PDA

View Full Version : New member here

Luis50
06-08-2012, 09:15 AM
I just got a good deal on a well used Black PM9 last week and 50 or so rounds of ball ammo later, so far so good. Got a few boxes of Speer Gold Dots to try out on it. If that goes well, it will be a nice carry gun when the Glocks are too big.

I bought the gun at a local store and have no record of maintenance so a new recoil spring is on the way. Don't really know what else I should replace but open to suggestions. The mag is brand new. Thanks.

skiflydive
06-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Welcome to the forum. There's a ton of information here and you'll have fun exploring. Enjoy your new gun. PM and CM9's are great.

TheTman
06-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Welcome to the Forum Luis50. Enjoy your new purchases! The new recoil spring is a good idea, not knowing how many shots have been run through the gun.

Infidel proud
06-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Welcome and congrats! The new springs are a great start, and should be all you need for now. Keep shooting and enjoy, we are here to help if anything comes up...

Bill K
06-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Welcome to KahrTalk.

I almost exculively pocket carry my PM9 so it has largerly supplanted my pocket .380. It, the PM9, has also bitten into a bunch of my Glock 26 carry. If I had gotten my PM9 first and knew what I know today I'd probably just have it and some sort of .45 ACP for carry guns.

Luis50
06-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Just came back from the range with the PM9. I had 2 fail to feed out of 80 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain. Not bad but not good enough for carry yet. I love this little pistol and will do anything I can to get it right...no rush.

First, some different ammo and new recoil spring and see how that goes. I'll also search the forum more for some tips. Thanks again.

Bawanna
06-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Try the new spring, the Gold Dot should be fine. If it isn't we need to find out why and fix it.

Snidely Whiplash
06-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Just came back from the range with the PM9. I had 2 fail to feed out of 80 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain. Not bad but not good enough for carry yet. I love this little pistol and will do anything I can to get it right...no rush.

First, some different ammo and new recoil spring and see how that goes. I'll also search the forum more for some tips. Thanks again.

Welcome aboard. That's the spirit - take a little time to get it right. You won't regret it. The know-how available here is amazing and readily available, so make use of it as you get used to your new gun. Let us know how it goes.

bandrich
06-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Welcome Luis50 from S.E. Wisconsin. :)

Sage
06-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Welcome to the forum. I hope that after you put in the new spring and run a few more rounds through it that it shoots the way it should. My PM9 has been 100% reliable since the first shot. I carry it every day.

Luis50
06-08-2012, 06:05 PM
New spring is on the way. The pistol was made in May 2009. Whoever owned it before, shot it alot...its got all the signs of that. It feeds ball ammo with no problems. I'm going to try a JHP with a narrower tip as the 2 out of 80 Gold Dots that didn't feed seem to be stuck in the ramp. Tap, rack and fire took care of that.

I'll keep you all posted and thanks.

CJB
06-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Welcome .... love my PM9j (Jocko model)

Its soon to be black... as soon as I get some good weather to spray it!

Never missed a beat. Eats everything I feed it.

Enjoy yours! And congrats on the acquisition!

kramm
06-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Welcome to Kahr Talk. Congratulations on your new (to you) pm9. Don't know if you know there are two different styles of recoil springs or not. If your new spring is longer than the one in your gun you may have to trim it. Bawanna or Jocko can help with this.
Good Luck.

RedRyder
06-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the forum. I've really enjoyed the vast amount of knowledge available here. Of course like any forum, some of it is half vast:-) I love my p9. My favorite carry pistol of all time. May eventually try a PM or CM for pocket carry when I can't belt carry my P9. Glad your on board and enjoy shooting your new baby.

Bawanna
06-09-2012, 11:23 AM
"some of it is half vast:-)"

Dang it, he's onto me!

Luis50
06-15-2012, 03:30 PM
The G19 ate the Golden Sabres!LOL The bad news... the PM9 didn't. It failed to feed 1 of 25 rounds and I stopped. The first JHP was Gold Dots that produced the same failure.

The thing eats up some fmj with no problem. I shot about 50 of those today.

This is a new recoil assembly and polished ramp. Even though this gun is used and was made in May of 2009, maybe it can use a new gun prep. I'll try that and some different JHP.

muggsy
06-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Luis, I've fed my CM9 a steady diet of 124 gr. Gold Dots since the break-in period with zero failures of any kind. There is a sticky concerning bullets striking the slide release that could be causing your feed problem. Also, my CM9 like to run wet. There is a sticky on cleaning and lubing the pistol that you should read. You'll find both in the tech section of this MB.

Luis50
06-16-2012, 03:41 AM
Luis, I've fed my CM9 a steady diet of 124 gr. Gold Dots since the break-in period with zero failures of any kind. There is a sticky concerning bullets striking the slide release that could be causing your feed problem. Also, my CM9 like to run wet. There is a sticky on cleaning and lubing the pistol that you should read. You'll find both in the tech section of this MB.

I saw the sticky but where is the fix for this problem?

jocko
06-16-2012, 05:27 AM
if u have rounds hitting the slide lock lever on the insidek, call kahr and ask for a new slide lever. THEN take ur defective slide lock lever anbd gently file b ack that little num that is hitting the rounds on the inside. Smooth it out again and retest. Just take alitte bit off and retest. Once it clears, u should be good to go and u now have a spare slide stop lever to.

OR change to another brand of ammo that clears. some rounds are more critical than others for doing this.

Luis50
06-17-2012, 05:06 AM
I tried Powerball yesterday. It failed to feed 1 of 20. It also ftf 1 fmj which hadn't happened before.

I do see a bronze colored deposit on the small part of the slide lock that goes under the spring during assembly. Is this the part that gets filed down? During the test found in a sticky where you check for this with the slide off and a mag inserted, I don't see any contact but as I slide the mag up and down the round does get close to it.

Is there a pic of this part of the slide release somewhere?

jocko
06-17-2012, 05:59 AM
the round will get close to the slide stop but sould not hit it. Clean that iside part of the slide stop off where it sticks out and then retest to see if rounds are hitting it. Powerballis a good round, it should never getcflose to that slide stop .

withthe slide off the gun and the slide lock lever back in like it should be, then insert an empty magazine and watch what that slide stop is doing. The part of te slide stop that engages the magazine follower on the last round is what could be hitting the rounds on the inside.

Failure to feed could also be at round 2/3 the follower in the magazine is getting caught a tad by the mag release button and causing this to happen. In the kahr prep section it tells u how to look for this andhow to fix it easily. This IMO could be more ur issue than the slide lever but b oth need to be checked out by you. Thefollower getting grabbed a tad by te mag release button has been more common of than the slide release lever being out of spec..

PM sent