View Full Version : .45 acp Boolits

mr surveyor
11-19-2012, 04:13 PM
woohoo.... bullet order came in today. A 500 ct box of 230 gr lrn bullets from Bayou Bullets. These are coated with a dry lube coating...completely coated and non sticky. The prettiest dark green, and the lube groove is gold colored. These look like something a kid painted (real good) with his Testors Model paints. Donnie Miculek (Jerry Miculek's brother) is the owner and caster of/for Bayou Bullets in far/far South Louisana, and is definately experienced in his work. Can't wait to load up a batch and give 'em a try.

surv :D

Bawanna
11-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Good for you sir. There's actually two L's in boollits.

I miss the days when we could shoot lead around here. Have a couple thousand 45 Colt boollits that I have to shoot outside whenever I get a chance. Most of the indoor ranges (gets pretty damp outside round these parts this time of year) don't allow them any more.

Are them Bayou boollits pretty hard? I like a hard cast boollit myself.

mr surveyor
11-19-2012, 05:06 PM
I didn't ask about the bhn when I ordered them, and it's not stated on the website either. I just know that all the reviews I've read (dating back to 2009) have been excellent. I just hope I can come up with a few extra bucks to order some for .357 and .44 (and maybe another 1k or so in .45) before everyone overloads him with orders. Sounds like no one has experienced leading, when loaded at lead bullet spec's I suppose. I understand the lube is affectionately known as "Gator Snot", but since it is a product of an Aussie company I would tnink it would be "Croc Snot". The inside of the box, as well as the paper stuffing, was as clean as new, with absolutely no residue or discoloring. You can actually stick your index finger into the box of bullets all the way to the bottom of the box with very little resistance. These things are slick.

Bawanna
11-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Sweet.

mr surveyor
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Well, since I already had 250 pieces of brass prepped, and the pretty green projectiles, I loaded up five at noon today to test n the back yard....sweeet:D

Bawanna
11-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Five? Only five?:confused:

mr surveyor
11-20-2012, 04:32 PM
I'll be loading up a box or three tonight. The 5 were "test loads"....in the back yard .... didn't want to piss off the neighbors. Besides, I lost 4 out of the 5 pieces of brass in the leaves:o

Bawanna
11-20-2012, 04:35 PM
But, but, but your in Texas, how close can the neighbors be?

I know about pissed off neighbors, mine never complain but I don't like to shoot much out the back yard or they will complain and then things would just turn ugly and they don't need anymore of that, they are plenty ugly as is.

mr surveyor
11-20-2012, 09:45 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/cowpi/BayouBullets.jpg

Charlie98
11-20-2012, 10:53 PM
So that greenish color is the lube???

dkmatthews
11-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Cool! OD green boollits! :D

mr surveyor
11-21-2012, 07:54 AM
I believe these bullets are the "M&M's" of the bullet world.... the green dry lube melts in your barrel, not in your hand.

Bawanna
11-21-2012, 09:07 AM
They are kind of pretty. Wonder if it's bat dung to cause infection in addition to the wound channel.

Sort of like the poison darts the pres used growing up in his home land.

OldLincoln
11-21-2012, 10:42 AM
1. Are the lead bullets cheaper than plated or FMJ?

2. Poison tips.... In 1965 I was at Clark AFB in the Philippines living in a Section 8 Ward (for crazy folks). We got the last of the structured housing and they took the cell doors off but that's about all. About 25yds away was the perimeter dirt road followed by head tall grass. I about freaked out the next morning when I stepped out to find a half dozen natives (real natives) carrying blow guns and bows and arrows. They didn't pay much attention to us once we all got it that we were not to be their dinner. They didn't speak English but were good at communicating anyway.

Found out they were the Negrito Tribe of native Indians and were contracted to protect the base from the Huks (Hukbalahap Movement - rebel terrorists) and the Negrito Indians themselves. The story was that one time the contract was dropped and all kinds of stuff happened. So they hired them back and all was well.

Anyway, guys being guys, we made friends with them and they let us play with their weapons, but warning us over and over NOT to touch the tips as we would die. A couple of the guys traded cigarets for blow guns and darts minus the poison and had contests shooting into an old door.

