PDA

View Full Version : How To "Detail Strip" the Kahr's Upper!

Cappy
09-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Go to this thread for the pdf file to print:

Glock Talk - View Single Post - Detail Stripping the Kahr's Upper (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13604349&postcount=52)

jocko
09-13-2009, 05:41 AM
YOUR THE MAN!!! Nice job again..

I am hoping that John willmake this a sticky also. It is excellent and should be something members can go to in a hurry for help on the upper slide..

ripley16
09-13-2009, 08:58 PM
When I dismantle an upper I use this coat hanger "tool" to hold the striker spring and guide rod in place while I push in the pin that retains the rear plate. It makes the task a good bit easier.

Eye protection is strongly advised.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Kahrtool002.jpghttp://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Kahrtool001.jpg

Cappy
09-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Happy to Help where I can!

jocko
09-15-2009, 02:55 PM
yes riply 76, that is a cool way to to it to. I tried it and it works great. Have to agree eye protection is a must. I also when getting ready to slide that backing plate off the slide put the tnire unit in a big zip lock bag when I pullthat plate off, as you well know little things tend to fly when that plate comes off - sometimes. If one takes that plate off slowly, he can catcht hat strker plunger and extractor spring. A nice big zip lock will catch them for sure.

johnh
09-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Oh yeah, this one is a sticky! I really appreciate you posting this info here. I hope the gang at Glocktalk will find this a welcome home as well. I have refrained from posting an invite over there as I did not want to offend the site owners. It is a good forum and I have enjoyed being over there for info on the Glocks I have had over the years.

Thanks again!

John

ripley16
09-16-2009, 04:37 AM
I hope the gang at Glocktalk will find this a welcome home as well. I have refrained from posting an invite over there as I did not want to offend the site owners. It is a good forum and I have enjoyed being over there for info on the Glocks I have had over the years.

John

There have been two or three threads posted on Glock Talk about this new forum already. That's how I found it.

jocko
09-16-2009, 05:34 AM
thanks John, now we have two really good sticky's for the kahrs. keep up the good work..

WMD
09-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Great tip! I have been using a flat blade screw driver to hold the striker sping assy down. It is quite tricky and you need 3 hands. I will definitely cut up oa coat hanger!

Good job!

Bob Landry
02-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Great sticky.. I now have a lot of smal parts laying on my desk. Does the striker channel get lubed or does it run dry like the Glocks?

ripley16
02-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Either a very light, thin oil or better yet, use a dry lube such as Militec 1 or Eezox, then there's nothing to attract dirt.

PETE14
02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
You can also take a long allen wrench and carefully bend one end to make the same tool.

jocko
02-04-2010, 01:15 PM
as dray as a popcorn fart!!!

at_liberty
02-25-2010, 07:06 AM
I shared this with my handgun maintenance class instructor and he cautioned me as follows:

"I would advise that you remember that Kahr, more than likely, just like other manufacturers will void your warranty if you disassemble beyond recommended field stripping and damage or an injurous accident occurs. That's why there was a BIG disclaimer on that slide show."

I kept a copy, but only intending to share with my gunsmith, if necessary.

jocko
02-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I shared this with my handgun maintenance class instructor and he cautioned me as follows:

"I would advise that you remember that Kahr, more than likely, just like other manufacturers will void your warranty if you disassemble beyond recommended field stripping and damage or an injurous accident occurs. That's why there was a BIG disclaimer on that slide show."

I kept a copy, but only intending to share with my gunsmith, if necessary.

that at all. #1, If you take the upper slide apart to clean (which is a no brainer) and put it back correctly, there is no way kahr or anyone else would ever know that one was in that area even. Now modifying and cleaning are two different things. One will not void your warranty and one certainly "can" void your warranty.

If you port your barrel and the grip cracks at the bottom. Kahr will warranty it, as it has no relation to the porting process. Now if you port and the barrel cracks at the porting opening, don't expect kahr to take care of that.

To me that is also why kahr and glock puts that little clean out hole on the bottom of their slides. One does bnot need to be taking the slide apart complety if they use that clean out hole every time they clean their weapon..

Bawanna
02-25-2010, 09:23 AM
100% agree.

