PDA

View Full Version : Time for a thumb break holster??

Planedude
07-24-2012, 06:32 AM
This just in from the Dallas area:

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/07/24/three-wounded-as-gun-discharges-inside-dallas-wal-mart/

Looks like an Springfeild XD (could be wrong) to me. Another news outlet reports that it was a "Fourty caliber".
Hard for me to understand how dropping a firearm with a grip safety and a firing pin block could go off by dropping it...???
Maybe that young mans holster should have a thumb break to keep it home?

Thoughts...

mcbowflex
09-21-2012, 09:58 PM
It was definitely an XD. You can see the firing pin indicator in the one shot. I'm curious how he was carrying it for it to fall out like that... The fact that it went off troubles me considering I have, what appears to be, the exact same gun minus the ported barrel.

kb2wji
09-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Ah yes, the time honored tradition of fleeing the scene in an attempt to plead innocence. Smart guy.

Dirt doc
09-22-2012, 05:50 AM
The only way I see the story with that gun and those injuries being plausible is if he tried to catch the gun. I don't see how bouncing an XD off the floor would defeat 3 safeties or caused the described injuries. Firing it accidentally while trying to catch it even seems a stretch to me. I'm not buying the story.

jocko
09-22-2012, 05:54 AM
user error but no doubt the gun can't talk so it has to be theguns fault..

Ikeo74
09-22-2012, 06:29 AM
It could be the gun was altered and the guy was carrying it "gansta style" in his belt with no holster. Running, just may be a habit when gunshots are heard. :confused:

Ikeo74
09-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Another thought, maybe the guy with the carry license was carrying a stolen gun. There is some unknown reason why the guy would run. Something about the deal was illegal. Could also be a stolen credit card used for the purchase. You see what I am saying? It's like running away when you crash your stolen car. There was no reason to run if everything was legit. :cool: This smells fishy to me. There has to me "more to the story".

dirtkicker
09-22-2012, 07:46 AM
He must have had his wallet and gun in the same back pocket which would explain why he was grazed on the back of his leg.

The running part? Good question. I'm guessing when he was questioned as to why he ran he used the standard response, 'because I was scared sir'. Probably had a bag of dope that he dumped.

JFootin
09-22-2012, 11:03 AM
No prejudice intended, but just to try and get in his thoughts, he might have ran because he is a young black man. They get treated differently by cops and the legal system than, say, a middle aged white man would. It's an unforunate fact of life that I wish would change, but probably won't. Part of what keeps it from changing is the fact that a pretty high percentage of young black men are involved in crime, so there is a precedent already set in many people's minds. And, sorry, but it doesn't help that he looks not just suspicious, but guilty of who knows what!

http://cbsdallas.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/todd_canady.jpg?w=420

Ikeo74
09-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Footin, I see your point but, if this young man qualified for a concealed permit, he had no reason to run. Unless of course there were other circumstances that may have gotten him arrested. And it looks like that may be the case.
If you were legally carrying and had an accidental discharge, would you run?

Bawanna
09-22-2012, 11:33 AM
If I had a son he'd look just like that. You guys and your profiling.

jocko
09-22-2012, 11:35 AM
actually the guy looks like he just woke up, or is that what drugs do to a person??Just sayin..

mcbowflex
09-22-2012, 11:50 PM
The only way I see the story with that gun and those injuries being plausible is if he tried to catch the gun. I don't see how bouncing an XD off the floor would defeat 3 safeties or caused the described injuries. Firing it accidentally while trying to catch it even seems a stretch to me. I'm not buying the story.

He would have had to have caught the gun perfectly otherwise the beaver tail safety wouldn't have engaged, and the gun wouldn't have fired. Nothing with an XD happens until the beaver tail is engaged, including manipulating the slide.

JFootin
09-23-2012, 09:47 AM

He would have had to have caught the gun perfectly otherwise the beaver tail safety wouldn't have engaged, and the gun wouldn't have fired. Nothing with an XD happens until the beaver tail is engaged, including manipulating the slide.

I think, like a lot of these ignorant posers on Photobucket and YouTube, his finger is on the trigger whenever he is holding the gun. And, yes, he must have tried to catch the gun by grabbing it the way he normally does. And with the gun accelerating muzzle first toward the floor, that trigger went click-BANG! :eek: :hurt:

dirtkicker
09-23-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm going with the theory that he was pulling it out to use it, shot himself in the process, dropped it, and ran.

Bawanna
09-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Me thinks we have a bingo.

JFootin
09-23-2012, 12:57 PM
LOL! I think you're right! :D