PS: I'll save the story of the giant hair eating rat for another time.

mr surveyor
11-21-2012, 10:59 AM
I paid $68 for 500 delivered

Bawanna
11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Dayum, that's really good. Wish we could still shoot lead indoors around here.
I'd be all over that.

I see my beloved Precision Deltas have gone up just a bit but I'm happy that so far they are still showing in stock. Hoping to get 4 or 5000 before the hoarders start in for real. Won't be long now, already started on loaded ammo.

mr surveyor
11-21-2012, 11:24 AM
I would be real happy to have 2k each in .357, .44 and .45 (for starters anyway:)) in reserve

MW surveyor
11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
the regular lead Bayou Boollets when I go through Baton Rouge or visit the daughter and grandkids over there.

Last price I paid for the 45 was $36.00 per 500. (Got 1,500 200 grain LSW 45 ACP last time + 500 each of 124 grain 9mm and 158 grain 38/357)
That was a few months ago so no telling what they go for now.

I am just about sure (99.9%) that they have a BN of 18 for the greenies and the "silver" as my grandson says. The traditional lube shoot very well :53:

mr surveyor
11-21-2012, 05:13 PM
yep, I think he went up a bit on the prices, probably across the board. The 230 gr. greenies were marked at $49.50/500 a couple of weeks ago on his "old" web-site, then a couple days later when I got ready to order he had his new site up and running and the new price marked at $55/500. I wasn't gonna squibble over 5 bucks if it would keep me from trying the gator snot lube. Had hoped to get out to the range before the 7:30 close time tonight and shoot the box I made last night through a clean barrel, but just got in from a field job at 6:00. Maybe Friday.

les strat
11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Man, I need to start reloading. .44 mag, .45 ACP, and .223 reloads sure would be nice. Beardog was encouraging me to last year. I just need to ask Santa for a kit. Lee? Dillon? Rockchucker?

My LGS has a Rockchucker kit for $299. Is that a good kit? I know I would need dyes, powder, primers, lead, etc. A good digital scale.

dkmatthews
11-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Man, I need to start reloading. .44 mag, .45 ACP, and .223 reloads sure would be nice. Beardog was encouraging me to last year. I just need to ask Santa for a kit. Lee? Dillon? Rockchucker?

My LGS has a Rockchucker kit for $299. Is that a good kit? I know I would need dyes, powder, primers, lead, etc. A good digital scale.

Les, in my opinion, reloading .223 isn't worth the time and effort. It's a pain to clean the brass and get all of the cleaning media out.

I use a Lyman press with Lee dies. I prefer a manual scale to electronic just in case there's no power.

Fat-fingered from my Samsung Galaxy TAB2...

MW surveyor
11-21-2012, 09:14 PM
les - just remember, gravity just about always works! Nothing against digital scales, but there is nothing wrong with a good set of balance scales and they are not influenced by fluorescent lights. You do have to keep them out of a draft though.

dang, dk beat me to it!

AIRret
11-22-2012, 04:59 AM
So which 45 bullet is the most accurate?

MW surveyor
11-22-2012, 08:12 AM
So which 45 bullet is the most accurate?

You just gotta stir the pot, don't cha :eek:

For my 1911, 200 grain 0.452" diameter LSW over 4.0 grains of Bullseye powder. This is a light target load made for shooting bullseye type targets. (and the large metplat makes for really nice clean holes):D

FMJ 45s are 0.451 in diameter. The lead bullet "deforms" and engages all of the lands and grooves where the FMJ may not engage the lands and grooves fully.

The real answer is what works in your gun the best. I know that that is not the answer that you are looking for but it is the best that I can give you at this time.

Now I'm going to sit back and :popcorn:

AIRret
11-23-2012, 12:07 PM
You just gotta stir the pot, don't cha :eek:

For my 1911, 200 grain 0.452" diameter LSW over 4.0 grains of Bullseye powder. This is a light target load made for shooting bullseye type targets. (and the large metplat makes for really nice clean holes):D

FMJ 45s are 0.451 in diameter. The lead bullet "deforms" and engages all of the lands and grooves where the FMJ may not engage the lands and grooves fully.