PETE14
02-25-2010, 10:24 AM
When I had to replace my striker I asked if they would void my warranty if I assembled it myself and the supervisor said no. I would guess the only way they would void it is if I did a modification or something really stupid.

at_liberty
02-25-2010, 11:57 AM
This all makes me chuckle, because when I got that reply from simply sharing the information with the fellow, I thought, GEEZ!, I can't even breath correctly around these guys.

We have an indoor range staffed by ex-military and police people mostly, and it seems like you can't say or do anything without drawing some corrective comment. They know a whole lot about it all, but I gotta say it seems pretty anal or harassing at times. There are a number of other "it's a rule!" anecdotes too. Everybody's a gunny. :)

jocko
02-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Most LEO'S seem to know it all about guns!!!! Just ask them.. And for sure range masters are total authority on guns, just ask them!!!!

Betteryet go to gander mountain and ask THOSE AUTHORITIES..

Bawanna
02-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Most LEO'S seem to know it all about guns!!!! Just ask them.. And for sure range masters are total authority on guns, just ask them!!!!

Betteryet go to gander mountain and ask THOSE AUTHORITIES..

The thing about LEO's is they are trained at the academy to be Alpha's. Know everything about everything and never let anyone know that you don't have a clue. Most (perhaps that's too strong a word) are clueless about firearms. The gun is equal to a carpenters hammer. It's there, they been trained to use it but just no love.
I hate going to ranges where everyone is a gunny and feels the need to instruct everybody that comes in. Not relaxing, usually not productive and mostly downright annoying. They are in a tough spot having to keep everyone safe and I'm sure they run into alot of folks that are not but usually you can tell pretty quickly if someone is up on stuff.
At Liberty, feel free to breath anyway you desire. Sometimes comments come back quickly and are misinterpreted or miss the point or are too strong but I think everyone here is just trying to help and not make anyone look dumb except me of course, they seem to dwell on the fact that I wasn't born with a fully functioning brain, if it wasn't for my natural good looks, charm and love of guns, I'd have little purpose in life.:rolleyes:

getsome
02-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Bawanna, What about Zena and MX5fan?????:D

PETE14
02-25-2010, 02:44 PM
There is a fine line between being an Alpha and a di** but the good ones can be one without the other showing.

jocko
02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
The thing about LEO's is they are trained at the academy to be Alpha's. Know everything about everything and never let anyone know that you don't have a clue. Most (perhaps that's too strong a word) are clueless about firearms. The gun is equal to a carpenters hammer. It's there, they been trained to use it but just no love.
I hate going to ranges where everyone is a gunny and feels the need to instruct everybody that comes in. Not relaxing, usually not productive and mostly downright annoying. They are in a tough spot having to keep everyone safe and I'm sure they run into alot of folks that are not but usually you can tell pretty quickly if someone is up on stuff.
At Liberty, feel free to breath anyway you desire. Sometimes comments come back quickly and are misinterpreted or miss the point or are too strong but I think everyone here is just trying to help and not make anyone look dumb except me of course, they seem to dwell on the fact that I wasn't born with a fully functioning brain, if it wasn't for my natural good looks, charm and love of guns, I'd have little purpose in life.:rolleyes:

u have natural goodlooks:33::33:

at_liberty
02-25-2010, 02:50 PM

No problem here. I was referring to my local handgun maintenance instructor, who I like a lot and respect completely. It just seems so tedious sometimes, like I am a mistake waiting to happen, like I am so supposed to be in this constant state of intimidation...not intentional or conscious but it seems to be the personality type. He loves to share what he "knows", and I appreciate that.

I can't seem to go in the place without breaking some overlooked or nonintuitive rule. I tried to sweep brass during a match and was scolded by one of the regulars about making dust. I can't tell you what I was thinking in response, but I was kinda shooting the messenger so to speak but only figuratively. Of course, they all shoot better than I do, so I have to accept being the slime. I will just try not to be the next generation of tedious know-it-alls. I do realize that discipline is why the guys survived long enough to be a pain.

