PDA

View Full Version : Sight options

teet
03-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi all,

Just looking for some opinions on sight options for my newly aquired AO 1911.

I really like the look and originality of the GI style sights on it, but they seem kinda hard to see. They lack the adjustabilty of some of the newer dovetail style sights.

Should I just bite the bullet and get the front dovetailed, and add a set of Trijicon or similar sights? I know that you can pick them up in the "stake" version as well.....but I just dont know??

Thanks for any imput :cool:

Jeff (teet)

Bawanna
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
If it's a shooter and you don't care about keeping it original I would definitely get the front dovetailed. I'm partial to the XS 24/7 sights with the standard dot on the front rather than the big dot. I little more accuracy further down range. I have them on all my 1911 style guns and my K40 will maybe get the big dot treatment someday after my stimulus check arrives unless of course the K40 goes away and a PM45 or better yet prototype K45 takes its place.
Just my opinion, sight options are a really a can of worms, everyone has their preference. All wrong except mine of course.:blah:

Bawanna
03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
I was gonna suggest putting in a long trigger in that bad boy as well but going back and looking at your picture it looks like it already has a longer trigger than the GI ones. If it works, don't mess with it.

jeep45238
03-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Sight Set Government 3-Dot, MIL STD (http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-186/Sight-Set-Government-3-dsh-Dot%2C/Detail)

Direct drop in.

teet
03-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the input so far fellas. I have Trijicon sights on my Walther P99 and love them compared to the stock sights...but even the stock sights on my P99 were way better than the stock sights on my 1911.

I dont know how "original" I want to keep it really, I mean it is a shooter, and its not like I broke the bank picking it up.

I really like the looks of the factory gun, but I'd also love to drop in a decent trigger, hammer, and definitely something different with the sights.

Thanks for the link Jeep...those look like a huge improvement. I wonder how hard it is to install that front staked sight myself?

Ugh...decisions

jeep45238
03-02-2010, 06:59 PM
The trigger itself won't do much in terms of how it feels when it's pulled. If you get one with an overtravel stop you'll be able to change how much the trigger moves after the sear is tripped, and if you get one with 'wings' at the front of the bow behind the pad, you'll be able to adjust how much distance is needed before the sear is tripped.

I wouldn't look into changing out the hammer without doing the sear as well. The 1911 should be considered a gun where everything must be handfitted, unless purchased together already fitted (like Cylinder and Slide offerings).

To change out the sights, knock out the rear sight, and install the new rear one, centering the notch over the bore. For the staked front sight, this is the best guide I've found : Trigger jobs (http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/stakedfs.html)

The only things necessary for the 1911 to function is a good mag, sights that you can use, and a trigger you can manage - and even the Taurus offerings with 8.75 pound gritty pulls are pretty dang managable.

If you've got any 1911 questions let me know. I competitively shoot one and carry one every day for self defense. I do all of my own modifications and repairs, as well as those on friends 1911's.

teet
03-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the great info and recommendations Mike. This is my first 1911, and I plan on keeping it for quite some time....so far it has been a pleasure to shoot, and I have no complaints about the trigger pull, or any other function of the pistol for that matter...well except for the sights..lol

I just received a brownells 1911 catalog in the mail, and I cant believe all the parts and accessories available.

I know who to ask now if I need any tips....appreciate it!

Jeff (teet)

jeepster09
03-28-2010, 08:59 PM
I just had the XS Big Dot put on my Para and love them. I went with Trigicon's on my full size and like the Big Dot better; especially on a carry gun.:59:

jeep45238
03-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Nice lookin Para!

mx5fan
03-29-2010, 05:57 PM
I just had the XS Big Dot put on my Para and love them. I went with Trigicon's on my full size and like the Big Dot better; especially on a carry gun.:59:

Hey jeep, I too have the XS Big Dot on my M&P 9c and love it..your right they are really good for a carry gun. They makes it very easy to acquire the sight picture.

Embalmer
06-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Has anyone been able to change the sights on the wwii repro 1911a1 to white dot sights? Was talking to kahr about it, and said "cant due to front sight being staked". I know ive seen people take original WWII 1911a1's and put white dot sights on them (i dont condone it), and know their front sights were staked as well. Since is my carry, and plinking gun, id like to have a better sight set on it.

medezyner
06-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Has anyone been able to change the sights on the wwii repro 1911a1 to white dot sights? Was talking to kahr about it, and said "cant due to front sight being staked". I know ive seen people take original WWII 1911a1's and put white dot sights on them (i dont condone it), and know their front sights were staked as well. Since is my carry, and plinking gun, id like to have a better sight set on it.

I second the Fusion dot set. Also look at the Kingsgunworks.com King-Tappan combat sights. I'm evaluating doing a sight upgrade to my son's and my 1911's. It seems within the capabilities of most backyard tinkerers.
Embalmer: I pm'd you.