PDA

View Full Version : P380 Break in????

fatjack34
02-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Got my P380 10 days ago. 2 trips to the range with a serious cleaning and oil in between and 100 rounds each session. Per the manual, break in is complete.
Here is the results: First hundred rounds of Independence Ammo and had about 4-5 Jams. Ammo not that bad, and not that dirty. I think it is a FEDERAL off shoot. I swabbed 2 times during first round of 100. Used a Q tip and solvent for a quick swabbing.
2nd trip today. Another 100 rounds. No cleaning during session...6 jams.
Used Aguila ammo and it was ok, but FILTHY!

Now I need to figure out if the new P380 is problematic with jamming or the 2 sessions were problematic due to the fact the ammo wasn't top shelf! Other then the jams, I love the Kahr! Perfect for carry. Shoots like a dream, slightly low, but nothing too serious. I do want the jams to stop as it would be the last think I want to think about God forbid I need it in a tight spot!

Any suggestions????

Vinikahr
02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Got my P380 10 days ago. 2 trips to the range with a serious cleaning and oil in between and 100 rounds each session. Per the manual, break in is complete.
Here is the results: First hundred rounds of Independence Ammo and had about 4-5 Jams. Ammo not that bad, and not that dirty. I think it is a FEDERAL off shoot. I swabbed 2 times during first round of 100. Used a Q tip and solvent for a quick swabbing.
2nd trip today. Another 100 rounds. No cleaning during session...6 jams.
Used Aguila ammo and it was ok, but FILTHY!

Now I need to figure out if the new P380 is problematic with jamming or the 2 sessions were problematic due to the fact the ammo wasn't top shelf! Other then the jams, I love the Kahr! Perfect for carry. Shoots like a dream, slightly low, but nothing too serious. I do want the jams to stop as it would be the last think I want to think about God forbid I need it in a tight spot!

Any suggestions????

Shoot it in 50 rounds intervals clean and repeat. It should be functional by now.

jwr
02-23-2010, 09:39 PM
If it was still jamming towards the end of your 200 round break-in then I'd give Kahr a call.

In-Yo-Grill
02-24-2010, 05:40 AM
If it was still jamming towards the end of your 200 round break-in then I'd give Kahr a call.

I'd be a little more patient. Try to make sure you are firing better quality ammo. The cheap stuff may be good for a Bersa .380 but the Kahr's have such tight tolerances that I think it needs more time for break in. I'd say give it another 100rnds to be sure.

If you could, please describe the "jams". Is it failing to feed the next round or is it failing to eject the spent casing etc...?

fatjack34
02-24-2010, 06:04 AM
The jams are NOT stove pipe type jams. The slide stays open, and the round won't eject some time. Other times it won't feed and a simple tug back on the slide feeds it.

fatjack34
02-24-2010, 06:07 AM
As far as better quality ammo usage....sheeeet! I would love to, but the reason I used the Aguila and Independence, is that it was all I could find available anywhere...including on line!

In-Yo-Grill
02-24-2010, 07:17 AM
As far as better quality ammo usage....sheeeet! I would love to, but the reason I used the Aguila and Independence, is that it was all I could find available anywhere...including on line!

Understood. I experienced some of the same FTF issues with the round not completely feeding into the chamber. I'm going to put another 100rnds through it and see if the problem goes away.

fatjack34
02-24-2010, 08:15 AM
I will too...I have 100 rounds of the Filthy Aguila ammo. I will clean and oil the piece and see what happens...

jocko
02-24-2010, 08:56 AM
I can only relate to my P380. I had alot of issues with Indenpendace ammo. nOT A BIT OF ISSUES WITH ANY OTHER BRAND. there fore I don't shoot that stuff anymore.

wyntrout
02-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Pay attention to the feed ramp as it can really load up with "soot" and cause failures to feed. You might need Q-tips for the P380. I could barely get my pinky with a paper towel in to clean the ramps without breaking the gun down each time with my PM9 and K9. That was using "dirty" range fodder. I polished the ramps with a "dremel" when I got home.
Wynn

jocko
02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Pay attention to the feed ramp as it can really load up with "soot" and cause failures to feed. You might need Q-tips for the P380. I could barely get my pinky with a paper towel in to clean the ramps without breaking the gun down each time with my PM9 and K9. That was using "dirty" range fodder. I polished the ramps with a "dremel" when I got home.
Wynn

rum my 9mm snake fromt he mag well throughthe P380 barrel and really clean up that ramp after shooting it ... Doing it fromt he top, misses the ramp area..