Bawanna
02-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Bawanna, What about Zena and MX5fan?????:D

I couldn't quote two messages but Pete14, you nailed it. I argue all the time with the boys that you can be reasonable and learn without being inferior even to a low level civillian species like myself.

As for Ms Zena and MX5Fan, the Queens of Kahr talk even if Ms Zena seems to be absent of late, and darn it I miss her. Well both Alpha (the girls can be alpha too) and nobody could do it better in my humble opinion. I'd love to share the same shooting range with those two. The same Alpha teaching apply to female LEO's and perhaps they have an even tougher time dealing with macho dudes that believe they can't do the job. Admittedly some can't but many can and do it well. But then what do I know. Personal opinions, everyone has one.

Bawanna
02-25-2010, 02:58 PM
No problem here. I was referring to my local handgun maintenance instructor, who I like a lot and respect completely. It just seems so tedious sometimes, like I am a mistake waiting to happen, like I am so supposed to be in this constant state of intimidation...not intentional or conscious but it seems to be the personality type. He loves to share what he "knows", and I appreciate that.

I can't seem to go in the place without breaking some overlooked or nonintuitive rule. I tried to sweep brass during a match and was scolded by one of the regulars about making dust. I can't tell you what I was thinking in response, but I was kinda shooting the messenger so to speak but only figuratively. Of course, they all shoot better than I do, so I have to accept being the slime. I will just try not to be the next generation of tedious know-it-alls. I do realize that discipline is why the guys survived long enough to be a pain.

I know exactly what your talking about and I too am striving not to be the next generation of tedious know it alls. (for one thing, I don't think I'm qualified). There are ranges around me that I just don't go to for all the reasons you mentioned. It's been awhile I've been thinking of trying to go back and see if the pains have moved on but I always think that a whole new generation has probably taken over.

Bawanna
02-25-2010, 03:05 PM
u have natural goodlooks:33::33:

Well ok, you got me. It was just a little white lie and momma says a little white lie never hurt nobody. Probably good since your machine gun Kelly smiley face would have defaced me horribly. I heard a rumor that Mr. Dietrich had naturally good looks but that could be a bold faced little white lie too.:biggrin1:
Don't tell the queens Ms Zena and Ms MX5fan. Trying to present a positive image don't ya know.:cheer2:

jocko
02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
I couldn't quote two messages but Pete14, you nailed it. I argue all the time with the boys that you can be reasonable and learn without being inferior even to a low level civillian species like myself.

As for Ms Zena and MX5Fan, the Queens of Kahr talk even if Ms Zena seems to be absent of late, and darn it I miss her. Well both Alpha (the girls can be alpha too) and nobody could do it better in my humble opinion. I'd love to share the same shooting range with those two. The same Alpha teaching apply to female LEO's and perhaps they have an even tougher time dealing with macho dudes that believe they can't do the job. Admittedly some can't but many can and do it well. But then what do I know. Personal opinions, everyone has one.

to admit, u SURE CAN SPREAD IT:53::53:

fngrobert
02-27-2010, 03:42 AM
I kinda get that Alpha stuff when I go to local shops. I like to talk to the guys there and glean anything I can learn from them. What's frustrating is when I'm kind of dismissed because they really don't know that much. It becomes apparent they're covering up with some of the things they say to save face then the silence that follows when they're hoping you'll leave them alone. I asked one guy if the problems with the S&W Sigmas had been ironed out and he had no idea what I was talking about. Really? I learned a long time ago to be open & teachable. It's the only way to learn.

jocko
02-27-2010, 07:33 AM
I kinda get that Alpha stuff when I go to local shops. I like to talk to the guys there and glean anything I can learn from them. What's frustrating is when I'm kind of dismissed because they really don't know that much. It becomes apparent they're covering up with some of the things they say to save face then the silence that follows when they're hoping you'll leave them alone. I asked one guy if the problems with the S&W Sigmas had been ironed out and he had no idea what I was talking about. Really? I learned a long time ago to be open & teachable. It's the only way to learn.

many when they go ijnto a gun shop or a high dollar watch shop and you act like you don't know jack sh-t but your really do. then you truly find out what a salesman is and what a lieing salesman is to. If they sense you don't know jack, they will expound sh-it on you that will make you puke,but again they think you are stupid when indeed you know as much or not more than what they are talking about. I would surely bet that the kahr owners on this forum are far more knowledgable about their kahrs as ANY guns salesman,

Just play stupid sometimes and go in and inquire about kahrs. If they like um they will give you a sales line that will amaze u, if they don't like um they will give you a negative sales line that will amaze you. Now if they don't have any kahrs in the showcase, fully expect to hear nothing but negatives as to why they don't sell them. They are traned to sell what they have in stock..
Its a shame but that is how the system works..

