for my PM/P 45's I called KAHR and then bought
two T 45 mags. Good Luck
8th

kpm9
09-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks 8th SPS USAF. Does anyone make grip extensions for the larger mags like in the XD?

8th SPS USAF
09-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Not that I know of, but they are not bad. If you have a larger hand. Sm
hand they just hang down. Good luck Still wish they made a replacement
mag base with finger rest.
8th