wyntrout
02-24-2010, 12:03 PM
That was just for expedience at range. The PM9 is easily taken apart, but just for the sooty ramp I was being lazy at the range.
I'm looking forward to shooting up my emergency buy of 200 rounds of Aguila back when I was worried about not finding any to break in my P380 -- NOT! I stopped worrying about that after I got my PM9.:D
Wynn

fatjack34
02-24-2010, 02:15 PM
All I can say about the AGUILA ammo is that my experience was it is filthy chit! And it didn't feed all that well in my p380...but that could be due to the fact I was not swabiing the ramp and action during the firing of 100 rounds...maybe it works fine when everything is cleaned after a few rounds, but the stuff is sooty.

Jarhead
02-27-2010, 08:27 PM
I picked up a new P380 last week and gave it a good cleaning and lube prior to going to the range (used a combo of Wilson syn grease and a light oil on all contact points).

Shooting all WWB, I fired 180 rounds without the slightest hiccup… I was actually quite surprised, most Kahr’s I’ve had in the past have needed at least 100 rounds of break-in before they were totally reliable – it gave me a good feeling about the P380 when I didn’t experience any reliability issue in the least.

I would use good quality ammo if you can scrounge some up and try it out then… the WWB was their RN flat point and about 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense.

Vinikahr
02-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I picked up a new P380 last week and gave it a good cleaning and lube prior to going to the range (used a combo of Wilson syn grease and a light oil on all contact points).

Welcome to the Board and I thank you for your service!

Shooting all WWB, I fired 180 rounds without the slightest hiccup… I was actually quite surprised, most Kahr’s I’ve had in the past have needed at least 100 rounds of break-in before they were totally reliable – it gave me a good feeling about the P380 when I didn’t experience any reliability issue in the least.

200 rounds as per Kahr manual.

I would use good quality ammo if you can scrounge some up and try it out then… the WWB was their RN flat point and about 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense.

Good luck finding quality ammo, whatever you can get is a plus.

wyntrout
02-28-2010, 12:50 AM
You really have to watch the 'Net and be poised to take advantage of good prices and deals on ammo.
http://www.ammoengine.com/ is a good place to look for stuff -- real easy to search for particular ammo and best prices.
Cabela's has deals and discounts to watch for. Currently they offer free shipping on orders of at least $150 through the 8th or 9th.
Sportsman's Guide has decent prices when they get the ammo you want and they are up front with "In Stock" and when they expect other stuff. If you join you get 10% of everything but ammo, which is 5% off and you can usually get $10 off purchases of $99 or more.
Gun shows have been pretty pricey on defense ammo and .380 is high.
I just bought some Blazer .45 ACP FMJ from Widener's for breaking in my PM45. All I have right now is Wolf and that's pretty dirty and steel-cased. I really looked for better ammo and the Blazer was the best priced FMJ($15.95/50) and non-Russian steel-cased.
Wynn:)

In-Yo-Grill
02-28-2010, 06:38 AM
I got an e-mail for Cabelas but they are backordered on most of their ammo. I hate teasers...

recoilguy
02-28-2010, 08:15 AM
OP you seem to be doing everything right. It is good to break in your weapon and to get to know it and to keep it clean. I give my guns all a good polishing on the ramp, it is not always necessary but it never hurt yet. Good luck you have chosen a very fine weapon!!!!!!

RCG

tomwalshco
03-06-2010, 05:46 AM
I'm buying a P380 today. Please tell me this problem went away.

Is the P380 suseptible to limp-wrist issues? Some little pistols are very prone to feed/eject problems (like my Kel-Tec PF9) if you get too casual at the range....

It IS heartening that I don't see a bunch for sale in the trading post area.

WinstonRomeo
03-10-2010, 07:25 AM
I find my P380 to be sensitive to ammo brand. The first time I shot it I fired 50 rounds of Remington hardball and it failed to feed all 50 rounds out of the magazine. I could have used a rubber mallet to save the bruising on my left hand. The second 50 rounds were MagTech and they all worked without issue. Followed up with 50 rounds of WW Silvertip as well as some Federal Hydroshock. Session was fired without cleaning during the session which I normally do not do. The little gun feeds better from the magazine if you pull the slide back and release rather than dropping with the slidestop, it just seems to need the extra fraction of an inch of spring compression for reliable first round feeding. I love the gun for its ease of carry in the front pocket with pocket holster. Accuracy at 7yards: how about a massive 150 round heartburn group in one ragged hole 4" or so in diameter. WOW a pocket pistol that is a shooter!!