Tack
06-06-2010, 11:53 AM
I detail stripped and cleaned my CW45 today. There was alot of brass and other metal flakes in the striker channel. I've only put around 100 rds through it so far, so the previous owner did a fair amount of shooting based on the amount of crud I got out of it. Noticeable difference once I was finished though.

BadAndy
06-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Great write up! I plan to do this when I pick up my CW9 from my FFL. I bought a brand new M&P 9 and XD 9 subcompact and both of them needed to have the striker channels cleaned out. It was very surprising how much gunk was built up in there.

hedgehog
09-12-2010, 02:22 PM
is there a good re-assembly video out?

hedgehog
09-12-2010, 03:21 PM
just kidding i figured it out. :)

Too Tall Todd
06-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I have carefully studied the tutorial on how to disasemble the slide on my Kahr, when I insert even a significant punch into the half circle cutout to push the back extractor pin (27) to release the back cover plate (4) I cannot get it to move forward. Am I doing something wrong or should I use more force? I don't know how much pressure to apply and I don't want to hurt anything. How much movement is needed to release that plate? Conversely how difficult is it to put it back together? Thanks for your assist, T

wyntrout
06-24-2011, 11:38 AM
The pin has to be pushed in quite a bit so the back plate is free to move down. Once the plate starts holding the pin in place, it's easier to pull the plate down... remembering to use your thumb to do that AND cover the release of the striker spring assembly AND the extractor/spring/backplate pin. Both of these spring "trains" can launch :eek: as the backplate slides downward. See my photos of the items in each assembly.
Post#3 here:
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3295&highlight=strip+slide

Another small screwdriver can be used to start the backplate moving AFTER the retention pin is pushed in far enough... and whatever you used for that is NOT impeding the plates movement. Be careful with the screwdriver not to mar the finish, especially the DLC model.

Wynn:)

Bawanna
06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
I have carefully studied the tutorial on how to disasemble the slide on my Kahr, when I insert even a significant punch into the half circle cutout to push the back extractor pin (27) to release the back cover plate (4) I cannot get it to move forward. Am I doing something wrong or should I use more force? I don't know how much pressure to apply and I don't want to hurt anything. How much movement is needed to release that plate? Conversely how difficult is it to put it back together? Thanks for your assist, T

I had to put quite a bit of pressure on the extractor pin, it takes a very small punch, I ended up using a pick. I had to use a very small screwdriver tip to put a little pressure downward to get the back plate to get started off.
Once it started it was easy after that. Putting it back together was easy also. Take note of the order of the extractor chain. The first piece behind the extractor has to be oriented correctly, doubt it would go together any other way.

wyntrout
06-24-2011, 11:47 AM
You have to take the pressure off the backplate by compressing the striker spring assemble with the "C" clamp first..

wyntrout
09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
I took some pictures of the back plate to show why you need a skinny strong tool like a jeweler's screwdriver to push the pin in to remove the plate. The tension from the striker spring on the plate must be removed first... best with the "C" clamp made from a coat hanger.

I had to delete half the photos to make this post, but here's the Photbucket link to the album with them all:

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/Kahr%20PM9%20Slide%20Back%20Plate/

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/Kahr%20PM9%20Slide%20Back%20Plate/IMG_1740.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/Kahr%20PM9%20Slide%20Back%20Plate/IMG_1745.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/Kahr%20PM9%20Slide%20Back%20Plate/IMG_1741.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/Kahr%20PM9%20Slide%20Back%20Plate/IMG_1748.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/Kahr%20PM9%20Slide%20Back%20Plate/IMG_1747.jpg

With the striker spring restrained, take a very strong, small jeweler screwdriver and push in the pin on the right side, keeping the screwdriver as far to the right as possible, then the plate can be slid downwards and off, keeping your thumb over the pin to keep it from shooting out.
When the pressure is removed from the extractor "train", the extractor can rotate a bit and fall out of the slide. Don't lose it!

