PDA

View Full Version : Our "new" P9 is finally here.

wyntrout
10-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Well, I finally made it the dealer Saturday and picked up the P9 DLC with Novak NS.

I think that Lucky13 got his dealer to send it USPS Priority Mail Tuesday and it got into town late Wednesday. The USPS tracking said they tried to deliver on Thursday and did on Friday. I went in Saturday and got it. What a great little pistol! It's like my K9 without the extra half pound or so!

It was in great shape and very dry lube-wise. I took care of that today and tore down the slide and the magazines. I shot NCBC through the striker and extractor tunnels and then a quick shot of WD40 through the extractor tunnel. I cleaned up the overspray and then lubed everything with Tetra oil. I cleaned all of that off the striker and parts, leaving only a little oil on the spring and the safety block... and the entire extractor train, of course. That all went back together with no drama during the entire process... nothing went flying!

The mags were dirty and I ran a large, tight patch through the tubes and then cleaned and lubed the internal parts. The springs and tube were dusty and I found a good-sized dust bunny in each tube.:eek:

I did use some Flitz to polish the feed ramp and the underside of the slide aft of the "stripper". While I had the slide apart, I went ahead and put my last (of 3) Wolff 5-lb striker springs in it to reduce the trigger pull and racking force for my wife. Ostensibly, this is my wife's get-home pistol. :rolleyes: I still have to get an OWB holster and set up a belt for her. I already have 4 mags, so there are 6 for it and the K9... and I have unassigned 8-round extended grip mags that I can give her one for a carry spare, too.

I used Tetra grease on the rails... front and rear, as well as pre-loading the front grooves on the frame. I put a little Tetra oil on the plastic rails, and on everything else that needed oil. I got it all back together and wiped it down a few times before making a bike tube grip cover. I still have about 2/3 of that 1.75" tube left... after making 6 grip covers and maybe a bad one or two. This one was just right on the first attempt. I washed the cover, dried it and shot some silicon spray all over it. Then I dried that off and put it on easily. It looks and feels great.

There was a little bevel on the "stripper" part of the slide, but it's not critical on the 9mm... plenty of room behind the top round in the magazine for the stripper to fit behind... unlike the .45's, where the stripper might rest on top of the cartridge rim, rather than behind it.

There was also no "notch" in the slide's front receptacle for the recoil spring assembly. I looked closely and saw no sign of wear or damage where the recoil assembly might be beating against that area, so I'll just watch it.

The rear sight is definitely Novak, but I'm not sure if the dovetails are different from the regular Kahrs'. I'll try to compare the dimensions later. I don't know what all I'll be doing to the pistol for my wife... whether she will need more visible sights... fiber optic, or what... her eyesight is worse than mine... and her arms are not long enough... if you know what I mean... holding stuff out far enough to read without glasses. I'll still thinking about having it Mag-na-ported, too, and maybe then some different sights. SHE will have to shoot it and see how she likes it.

Well, now a few pages of pictures. I'm on my Ubuntu machine and I don't have the familiarity or software to manipulate the photos as I normally would, so I'll see how it goes.

First a pictures of the pistol with magazines, then a few of the sights, and then the front inner rails... no "chip"!

Wynn:)

wyntrout
10-07-2012, 01:13 PM
On the frame picture of the rails, you can see where the Serial number plate anchors come through.

First the back underside of the slide. I see the dimple indicating it's the newer version of the slide.

Next muzzle and then the feed ramp... very clean.

The "stripper" bevel and then the slides receptacle for the front of the recoil assembly. No wear, so might be okay. My K9 showed some slight damage there, so I gave it a bit of a "notch" to let the recoil assembly move freely.

I go overboard with pictures... more to come. :D

wyntrout
10-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Now a picture of the dust bunny. :D

Both mags had a decent-sized dust bunny and there was a bit of dust on everything. I ran a tight patch through the tube and lightly oiled everything else inside after cleaning.

The side cover is pinned... and a long one at that... kind of sharp on the left side. I'll have to see if I can take the extra length off without scratching the finish. You can tear skin if you slide part of your hand across that protrusion... and it is sharp.:eek:

I function checked all mags with snap caps and then 7 rounds each of FMJ twice without any problems... rapid racking.

I cut and installed the bike tube grip covers and it's ready to go to the range when I get a chance. I really like this pistol!

I'll have to assemble the Kahrs and take a family picture some day!

powwowell
10-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Fantastic pictures. They are causing me to develop a good case of envy. I just love exploring the ins and outs of a new pistol.

ripley16
10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Nice looking P9. Yours is newer than mine, (no dimple on the slide), but it looks old enough to have a pin instead of a screw on the side plate.