Vinikahr
03-10-2010, 07:41 AM
I find my P380 to be sensitive to ammo brand. The first time I shot it I fired 50 rounds of Remington hardball and it failed to feed all 50 rounds out of the magazine. I could have used a rubber mallet to save the bruising on my left hand. The second 50 rounds were MagTech and they all worked without issue. Followed up with 50 rounds of WW Silvertip as well as some Federal Hydroshock. Session was fired without cleaning during the session which I normally do not do. The little gun feeds better from the magazine if you pull the slide back and release rather than dropping with the slidestop, it just seems to need the extra fraction of an inch of spring compression for reliable first round feeding. I love the gun for its ease of carry in the front pocket with pocket holster. Accuracy at 7yards: how about a massive 150 round heartburn group in one ragged hole 4" or so in diameter. WOW a pocket pistol that is a shooter!!

Thanks for the report, Kahr's pistols are thigh as heaven.:eek:

bayoutrigger
03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
My wife bought a p380 and had FTF problems at first. I helped her get a better grip on the gun and the rest of her 200 round break-in was finished without a problem.

Vinikahr
03-10-2010, 07:03 PM
My wife bought a p380 and had FTF problems at first. I helped her get a better grip on the gun and the rest of her 200 round break-in was finished without a problem.

Ahhh! The limp wrist syndrome. I suffer two in my break in period with the CW45 and PM9, I was tired. 400 plus rounds is not joke.

gknola
03-10-2010, 09:50 PM
My P380 was returned to Kahr for service in early February and returned in under 2 weeks.

I reported: Failure to go to battery, slide locking back in the middle of a magazine and stovepiping. This was with over 900 rounds of various brands of ammunition fired by myself and 2 other experienced shooters.

Kahr reported doing the following work: Replaced extractor, recoil spring, slide stop spring, polished parts as needed (I wonder which ones), lubed and test fired. I also had them install XS Big Dots while they had the gun.

After receiving the gun back from Kahr I fires 300 PMC Bronze, 20 Gold Dot, 40 CorBon 90gr JHP and 40 CorBon DPX in one session without any cleaning and without a single problem. I now consider the gun to be reliable for CCW.

I've also installed a CT LG-433.

I've decided on CorBon DPX as my self defense ammunition for the P380. Since the gun is for the most part a BUG, I'd anticipate very close range usage if I ever had to use it. The DPX has the largest muzzle flash of all of the self defense ammunition I've run through the gun and I figure that even if the rounds don't penetrate sufficiently, there's a good chance I'll set the BG on fire. http://p380forum.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif http://p380forum.com/forum/Smileys/default/shocked.gif http://p380forum.com/forum/Smileys/default/rolleyes.gif

As a final comment, I now feel as good about the P380 as I do about my PM9 which has never had a malfunction of any kind with over 1000 rounds downrange.

Vinikahr
03-11-2010, 05:42 AM
My P380 was returned to Kahr for service in early February and returned in under 2 weeks.

I reported: Failure to go to battery, slide locking back in the middle of a magazine and stovepiping. This was with over 900 rounds of various brands of ammunition fired by myself and 2 other experienced shooters.

Kahr reported doing the following work: Replaced extractor, recoil spring, slide stop spring, polished parts as needed (I wonder which ones), lubed and test fired. I also had them install XS Big Dots while they had the gun.

After receiving the gun back from Kahr I fires 300 PMC Bronze, 20 Gold Dot, 40 CorBon 90gr JHP and 40 CorBon DPX in one session without any cleaning and without a single problem. I now consider the gun to be reliable for CCW.

I've also installed a CT LG-433.

I've decided on CorBon DPX as my self defense ammunition for the P380. Since the gun is for the most part a BUG, I'd anticipate very close range usage if I ever had to use it. The DPX has the largest muzzle flash of all of the self defense ammunition I've run through the gun and I figure that even if the rounds don't penetrate sufficiently, there's a good chance I'll set the BG on fire. http://p380forum.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif http://p380forum.com/forum/Smileys/default/shocked.gif http://p380forum.com/forum/Smileys/default/rolleyes.gif

As a final comment, I now feel as good about the P380 as I do about my PM9 which has never had a malfunction of any kind with over 1000 rounds downrange.

Thanks for sharing and cheers for an happy ending!:cheer2:

gknola
03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
There's also a lot of P380 info at the 380 forum (http://p380forum.com/forum/index.php).