PDA

View Full Version : Cant decide between CW45 and glock 36

titus1971
06-14-2012, 09:16 AM
My current CC guns are a glock 23 and a cm9 (depending on the weather and how I'm dressed) I wanted to get a single stack 45 to add to my CCW wardrobe and I've narrowed it down to a CW45 or a GLock 36. I have several Glocks and Kahrs and I realize that there are differences and that the tighter tolerance Kahrs need the break in period. I really like the out of the box reliability of the Glocks but man the CW45 just feels so dang good I cant get her out of my head. I think I have to give the slight edge in carry compfort to the Kahr from what little testing I've been able to do. On paper it's only marignally thinner thant the Glock but it seems to feel much smaller tucked into a belt (just playing with them in gun shops) Anybody have both that can share some real world experience or likes/dislikes about either?

Double3
06-14-2012, 09:23 AM
I have a Glock 36 and really like it.

It conceals great as well.

titus1971
06-14-2012, 09:28 AM
I have a Glock 36 and really like it.

It conceals great as well.

How do you carry? (IWB/OWB) and type of holster. one of the edges the glock has is that I already have lasers and holsters that should work with them, not that I'm opposed to buying new gun accessories. :D

Double3
06-14-2012, 09:33 AM
How do you carry? (IWB/OWB) and type of holster. one of the edges the glock has is that I already have lasers and holsters that should work with them, not that I'm opposed to buying new gun accessories. :D
IWB with a crossbreed supertuck.

It's amazing how comfortable it is.

dkmatthews
06-14-2012, 11:18 AM
I used to carry a Glock 22 exclusively as my OC and CC piece. Once I picked up a Kahr TP45 and became confident that it was as reliable as my Glock, it became my default carry piece. I don't miss carrying the Glock at all but I still enjoy shooting it at the range.

yqtszhj
06-14-2012, 11:26 AM
You could get the Kahr and 10 boxes of ammo for what a Glock cost. Just a thought.

I really like the Kahr trigger and the straight grip compared to the glock and the way they make me put my fingers in a certain place. The Glock's just don't fit me well is a big problem for me.

eagle00
06-14-2012, 01:01 PM
I have a Glock 36 which I absolutely love. Am also looking at adding the CW45.
The dimension differences between the G36 & the CW45 are very slight. However, the CW45 is slightly thinner than the G36, and even though on paper it may not appear to be much (~1.06" vs 1.13"), for CCW it does translate into a considerable difference. The heights are basically equal, with the CW45's length ~.45" shorter. If your most important criteria is for CCW, the CW45 has an advantage, not to mention the price ($200+ cheaper). You would then have to consider the break-in period, etc.... Also consider pjholster.com for a very thin kydex holster. As I mentioned, I will be adding the CW45 to my collection. You can't go wrong with either. I would probably get the CW45 first (budget reasons) and later on the G36.
Best of luck....

HenryinFlorida
06-14-2012, 04:27 PM
I have, and carry the CW45 in one of PJ's IWB holsters. It carry's really nice. I just bought my first Glock. It's the G21SF. I know, it's a full size pistol, but it shoots eally nice. and the trigger puts my Ruger LCP, LC9 and Kahr CW45 to shame.

eagle00
06-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Today I was able to hold and look at the CW45. I really like it and will definitely add it to my collection. As I previously stated, I have a Glock 36 which I love. However, the CW45 "fits my hand" better than does the G-36. The CW45 also seems to be smaller than the "on paper" comparison with the Glock 36 would indicate. The break-in and any possible issues with the CW45 not withstanding, if you are patient and follow the recommendations in this form (if needed) I would get the CW45 before I purchased the Glock 36. Just MHO, FWIW.

titus1971
06-15-2012, 02:49 PM
That's kind of where I'm at, the Kahr just seems to feel better in the hand and in the waistband. Considering its close to $200 cheaper than the Glock I'm leaning in that direction. I've had a couple different Kahrs and I have no problem with the prepping and the break in period (even though all I've ever had were fine right out of the box)

titus1971
06-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Well after much window shopping and fondling of the hardware I finally decided on the CW45. I purchased it online since it was nearly $100 cheaper than any local dealer I found. I'll post a range report after it comes in.

CJB
06-30-2012, 09:07 PM
psssst..... PM45, the ultimate carry 45

Tejano
06-30-2012, 10:36 PM
I owned a glock 36 but eventually sold it because it had too much muzzle whip. It wasn't punishing or causing me to readjust my grip. But it was making it difficult to place quick accurate follow-up shots. The CW45 is much more shootable. Allowing me to quickly and accurately stay on target.