JFootin
09-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks, Wynn! I have an idea for keeping the extractor from falling out: put a piece of tape over it.

I am going to tackle it again in a little while. Hopefully, with all of the help from you, Bawanna and everyone, I will be able to get that 5 lb striker spring installed.

Edit: as a matter of fact, some tape over that extractor pin after the back plate is removed will keep it from falling out.

wyntrout
09-07-2011, 10:52 AM
The tape is a good idea. Good luck!

Ressom
09-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes, I have now one of my small jeweler's screwdrivers in my gun cleaning box as a dedicated Kahr slide disassembly tool. Sitting beside my coat-hanger retention tool... I'm serious!

wyntrout
09-07-2011, 11:48 AM
I know it's kind of a comical thought, but how many times have you wished for a third hand... maybe growing out of your chest??

Wynn:D

Bawanna
09-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Yes, I have now one of my small jeweler's screwdrivers in my gun cleaning box as a dedicated Kahr slide disassembly tool. Sitting beside my coat-hanger retention tool... I'm serious!

I have a little drawer on my bench that I keep these super secret specialty homemade devices. I have the bent coat hanger thingamajig for my K40 and another for my PM45, along with a few other tweaker tools.

One so rarely has to use them I find myself thinking how the heck did I do this the last time and usually end up making an identical tool which of course I automatically place in the same little drawer which is when I get the a ha moment and think of myself as dumb and forgetful.

wyntrout
09-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Most of my at-hand-storage-"systems" are more like compost heaps... every time I'm looking for something, I churn the stuff and further mix it up. Convenient piles of stuff get churned and mixed up, so that the important stuff on the top is soon buried and forgotten!

Wynn:D

deanp1964
11-06-2011, 06:21 PM
dude, this is awesome

thanks

joshh
02-23-2012, 08:40 PM
getting ready to do this for the 1st time. got a bunch of boxes through the pm9 now & while i do spray it out w/ synsafe then eezox it, i feel its due for a slide teardown and proper eezoxing. am i right to assume the procedure is the same for my ma compliant version?

carkarrier
02-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Be nice......some LEOs are human.

carkarrier
02-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Whoops wrong thread.....

midmo
03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
this there a different link for this video? my computer for some reason will not open it

david8613
05-14-2012, 08:08 PM
I know this old but just incase... nice vid, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5h5iexfLzg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

joshh
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2884/82045051.jpgafter well over 500 rounds and over a year of every-day-carry, i finally made some time to do real cleaning on my pm9! easier than i thought it would be to do and damn it was WAY CLEANER than i thought it'd be. also no more wear on it now than after break in. very impressed. my normal maintenance after shooting is to spray out the slide with non-clorinated brake cleaner, put a thin coat of eezox on all the metal and a drop on the striker spring, let it dry, reassemble & wipe down. not to sound like a commercial but i have to say i am 100% sold on eezox now more than ever.

PYROhafe
07-20-2012, 09:39 PM
If im going to install the 5lb striker spring, do i need to take the train completly out, or can I get away with just pulling the spring and swapping in the new one? Should i go ahead and pull everything out and clean while im that far in anyways?

Tinman507
07-21-2012, 03:07 AM
You're 98% of the way in there, why not go the other 2%?
Clean, check and be sure.

PYROhafe
07-21-2012, 06:04 PM
:( had a feeling today wasnt the day to try this, but I went for it anyways and now im missing the striker spring guide.... couple parts went flying (didnt have everything pointed down into the bag) and I found everything except the striker spring guide.... looks like im makin an order from kahr! just been one of those days..... :(

ripley16
07-21-2012, 06:15 PM
.... couple parts went flying

If you use the "Ripley Retractor" shown in post #3, that won't happen again. The coathanger wire tool holds everything inside the slide, and takes pressure off the rear plate while you remove it. Then with your thumb over the rear hole you can ease the retractor off and allow the guide rod and spring to expand out. It works.

