PDA

View Full Version : Will a TP40 barrel work in a P40?

ABNAK
10-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Kinda like how a Glock 23 barrel will work in a Glock 27. I would like to give my P40 full-sized, 4" ballistics but retain the P40's shorter slide and grip. That extra 1/2" of barrel sticking out is negligible as far as concealment.

I read somewhere that the barrel lugs are the same in the TP series as they are in the P's. That would likely be the only hangup.

So, can it be done? I guess if someone had both they could compare the lug area and even drop it in to see.

ETA---I have NO interest in the extended and ported barrel Kahr sells. I'm talking about an unported 4" TP barrel in a P40.

ripley16
10-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I can say this much; my TP9 barrel will not fit into my P9. The barrels are shaped differently. My P9 is an older model and my TP is a newer model. Whether that matters or not, I don't know.

ABNAK
10-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I can say this much; my TP9 barrel will not fit into my P9. The barrels are shaped differently. My P9 is an older model and my TP is a newer model. Whether that matters or not, I don't know.

Crap! I suspect that if it is a differently cut barrel in the 9mm series then I bet it is the same in the .40's.

jocko
10-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I ben dammed ripley16. leanred sumpin today..

ripley16
10-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Here's a photo of the two barrels. The TP on the left, P on the right. I'm pointing to the major difference between the two, but as you can see there are other slight differences.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Kahr/KahrTPandPbarrels001.jpg

CJB
10-07-2012, 04:27 PM
From that picture, it looks like removing material from the TP barrel might be just the job for an enterprising gunsmith.

jocko
10-07-2012, 04:32 PM
From that picture, it looks like removing material from the TP barrel might be just the job for an enterprising gunsmith.

but what it might do when u tried to use it in ur TP handgun???. Having never seen a aTP barrel until now, I didn't know there was achange even,so I am just assuming. At the worst I guess u would just ruin a barrel and have to buy a new one...

ABNAK
10-07-2012, 06:40 PM
but what it might do when u tried to use it in ur TP handgun???. Having never seen a aTP barrel until now, I didn't know there was achange even,so I am just assuming. At the worst I guess u would just ruin a barrel and have to buy a new one...

My intent would've been to just buy a TP40 barrel from Kahr, not the whole gun.

ABNAK
10-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Here's a photo of the two barrels. The TP on the left, P on the right. I'm pointing to the major difference between the two, but as you can see there are other slight differences.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Kahr/KahrTPandPbarrels001.jpg

Thanks for the pic! That is exactly what I was looking for!

Would a straight milling off of that "tab" on the TP barrel work? It looks like the TP feedramp is more centered and the P is more offset.....true? If so then it's a definite no-go.

Guess I could always get a TP40 and have the grip shortened to P40 specs.......:rolleyes: