PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking to buy a CW9

BucketBack
08-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Hello all, I just joined tonight. I'm looking to buy a secondhand CW9 that is claimed to be unfired by the original owner.

He's including a Galco Matrix holster , and a box of Gold Dot short barrel 124+P's with it. Probably the small box . He wants $350

I think that might be fair. What do you experts think?

What do I lookout for?

The CW9's size looks to be real close to my Ruger SR-22P, so the 22 would provide cheap practice for simulation.

I have a LCP and a Glock 19 to carry while I break the Kahr in.

I'll be skimming over the posts for ideas.Thanks in advance for any advice.

When I bought my Taurus(s), I didn't research them fully and regret set in.

JERRY
08-30-2012, 11:26 PM
holsters add little to a gun deal, usually theyre used to sweeten the pot so to speak but hardly a deal maker or breaker.

if the gun is in deed unfired id say go for it.

Badwolf75
08-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I payed $390 for my CM9 new in the box, a few months back. Very happy with it as my EDC. You get next to nothing in the box anyways. The spare mags can be pricey. So if you can talk your way into one go for it.

air8
08-31-2012, 12:19 AM
The CW9 is great. I say go for it. Follow the Break-in guideline in the stickies here and it will be awesome.

nmkahrshooter
08-31-2012, 05:36 AM
Sounds like a good deal. Can't go wrong with a CW9. Just follow break-in and use FMJ ammo. Good luck!

downtownv
08-31-2012, 05:47 AM
That sounds like a good deal when you add in the goodies! My wife loves hers. I prefer the k-9 , I like the weight.

jocko
08-31-2012, 06:07 AM
Hello all, I just joined tonight. I'm looking to buy a secondhand CW9 that is claimed to be unfired by the original owner.

He's including a Galco Matrix holster , and a box of Gold Dot short barrel 124+P's with it. Probably the small box . He wants $350

I think that might be fair. What do you experts think?

What do I lookout for?

The CW9's size looks to be real close to my Ruger SR-22P, so the 22 would provide cheap practice for simulation.

I have a LCP and a Glock 19 to carry while I break the Kahr in.

I'll be skimming over the posts for ideas.Thanks in advance for any advice.

When I bought my Taurus(s), I didn't research them fully and regret set in.

all kahrs are test fired, so it has been shot.

Now: "What do I lookout for?" comment

I would lookout for a lieing owner who says it has never been shot. Just me so u know better than I. U can't go worng with a CW9, the price is right.

Ask if u can test fire the gun???

Frayed Knot
08-31-2012, 06:49 AM
I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around why anyone would buy a CW9 and then never shoot it.:confused: My CW9 is probably my favorite shooter.:D

Anyway, sounds like a fair deal if you want the holster he's throwing in (about a $30 holster).

Food for thought:

http://www.kygunco.com/products2.cfm/id/30308/name/kahr-arms-cw9-9mm-pistol-3.5-barrel-black-stainless-7-round

At the time I posted this, the CW9 is selling for $356.72 with free shipping to your FFL. This obviously would take more effort and you would have to cover the transfer fee at your FFL, but you wouldn't have to pay tax and you have full warranty.

My .02

Good luck and welcome!

BucketBack
08-31-2012, 07:26 AM
So $37 for a warranty? The holster will probably end up in the "Junk Holster Drawer" anyway. The 25 rounds of short barrel aren't enough to prove out the gun, so are basically worthless. The local hardware just sold a BNIB CW40 for $367, so about $389 OTD here in MI. From Kentuck the same thing about $387 with the $30 transfer and gas to get there about $10 extra. Things that make you go What da , What da, What to do?

BucketBack
08-31-2012, 07:37 AM
The same hardware has LC9's for the same price in stock. I went there the 1st of the month for some gas line for my soon to be needed snowblower and I came home with a SR-22P with Crimson Trace Railmaster

wagon
08-31-2012, 01:34 PM
New is $350-$370..I'd buy new just for peace of mind.. ya know.. it is a Kahr after all !!! :D

You will pay a lil more but it will be NEW, the Galco holster may not best fit you or your needs, or is one that you want.