PYROhafe
07-21-2012, 06:25 PM
yeah... thought about that, but I figured what the hey... im only taking it down this time to change out the striker spring.... I wont bother with making the tool for just this once.... like I said... its been one of those days! (went to lowes and got the wrong part, tried to fix the washing maching drain and that failed, ran into several problems changing out the ceiling fan in the guest room, went to the grocery store and left my milk n had to go back.... then lost the striker spring guide)

PYROhafe
07-21-2012, 08:45 PM
I FOUND IT!!!!! whew! Im going to bed! (just so I can end on a good note!)
well tore everything down, looks great! Got the 5lb striker spring installed, and that feels pretty sweet too! Cant wait to get it out to the range next weekend to try it out! I love this forum! (can you tell im in a much better mood now that my cm9 is back in order!?

mudslinger79
08-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Why won't my slide cover plate come off? I have a CW9 and I can't for the life of me get that little cover off. I've made the life coat hanger retention tool, but I can't get the plate to move.

Tinman507
08-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Are you pushing in the little pin behind the half moon cutout on the rear?
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/images.jpg
I found the smallest jewelers screwdriver (in a set of them) worked the best. It takes more oomph than you realize to push that in the first time. Once you push that in, begin to slide the cover off. Once it begins to move, remove the screwdriver. Cover that area with your thumb as the extractor pins and spring will want to come a flyin.

ripley16
08-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Be aware that the small opening in the rear is not fully open, there's only about 1/2 a hole there in which to use a small tool to push the retention spring away from the rear plate.

Bawanna
08-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Be aware that the small opening in the rear is not fully open, there's only about 1/2 a hole there in which to use a small tool to push the retention spring away from the rear plate.

True, the little hole is deceiving, it's smaller than it looks, you can push but if you don't hit the small half hole your not accomplishing anything.

Pyro, I'm glad you found the pieces, it's kind of like winning the lottery when you find the long lost part. Kind of a yee haw moment, been there many times.

That spring will actually improve a bit over time too once it acquires a little bit of a set. I ran the trigger gauge when I installed mine and there wasn't that much difference, but I had a pretty light end original. It improved a bit after one range visit. Does make a difference.

mudslinger79
08-08-2012, 02:54 PM
I have been using an eye glass screw driver too push the small circle but it will not budge. Is it that tight?

Bawanna
08-08-2012, 02:58 PM
First few times the rear plate can sometimes be hard to get started. Might have to depress that pin and pry a tad on the plate itself.
My first time I thought I was depressing but I really wasn't, then when I did get it pushed in the plate was tight. It's not hard if you know what to expect.

ripley16
08-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Try a drop of oil to penetrate the sides of the plate that fit together with the sides of the slide. Also mark your screwdriver with a pencil at the edge of the plate so you can see if you are depressing it. The spring need only move a few milimeters to relieve pressure on the plate. A thin blade, slotted screwdriver may be needed to pry and move the plate down initially.

mudslinger79
08-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Success! ! Got home from work last night, pulled the slide off the frame, took out the barrel and recoil spring, grabbed my tiny screw driver and pushed like mad. I finally felt it move!! Now I know what to look for. Thanks for the info!!!!!

Tinman507
08-09-2012, 05:17 AM
Glad it worked out for you. Strongly suggest doing the dis assembly inside a large plastic bag. Sort of like a motorcycle helmet. Won't prevent the explosion of parts but you'll be able to locate all the parts.:eek:

mr.ed
07-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Guys - new to the forum and late to this awesome post. I just got an MK40 used and believe it either has original or original replacement springs. Seller didn't know - so I'm planning a full spring , guide rod, striker spring, and possibly striker replacement. These discussions help the helpless. And I know where I fit, until I've dismantled the weapon, lost a small part, ordered the replacement, and found the missing piece on the day the mailman comes with the new part. Dilemma! Put the old back in or replace with new? Ain't life grand!

Vetack
08-12-2015, 05:59 PM
That is a handy PDF to have around, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bondsman
07-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Thanks Great Info
Jim