The real answer is what works in your gun the best. I know that that is not the answer that you are looking for but it is the best that I can give you at this time.

Now I'm going to sit back and :popcorn:

Actually, that's the IS the kind of answer I was looking for. I've learned a lot from your response and this will really help once our reloading gear is set up.

What kind of medium do you use in your tumbler?

MW surveyor
11-25-2012, 05:25 AM
What kind of medium do you use in your tumbler?

Crushed walnut shell. Actually it is lizard bedding from Petsmart. About 10 pounds for $10.00 or maybe less/more. This stuff lasts along time so 10 pounds will probably last you maybe 20 years? I also use a cap full of car polish in about every third cleaning.

Planedude
11-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Back in the day, when I shot falling plate competition I had a 45acp load of 3.2 grains of Clays (shotgun powder) under a 230grn hardcast bullet. I found that was just enough energy to run the gun perfect (Springfield Armory 1911A1).
People who were recoil shy and haters of 1911s in general all LOVE that load. I may have to try it again as I found about a pound of leftover Clays and an unopend box of 500 hardcast 45acp bullets... Need primers now... and time.
Cool tip about the Lizard bedding I'll have to check that out. Shipping tumbling media usally ruins the bargin price. Getting it local would be cool.
The Lee is okay to start with and priced right. See: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit
Fine for most pistol rounds but get a good powder measure if you do alot of different powders. I have heard some complain that some powders drop inconsistant thru the Lee. The one I used did ball powder fine but its all I tried through it.
Of course the RCBS is a little bit more spendy, but your Grandson will be teaching his kids reloading with it someday...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

Good luck, once bitten by the reloading bug, forever infected.

AIRret
11-25-2012, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=MW surveyor;200487]Crushed walnut shell. Actually it is lizard bedding from Petsmart. About 10 pounds for $10.00 or maybe less/more. This stuff lasts along time so 10 pounds will probably last you maybe 20 years? I also use a cap full of car polish in about every third cleaning.[/QU

Thanks, I've heard that some folks use corn cob but that the walnut cleans the stubborn gunk better.
We are getting close to setting up our reloading gear. I've got the brass sorted and will begin cleaning it tomorrow. Plus we bought two great work benches at
Harbor Freight today (60" by 20 1/2" all hardwood with four draws) for $129.99
each. We put the first one together this afternoon and we are VERY please with
the fit, finish and quality. My husband was going to build the benches from scratch but at $129.99 we couldn't pass up the deal.
Happily, we are one step closer to reloading.

MW surveyor
11-25-2012, 05:22 PM
I believe that Petsmart and Petco also sell corn cob for about the same price. For the price and quantity that you would need, get both and try each out. See what you like better.

I use the Nu Finish car polish. Forgot to mention what type. Seems like a lot of people use the Nu Finish.

Sounds like a deal on the work bench. Getting so that building it yourself is way more expensive for a lot of things. Just hope that it is heavy enough so that when you pull down on the press handle, the bench does not move. The storage draws should be good for keeping some of the clutter off the bench. (Yea, right.)

AIRret
11-26-2012, 01:44 PM
The benches are very heavy and will be bolted to the wall and the floor.
What kind of case lube do you use and how do you clean it off?
Thanks!!

Bawanna
11-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Loading pistol, get carbide dies for sure and forget about case lube. With rifle you don't have the luxury but pistol go carbide without question.

MW surveyor
11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm with Bawanna on this. Get the carbide dies for pistol calibers and do away with case lube. Also, I would get the four die set where you taper crimp on in a separate step. Makes it way easier to set up your seating die and you will get consistency in your taper crimp especially if you used mixed brass.

mr surveyor
11-26-2012, 03:38 PM
yep, I love my Lee carbide 4 die sets. And with quick lock bushings, it's snap in-snap out, rarely need to even tweak adjustments unless you change bullet profiles and need to adjust the seating die.