BucketBack
08-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Dave at the hardware has CW's on order, about $367 retail next wek.

He has a SR-22P for $299.99, and LC9 for $359.99. I have a SR-22P and it matches the LC9 :eek:

geen
08-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Cheaper that dirt $355

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/2-KACW9093

Cabelas had it on sale last month for $349. So after tax and/or a transfer fee I think you can get it new for about $30 to $50 more that the used one. For me it is worth a few bucks more for a new gun.

BucketBack
08-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Well thanks for the info we just talked me out of buying used. I'm better educated on Kahr now because of it though.

I downloaded the manual, lube spots, disassembly , new Kahr prep and printed out some 60 pages. I'm armed, with info.

Short Bus
09-01-2012, 03:44 AM
The same hardware has LC9's for the same price in stock. I went there the 1st of the month for some gas line for my soon to be needed snowblower and I came home with a SR-22P with Crimson Trace Railmaster
You will be happier with the Kahr. I trade a LC9 and a LCP for my P9 + some cash. The LGS I traded them to put both out at a higher price than I can (and did for the LC9) get them for new.

jpshaw
09-01-2012, 05:38 AM
Get the CW9. I have a Glock 19 and a P3AT so I'm pretty much where you are (not that much diff between LCP and P3AT) but my primary is still a 2002 P9 which is the same as the CW9. It is a perfect size to carry. The only time it gets left at home is when I have to tuck in the shirt without a jacket then the P3AT jumps in my pocket.

BucketBack
09-01-2012, 05:47 AM
The LC9 is out of my head again. I'll just wait for the new CW9's to come in.

BucketBack
09-01-2012, 06:41 AM
The CW9 seller, has a full PM box at MGO, and he doesn't know that I sent him a cancel deal email,since my email is not posted , so it may still happen

Diocoles
09-01-2012, 08:40 PM
It does have a kick, so practice, don't it expect it to compensate for you.
:D

wagon
09-02-2012, 10:37 AM
The CW9 seller, has a full PM box at MGO, and he doesn't know that I sent him a cancel deal email,since my email is not posted , so it may still happen

That should be HIS problem, not yours... and the hard earn money is YOURS.

sharpetop
09-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Offer him $300 [w/ accessories]. Settle for $325 with no tax or transfer and call it a day. IMHO that's a fair deal if the gun shows no signs of wear.

BucketBack
09-03-2012, 08:11 AM
I bought some Trijicon HD Night Sights for my G19 and ammo, heading to get some Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads for my X-Bow, and some more ammo with my gun money.

So a new addition to my rotation won't happen for a while now. Unless someone buys my Bersa that I took off the market .

wyntrout
09-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Prices can be crazy at the gun shows. Shooters, local big dealer, sells the CM9/40 and CW9/40/45's for $349.99 each in the store and at gun shows lately. But you can walk around and see outrageous prices up to $500 for new and even USED guns. A warranty is nice and somebody else's quick sale might be because they had problems and just want to dump the gun.

Wynn:)

BucketBack
09-04-2012, 06:12 AM
That's what I thought too, but how could "Josh" have problems with a gun he never fired. Unless he couldn't get it to fire.
The gun range being closed on his day off, doesn't hold water. He can drive 15 minutes to the MDNR land where most of the city of Grand Rapids shoots on the weekend, with no range fee, or safe handling skills either.

ETA-"Josh" has no feedback on the MI forum, the other guns I've bought used and had good luck with were from members with lots of postive feedback on the site.

I also had my eyes on a Ruger P94, in great shape. I ran the serial at Ruger and it came up being the first year of that pistol, a red flag. Then the sellerhad no feedback, another red flag. Somebody has to be the first buyer from someone to get feedback I know But it ain't me,Babe, it ain't gonna be me