PDA

View Full Version : ported barrel for cw-9 from Kahr

Little Dragon
03-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Has anyone purchased one and if so how did it work? Oh yeah and I'm new here, I've had my cw-9 for a year now over 1500 round through it and not one hiccup.
Joe

jeep45238
03-12-2010, 06:47 PM
It surely won't hurt. Think about it - these pistol porting deals are mini muzzlebrakes, and people love those muzzlebrakes on rifles.

I wouldn't be listening to the folks that say you have to send to a porting company - a vent in the barrel will vent gas after the bullet passes, whether it's in the middle of the barrel or the end.

That said, ask yourself if you'd be better off spending $150 on a drop in barrel and ammunition, or $150 towards a gun fighting course and ammunition to learn better skills with your pistol that will transfer and stay with you your whole life?

Little Dragon
03-12-2010, 07:11 PM
I hear ya! I'm a Frontsight kinda guy but wanted the ported barrel too! Gunsite in Arizona is a blast also!

Little Dragon
03-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Hey Jeep, thanks for the reply, also, do you happen to know if the ported barrels are the polygonal or not?
Thanks again,
Joe

jocko
03-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Hey Jeep, thanks for the reply, also, do you happen to know if the ported barrels are the polygonal or not?
Thanks again,
Joe

PM sent , from someone who owns and shoots Kahrs with ported barrel and slide..

jocko
03-13-2010, 09:49 AM
It surely won't hurt. Think about it - these pistol porting deals are mini muzzlebrakes, and people love those muzzlebrakes on rifles.

I wouldn't be listening to the folks that say you have to send to a porting company - a vent in the barrel will vent gas after the bullet passes, whether it's in the middle of the barrel or the end.

That said, ask yourself if you'd be better off spending $150 on a drop in barrel and ammunition, or $150 towards a gun fighting course and ammunition to learn better skills with your pistol that will transfer and stay with you your whole life?

one can't buy a ported barrel and still take a gun fighting course??? I didn't know they were related even... Haven't seen a gun fighting course offered for $150 either. Probabaly are some but the name brand guys aren't that cheap. One does not have to send his gun to a porting company but it sure makes a nicer looking set up that a 3/4" or more barrel sticking out the end .

of the slide, let along finiding a hoslter for it. Course what do I know, I have only owned and shoot magna ported guns for over 25 years. MY PM9, K9, G19, Smith Model 60 are all magna ported and they work as designed ...

jeep45238
03-13-2010, 10:18 AM
You missed a point completely man. Pick your priorities where you're going to spend your money.

Oye.

jocko
03-13-2010, 10:23 AM
You missed a point completely man. Pick your priorities where you're going to spend your money.

Oye.

I knew exactly what u were saying. One can do both also. Certainly my priorites are not the same as yours... Porting to u, is not a priority. Maybe to some, it is .

Vincent
03-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Seems to me the question was about a ported barrel. How that turns into telling someone to spend their money training does not translate.

As for holsters an open muzzle holster like my Bianchi 105 will work just fine.

bayoutrigger
03-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Just wondering, if a ported pistol barrel was such an improvement why don't they come that way from the factory?

jeep45238
03-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Just wondering, if a ported pistol barrel was such an improvement why don't they come that way from the factory?

2 things.

1)$$$$
2)Tradition

You find them on rifles such as the AR and AK platforms out of the factory. Part is tradition (ala A2 birdcage) - but lots of builders these days are offering a literal plethera of brakes to install. They are popular because of the reduced muzzleflip and felt recoil. Heck, LOTS of shotguns come from the factory ported.

It also adds a solid $100+ to a gun for a simple screw on brake - EDM on the barrel/slide is up there.

Look around and you'll see that there are some big name companies that offer it from the factory (such as Springfield and Glock to name two off the top of my head).

jocko
03-14-2010, 04:46 PM

sights could be deemed an improvement also. but some don't want um, as some don't want a ported gun. It is an option that if you want,u have to search out what is best for the gun of ur choice. and also as one stated dollars come into play here also..:19:

Little Dragon
03-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Update, okay well I ordered the ported barrel, even though after I did I found out about Magna port, which looks like an awesome way to do it! I will let everyone know how it goes with it once installed.

I have a Mitch Rosen holster and the extra 1/2 barrel will not be a problem for CCW carry. It is also an extended barrel from the p-9 that has been ported, so it is going to have the polygonal barreling! So I'm interested to see how it works. I'll let you all know.
Joe

Little Dragon
03-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Okay ported barrel is awesome as far as getting quickly back on target! I do not see much difference between the non-polygonal and polygonal though? Must be by way of velocity, cant tell shooting it though.
Joe