PDA

View Full Version : Another reloading question

AIRret
06-05-2012, 09:44 AM
What do you think about automatic powder dispensers? We have seen a RCBS or Hornady unit for around $200.00 to $300.00

ez9
06-07-2012, 07:01 AM
i am old school, i cowboy load.

type;"quick .38 special cowboy loads " in youtube

just me though, your prob a bigtime turret press loader. I do 90% of my loading in chair watching TV.

ultratec1
07-09-2012, 03:28 PM
I have 2 RCBS chargemasters and I like them. The one thing about them is if you are looking for speed then these are not your answer.....if you are looking for exact charge dispensed then this is your cup of tea.

I have a lee cast turret press and I was running unique for my powder. After a few 100 rounds I noticed that the charge weight was off a 1 gr. I had to change the disk and go back to reloading, then it did it again and I was off 1 gr. This continued until I got sick of it and bought the Chargemaster. The thing that I found out is Unique is not very good at metering through the auto disk. I switched to titegroup and the auto disk throws dead on charges.

CJB
07-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I've got a traditional measure - and it works just fine, within a one or two .1's of a grain on pistol powders.

Same on rifle, but the margin of error will be a little more... but not much.

The thing with powder, is unless you weigh EVERY charge, you dont know whats going on. So then, you have to live with an approximation of what you desire, knowing that the density of the powder in the hopper is gonna make charge weights vary. A nearly empty hopper is bad news.

MW surveyor
07-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Google up powder baffles. They seem to keep the charges pretty even. Made one for my Lee pro dispenser but now can't remember where I got the drawings from.

Man I hate it when that happens!

DubDubU
07-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Here are instructions and templates for making your own powder baffle.
Worked great after I found the proper material.

http://ebookbrowse.com/10528d1320785845-powder-measures-powder-baffle-instructions-and-templates-pdf-d273611131

DKD
07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
You are right Unique powder can be more difficult to deal with unless you pay attention. I have used it for over three decades due its versatility in so many calibers. Just don't let your powder measure go below half full and use the same technique each and every time and you will get consistant .1 grain accuracy which is more than adequate for 99% of all pistol shooters can shoot.
Now for working up high intensity loads I still always weigh each charge of powder.