I do occassionally lube one case out of 10-15 on the 44 mag, even with the carbide die, but never had to with .38/.357 (or .45 acp yet ... probably never)

Rubb
11-26-2012, 05:50 PM
+1...classic 4 hole turret.
Even easier...when changing calibers...just change the whole turret.
The auto disc is more accurate with finer (spherical) powders vs. flake.
My favorite right now is Titegroup.

BTW..the green bollits remind me of the CCI shot shells :)

AIRret
11-27-2012, 07:48 PM
I just confirmed that all are dies are carbide, so I guess we are good to go. Yeah!

Thanks for the help

mr surveyor
11-27-2012, 07:58 PM
there are a few internet whines about the Lee Factory Crimp Die with "oversized" bullets, but I've yet to have any problems with mine. The four die sets are the way to go.

Bongo Boy
11-29-2012, 09:46 PM
You may want to consider ultrasonic for cleaning, also. I've always cleaned with the vibratory 'tumbler', but the cases really only come out looking nice from the outside--inside they're dirtier than when they went into the tumbler.

So, down at Harbor Freight for $75 they have the same ultrasonic cleaner that I think Lyman sells. Git you a gallon of Citranox ($40) from amazon.com, which will fill your ultrasonic cleaner about 400 times. In 8 minutes the cases come out looking like this:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/40SWCases.jpg

with sparkling clean primer pockets. Rinse in hot water, shake dry and hit with the hot air gun or allow to air dry overnight. I don't believe I'll be using the tumbler ever again--at no time with any media did it ever clean the inside of the cases. Plus, this process is nearly silent--although a bit wet.

I just did a 1,000 cases last night (and tonight I finished up) and I believe I used about 1-2 ounces of Citranox. While the cleaner is running for 8 minutes (its maximum timer setting), I deprime cases using the progressive press with all but the decap/resize die removed. I'm liking this process.

Oh...plus of course you can clean your guns, reloading dies, jewelry and just about anything else in it too, and no more tumbler media to always be sweeping up, etc.

Just a suggestion.

mr surveyor
11-29-2012, 11:13 PM
ditto the ultrasonic cleaning. I use a small u/s cleaner I bought in 1983 to clean drafting pens (haven't used pens at all since 1994). It only holds 25-40 pieces of handgun brass at a time, but it's fast and effective. I usually run my revolver brass through the sizing/decapping die before it goes into the cleaner since it's not got enough grunge to hurt the carbide die or the brass. If it's real dirty and gritty "pick-up" brass, I may throw a big batch into a coffee can with 50-50 vinegar and water to pre-clean a bit before the normal process. I'd the same with really nasty brass if I was using a tumbler though.

The real advantage to the ultrasonic cleaner is that it gets your brass clean inside-out, as well as the primer pocket and flash hole. I normally go ahead and do my brass while I'm cleaning the guns that got it dirty, so I usually have a bunch of cleaned/resized brass waiting for primers, powder and bullets. Actually, I have more boxes of primed and ready to load brass than I do loaded brass.

Another pretty good product to really brighted "washed brass" is Birchwood Caseys Brass Cartridge Case Cleaner (phosphoric acid rather than citric, but still works well). I keep a coffee can about half full of the diluted solution that I pour into a coffee can with brass than just got rinsed from the ultrasonic bath, and let the brass sit in the BC cleaner for a couple of minutes - then strain the solution back into it's storage can for next time.

I really should get a larger U/S cleaner, but especially interested in the Citranox product. I'd rather buy it at a store though... I don't do Amazon.

I do love that total cleaness though:)

AIRret
11-30-2012, 05:19 AM
We sure appreciate all the help!!!

I've tumbled a couple of loads of brass. The first came out pretty good, but on the second load I cut up a dryer sheet (I read about adding the dryer sheet in a gun magazine this past summer) and put it in the load and it really brightened the brass. However, for days we have been talking about tumbling, de-primeing and then u/s cleaning.

Another question, (of course) do you mark your brass so you can tell how many times each case has been reloaded?

Is it important to use something like a case prep center to size the brass, or is the progressive press enough?