Kolchakxi
03-30-2013, 05:13 PM
I own both a CW45 and Glock36. I have carried both pistols openly and concealed, in a variety of holsters. It comes down to personal preference. Although I have always been a Glock & Sig guy, my first exposure to Kahr pistols was within the last year. I bought the CW45 and sold it about 4 months later, after which I immediately regretted doing so. So, about a month later I bought it back from the guy. Now, the CW45 is my daily carry just based on comfort, weight, and thickness. I find it much more comfortable and concealable that the G36, particularly in my crossbreed IWB (which is the most comfortable holster I've ever used). So much so, that now I'm considering selling the G36. Just my 2 cents.

1911luver
03-31-2013, 02:32 PM
I have owned a glock 36 and it was a great gun I just got a Kahr CW45,I like the kahr much better in all regards.

I've been a kahr fan for a long time and glock as well,but to me kahr got the slim,light design right for CCW. The kahr also fits my hands much better.

Now I haven't shot my CW45 yet so I can't comment on how the two guns handle recoil,but my glock 36 handled very well for such a small .45. I see no reason the kahr won't handle even better.

I've owned four kahr handguns and they handle recoil very well. I'd go with the CW45 hands down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk

O'Dell
04-01-2013, 02:05 PM
In a weak moment I once looked at a 36 and even held it briefly, but fortunately reason set in and I put it back in the case. I carry a CW45 about 75% of the time. :ohmy:

AdamSean
04-04-2013, 10:37 PM
I had a Glock 36 in the past and loved it! Only had to sell it to get some quick cash. I am actually thinking of getting the Kahr CW45 though since I have the opportunity. I used to carry my G36 in a DeSantis Sof-Tuck. Not bad, but still bulky. The Kahr will undoubtedly carry slimmer and more comfortable. The thing I can't understand is why Glock gave the G36 a short grip and have a grip extension on all G36 mags. The Kahr CW45 has a full grip. Another reason I want to try it out.

frank_drebin
04-04-2013, 10:50 PM
XDs
:)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/05/aru7abut.jpg

SSL
04-05-2013, 05:41 AM
I was fortunate enough to have a friend with a Glock 36 at the time I was contemplating a small .45 to replace my Ruger LC9 (just not a big 9mm fan). He loaned it to me for a weekend trip where I carried it IWB every waking minute. While I can't say it was uncomfortable, it still offered a bit more weight and thickness than I wanted. I decided on the CW45 and the difference (regardless of "paper statistics") was like night and day. I have no issue with Glocks, but the CW is far more comfortable for me to carry. It all depends on likes and dislikes. Try both if possible and see what works best.

dkmatthews
04-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Everybody who has said they like both the Glock G36 and the Kahr CW45 but ended up choosing the Kahr for EDC ..........

This mirrors my experience exactly. The only difference for me is that I cut my teeth with Glocks over 15 years ago and more than 12 years before I had even heard of a Kahr.

I would advise everyone to have BOTH the Kahr and the Glock, though. The Kahr is far and away more comfortable and easier to carry. The Glock, however, is a not just a service pistol but a battle pistol. When the day comes that all hell breaks loose, you won't have to worry about the Glock jamming up on you from lack of lubrication or dirt & grime. It will just work.

I consider my Kahr to be my primary insurance and the Glock as the backup insurance, like having RAID 1 drive duplication onsite and having data backups to an offsite system.

JFootin
04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
XDs
:)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/05/aru7abut.jpg

Frank, you're a man of few words. You just let your pecker...oops, I mean picture talk for you! :001_tt2:

Yes, the XDs should be considered in this discussion.

Longitude Zero
04-05-2013, 10:52 AM
I carried a Glock and and XD on duty for years. Both are fantastic weapons. If I were to buy the new XDS it would give my CW45, which I adore, a run for its money. I believe we all need to have at least 2 CCW weapons that we are competent and carry each in its own need,

For instance I carry the CW45 as my primary CCW. However at church I use my SIG P290RS. Different geography, situation, needs. I get a bit agitated when a person has a be all end all only one CCW weapon for all occasions. Proper and diligent situation assessment will address these concerns.

Bawanna
04-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Although there is truth in the adage, beware the man that owns just one gun, he most likely knows how to use it.

jocko
04-05-2013, 11:34 AM
but if he only had one arm, would that adage still hold true??? Just sayin

Longitude Zero
04-05-2013, 11:59 AM
I own lots of'em and am profecient with them all. Now if this dang ammo pinch would end so I can go shoot more...