There was also no gap in the slide's front receptacle for the recoil spring assembly. I looked closely and saw no sign of wear or damage where the recoil assembly might be beating against that area, so I'll just watch it.

My slide does show a small amount of wear on the front recoil spring housing. Tiny chips are missing. Yours looks pristine, possibly showing very little use.

No notch in the front rail on mine either. I'd never noticed. ;)

wyntrout
10-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Thanks, guys. I had to go back and edit/change "gap" to "notch"... forgot or mixed up the correct terminology!

I guess that if/when I get the Dremel Like Tool (DLT) out to do some polishing... stripper bar and a few other places, I'll give it a small notch. I don't think it has been shot much, either. The barrel is pretty pristine, except for a little "fitting" itself to the frame. The muzzle looks new.

I did check the sights' dovetails and the rear are definitely not standard Novak LoMount. This was of interest because Trijicon has the HD NS for 1911's now... with the Novak dimensions. They haven't posted any other dimensions that I've noted. I would still like those sights on my P40... and maybe this P9. The NS are 8 years old and maybe half as bright as my 2010 NS on the K9 that I had re-lamped at Trijicon. That's still an option, but I don't think even new ones would be bright enough for my wife.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=CA128Y

CA128Y: 1911 HD Night Sight Set - Yellow Front Outline (fits Novak Low Mount Dovetail Cut)
The CA128Y HD Night Sights fit the 1911 Novak Dovetail Cut Models.

The HD Night Sights were specifically created to address the needs of tactical shooters.

The three dot green tritium night sight set’s front sight features a taller blade and an aiming point ringed in photoluminescent paint while the rear sight is outlined in black and features a wider U-shaped notch. This unique configuration increases visibility and quickens front sight acquisition—even in transitional lighting.

Additionally, the front surface of the rear sight is steeply hooked to assist in emergency one-handed slide operation. The HD Night Sights are designed to shine—even in the most demanding conditions.

Green tritium lamps are warranted for 12 years from date of manufacture.

NOTE:
The fronts are .330” x 65 degree dovetail
The rears (Fixed LoMount Carry) are .495” x 65 degree dovetails

Delivery is 8 weeks! So I guess they are swamped and won't be adding Kahrs any time soon. :(

I just weighed the K9(with CT Laser Grips) with 7+1 rounds of 124-gr GDSB: 29.80 oz.
And the P9 with 7+1 GDSB weighed 21.85 oz, so the difference is a smidgen below 8 ounces. I'm sure that the CT LG weighs a tiny bit more than the regular grips.

I tried a magnet on the magazine catch, and as I suspected, it's polymer on both of the outsides. I have a spare P40 catch and it's all steel. I'm not going to worry about that unless I have problems.

I used a needle file to take most of the point off the sideplate pin protruding to the left... without too much scratching.:rolleyes: It still protrudes a bit too much but isn't fishhook point sharp any more.:eek:

Decado
10-10-2012, 04:07 AM
I just got a p9 too, its the stainless slide black frame model. I have the pin in the slide plate too, I didnt know what that circle on the rear left side of the frame was until you posted pics, mine also came bone dry and dirty, it can be sling shotted, my cw9 and cw40 couldnt be sling shotted, I need to get it out to the range.

gb6491
10-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Very nice addition to the collection Wynn (BTW, excellent photos)!

First the back underside of the slide. I see the dimple indicating it's the newer version of the slide.
http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6669&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1349636837

...:D
If I'm not mistaken, the "dimple" indicating a "new sight cut" slide would be located closer to the rear of the slide (between the striker block and the cover plate).

Regards,
Greg

jocko
10-10-2012, 10:47 AM
i thought so to but I think I have seen this before on a coule of kahrs. I have seen some with two dimples on them. Must have been a slow day.

ruchik
10-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Can you tell me exactly what brand and size of inner tube you used? All the ones I found at my local shops have an annoying little ridge running along the inside and outside of them.

Decado
10-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Yup, the tube I used has that same ridge and a blue line the whole length of the tube, my oldest daughters mountain bike had the flat that I butchered the tube from. Makes a big difference in the grip so I dont mind the blue line and ridge.

wyntrout
10-11-2012, 07:36 PM
I've had this one for maybe 13 years or so... unused. It's by Huffy... 26"x 1.75/2.00 Bike Tube... WAS $1.99 at Wal-Mart. Mine has tiny ridges but not so noticeable, and I reversed it... inside out. This size fits PM45 to P380 with no problems.