PDA

View Full Version : New M1 Carbine!

johnh
03-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Well I am back into an M1 Carbine again! I sold off my last one years ago and wished I had not. Fortunately I kept the ammo just in case. I now have a very nice AO Paratrooper model. I will post pics later this weekend. That and 10 new in wrapper Korean 30 round mags will make for a lot of fun at the range. I am also thinking this will be a good rifle to have my 8 year old son shoot as it fits his stature very well. I have to start him off right you know!

:D

John

wyntrout
03-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Congratulations, John. The last time I fired one of those was around September 1964 at Lackland AFB, Texas, in Basic Training. About 300 fellow recruits and I cut loose at the firing range... with NO hearing protection -- different times! I actually fired 3 and barely qualified when I should have made expert. The first two were so bad that even the TI's couldn't hit the target! I didn't get any extra rounds for the bad carbines.:( I should have shot at the hill to see where the bullet was going.) It's a b!tch to sight in from scratch at 100 yards and you have no idea where the bullets are going!
I wish Ruger would make one in .45 ACP for home defense.
Wynn:D

johnh
03-08-2010, 03:09 PM
They are definitely fun little carbines. Some pics are below. Nothing great, but it is too cloudy for outside shots. The Korean mags look pretty nice as well. I am eager to get this one out to the range.

http://kahrtalk.com/members/johnh-albums-m1-carbine-images-picture188-m1right.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/johnh-albums-m1-carbine-images-picture189-m1rightc.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/johnh-albums-m1-carbine-images-picture190-m1leftclose.jpg

John

Bawanna
03-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Your definitely starting the boy out right. He's one lucky guy and I hope he knows it. Have fun with that.

wyntrout
03-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't think it was the first time I shot one, but when I was about 14 or 15 I sneaked my step-father's M1 Carbine out of the house and fired one shot at a china berry tree -- not very hard wood -- about 9 to 10 inches thick. That FMJ went clean through the tree!:eek: Oops! I was a little surprised. We lived across the street from a school and there were houses around, just not like the ones nowadays 8 to 10 feet apart for the easements, or they would probably be closer!:eek:
I used to sneak out my mother's Star .25 auto -- tiny, scary thing. It had no exposed hammer and I was sure if it was on "safe" or not. One time I pulled the trigger to see if it was "safe". It wasn't and my buddy was a little surprised when the round hit the dirt about 5 feet or so behind him where he was digging bullets out of the ground or something, while squatting.:eek: I became a little more conscientious about safety after that... a little more.:D
Added: I remember there was a bullet lodged in one of the drawers of my mother's chest-of-drawers... I think it was the drawer where she "hid" the gun. I don't recall how it got there or if I even did it, but it was an angled shot and you could see the bullet if you looked down the hole with the light at the right angle. I think someone ELSE checked the safety, too!
Those carbines are definitely good plinkers when you get tired of .22s and don't want a sore shoulder with the BIG boys. I always wanted the M-2 model, though.:D
Wynn:)

zena
03-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Congrats on the M1 Carbine! I don't own one but would like to. A couple years ago we had a USPSA match using WW2 guns and a buddy gave me the M1 to shoot. I fell in love with it that day. Easy and accurate gun to just pick up and go with. Being "fun sized" (not MUCH bigger than an 8 yr. old) I can say that it's a very manageable and fun gun. He'll love it!:4:

Al Sharon
03-15-2010, 02:57 PM
John,
How do you like the Korean M1 Carbine magazines? I have both the 15 round and 30 round versions. They seem to be well made and function perfectly in my AO carbine.

I donated all my other (junk) magazines to another M1 Carbine owner.
Have fun, Al

Rscout6945
03-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Mind if i ask how much you paid for it?