PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Newcomer Welcome

wyntrout
09-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Well, how does this look... the Newcomer Welcome post I just threw together? It's wordy and rambling, but I'm trying to get a lot of information under one heading or post to placed at the top of the first page. It's too long, but maybe it will help keep self-induced malfunctions down!

Wynn:)

Tinman507
09-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Nicely done!!

If you're anything like me, you'll self-edit it 20 times before leaving it alone.
Thanks for starting this.
I am sure the next generation of newbies will appreciate it.

socialwork911
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
as one of those newbees ...I like

wyntrout
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks, and yeah, I edit everything several times before posting... then every time I see it I notice something else. I'm not a typist and I'm having major problems with this 32-bit XP ME/Professional Windows computer. I can't even use my Outlook any more... crashes the PC... and now I get halted processing of keyboard or mouse inputs... 10 to 20 seconds frozen cursor or busy indicator... sometimes terminal and restarts take FOREVER! I always leave my PC on and maybe turn off the monitor. Booting or rebooting just takes forever and I couldn't get time enough to get around to doing this post.

We've seen too many self-induced problems and I'm hoping to point everyone toward the posts and links that can help them, especially the Kahr take down videos. I'm no expert myself, but the collective here is pretty helpful.

Frayed Knot
09-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Well done! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I'm not new to guns but am relatively new to Kahrs. You assembled a very helpful resource.:)

downtownv
09-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Well now if we can make this mandatory (I agree) PRIOR to being allowed to join......

Bawanna
09-10-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm not fond of the word "mandatory", it sounds so aaaa governmentish.

How about strongly encouraged, that work?

We're just Santa's helpers or Kahr helpers here trying to encourage a harmonious outcome.

JFootin
09-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Very good, Wynn! And cudos to the forum mods for the forum page! :yo:

Tinman507
09-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Justin's Helpers?

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/JustinSanta.jpg

Bawanna
09-10-2012, 04:03 PM
I was thinking of that very thing, thanks so much for not letting me down. Your good, damn good.

wyntrout
09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
With my computer problems, I've been dragging my feet, but every time I help someone, I have to look up the links and post them. It's more work on my Ubuntu/Linux machine... and it and the browser and the email program all take turns crashing... but apologize... unlike Windows!

When JohnH looks over this and we finalize on the content, it can be made a sticky and put at the top of the page. I think that it ought to be a "closed" post, though, so it won't get unwieldy and you'll have to page through stuff.

Tinman507
09-10-2012, 04:54 PM
How about something like a logic tree?

P380 No lockback:

Try this this and this..... Did this help?
Yes click here
No click here

Either one takes you to another page but follows in a logical sequence.

Would be a lot of work but worth it in the long run.

Bawanna
09-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Might be a good thing for the folks at Kahr. A bit out of our realm I'm thinking. Would be a lot of work for sure.

downtownv
09-11-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm not fond of the word "mandatory", it sounds so aaaa governmentish.

How about strongly encouraged, that work?

We're just Santa's helpers or Kahr helpers here trying to encourage a harmonious outcome.

You are right how bout part of the sign up and a I Agree button?

Tinman507
09-11-2012, 05:58 PM
How about:
Either agree or Jocko comes by to give you a Harley ride?

jlottmc
09-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Good work Wynn.

wyntrout
09-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Thanks. I could add a lot more, but It's a large post already and I can't cover everything or keep the reader awake with much more. I thought about at least one picture... the dreaded chip out of the embedded rail.

The Take Down Video can save a lot of self-inflicted malfunctions.

WMD
09-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Nice job Wynn! The post really came out good. It looks like you hit all of the major areas of concern.

Again, very nice work! :)

johnh
09-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Fantastic post, and it has been stuck! :) When I get VB4 rolling I will have a few more options for how to make post info appear on the main page. This sort of stuff is a good example of the kinds of info I can rotate through that area.

xb12s
09-21-2012, 08:23 AM
It's a good post Wynn. I would have liked it when I was new, but then again I might not have stumbled across it. My suggestion is that you also make a copy of this sticky over on the Kahr Tech section also. Another idea would be to send a link to this sticky when signing up for the forum for the first time as part of the welcome email.

wyntrout
09-21-2012, 08:28 AM
I noticed that the views haven't really increased a rapidly as I would'a thought.

I wanted it to be the first thing that newcomers see... that take down video could save a lot of grief for guys that don't like to read manuals.

xb12s
09-21-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't think I've ever seen the take down video (would have liked to), but I had managed to read on the forum here that you could screw it up if you didn't put it back together correctly, so that got me to read the manual the first couple of times I did it.

wyntrout
09-27-2012, 07:28 AM
It's good to do both, but a lot of people just want to finger it out themselves... which can get you in trouble!:eek:

I've had a K9 since March of '98 and got a PM9 in early 2010, after joining this forum and listening to all of the guys extolling its virtues. I figured take down was the same as my other Kahr... didn't read the manual... got stuck on removing the slide lock. It took a picture of how I was aligning the slide... like the K9... before someone realized I wasn't doing what was required for the polymer pistol... alignment marks, etc! Then I read the manual. :blushing: