PDA

View Full Version : Chemicals

cmichael22
06-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Is there certain gun cleaners and chemicals that can not go on a polymer PM40? And I have heard it will eat at the polymer if this is true for the cleaner how long would it take to notice this after using it?

jocko
06-27-2012, 05:12 AM
My thoughts are if it is non cholorinated , the cleaner is OK. I have never seen a polymer gun eaten up but again there are alot of checicals out there that should not be near polymer to, but not any in the gun industry.

All I can tell us is I use 100% these non cholorinated spray brake cleaners foundat NAPA, WALMART, AUTO ZONE. They are alot lower in price and do no tharm polymer and clean like there is no tomorrow. Most ofthe high pressure sprays I buy are under $2 a can. Some feel differently, so in doubt buy the mor eexpensive gun spray cleaners.

I have before just to "show and tell" soakedmy lower in as hot of water as I can mis with some DAWN detergent and it cleans like there in no tomorrow to. and dries fast. For me though just touch preparation.

Most all gun cleaners will say on the can/bottole to keep away from wood, so wood grips should be removed before any cleaning..

cmichael22
06-27-2012, 10:18 AM
I have been using hoppys number 9 and rem oil.

jocko
06-27-2012, 10:59 AM
#9 is one super barrel cleaner, wont harm chrome/nickel bores but hoppes does not recommend leavingt their solvent in the barrel to just soak either. At best it will discolor the nickel/chrome but I don't thhink it effects it quality. Thats allI use in my kahrs, works good for me..

Bawanna
06-27-2012, 11:00 AM
I have been using hoppys number 9 and rem oil.

Nothing like the smell of Hoppe's in the morning. I use that a lot myself.

The only time I use the brake cleaner is to blow out the striker channel or places I can't get to and need to blow crude out. Otherwise Hoppe 9 or the Elite works for everything I need.

jocko
06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
yes I have been told by some of ur ladies friends here on this fourm that u even splash that sh!t on when u go to SUNDAY GO TO MEETIN things..

Just sayin.

sharpetop
06-29-2012, 07:24 PM
My thoughts are if it is non cholorinated , the cleaner is OK. I have never seen a polymer gun eaten up but again there are alot of checicals out there that should not be near polymer to, but not any in the gun industry.

All I can tell us is I use 100% these non cholorinated spray brake cleaners foundat NAPA, WALMART, AUTO ZONE. They are alot lower in price and do no tharm polymer and clean like there is no tomorrow. Most ofthe high pressure sprays I buy are under $2 a can. Some feel differently, so in doubt buy the mor eexpensive gun spray cleaners.

I have before just to "show and tell" soakedmy lower in as hot of water as I can mis with some DAWN detergent and it cleans like there in no tomorrow to. and dries fast. For me though just touch preparation.

Most all gun cleaners will say on the can/bottole to keep away from wood, so wood grips should be removed before any cleaning..

I agree with what jocko says. I've used non-chlorinated brake cleaner for years with no problems. [I do keep it away from wood grips/stocks.] It strips all the gunk so be sure and lube well after using.

tarheelcm9
06-29-2012, 08:33 PM
If y'all are having issues with copper buildup and hoppes isn't cutting it, I highly recommend Montana Extreme copper killer. That stuff is magic, and you'll be surprised when you're patches come out blue (from all the dissolved copper). Its ammonia based, so be careful of those fumes! It'll about knock your head off.

Jeff00042
06-29-2012, 08:45 PM
I was doing some household repair and accidentally transferred a small drop of superglue to the polymer frame of my P380. It immediately made a tiny melt mark on the frame. You wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it. Lesson learned!