PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safe For The Car

Rufus
11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
I have been carrying my MK40 in the console of my SUV, but I am having second thoughts about the potential for it being taken. I have been looking for a good, but not break-the-bank, safe to install under the seat. I've looked at the GunVault products as well as others. Can anyone chime in on what I need to be looking at?

jocko
11-29-2012, 05:47 PM
My seats have so much electrical sh!t under them for the power seats that no way willone work without sticking out like a sore thumb. Just sayin

IMO ur worrying about sumpin that 99.995% won't happen to you. Just sayn.
Just buy a POS kel tek . the BG won't even take that, and it will go bang..

7shot
11-29-2012, 06:59 PM
I keep my K9 locked in the glove compartment of my SUV everyday! Since I can't CC in my work I have to keep it locked in the car. Never have had any issues...

GROTMAN
11-29-2012, 07:21 PM
I find this works pretty well for me :rolleyes:
http://www.snakesonstuff.com/images/car2.jpg (http://aperock.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/car2.jpg)

PYROhafe
11-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Just put 2 of these on my xmas list....
http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

Short Bus
11-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Just put 2 of these on my xmas list....
http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm
Get the key lock, the combo lock is efin JUNK!!! I have the key lock now and it's much better.

Bawanna
11-29-2012, 07:51 PM
I bought one similar to that at Cabela's. They had a real sturdy looking one for a ridiculous amount of money and this one. Of course I went cheap. I've never used it. I got the key one, has a little cable that you can wrap around something and a little pressed on ferrel that fits in a notch in the safe.

I've never even used it. When I got home I realized it would be a pain to break out the key, and I'm sure I could pull the safe off the cable in under 10 seconds.

I felt kind of dumb buying it. I now stick my gun in the map pocket on the back of my seat while I'm at work. Every where else I just wear it. That's the safest place to carry it.

Tinman507
11-29-2012, 08:29 PM
They're all basically junk. I have one, use it all the time and still think they're junk.

However.....

If it's enough to slow the boneheads down a little or to prevent some parking lot attendant or car mechanic from playing, then it works just fine. A determined criminal with time and a bolt cutter will be off with it in no time.
A casual junkie type likely won't mess with it.

OldLincoln
11-29-2012, 09:11 PM
I agree with Tinman (must be the broccoli I had for dinner). If you were a kinda, usually honest person who parked cars or changed oil or whatever, about to end your shift, and happened to come across a beautiful, naked gun you just may be tempted. If you came across an inexpensive locked gun safe attacked to the seat frame by a steel cable you just might handle temptation a bit stronger.

I have two of the cable safes, one tied to the bed frame and on the floor next to the bed, and the other - beats the hell outa me. I had it in my old car and haven't seen it since I sold it. Like Jocko they don't fit under either front seat of my car.

In CA, the law disallows storing a naked gun in the glove box or console, but it's okay if it is inside a locked gun glove anywhere in the car - like laying in the passenger seat.

garyb
11-30-2012, 01:38 PM
I have a cable safe (gunvault) near the bed and under the seat in each of our 3 vehicles and our Class A motor home. They rarely get used because I have my PM on me. However, rarely I find a need to lock it up in the vehicle....especially when traveling in the RV or when we reach a destination. I believe my handgun is better locked up when it is not on me. All of my other weapons are in a vault and the vault is hidden, super secured in an unusual location...one that the bad guys would probably not look for in a quick home robbery. They would not get in it anyway. If my weapons are not on me, they are locked up. Although the cable vehicle gunvaults are rarely used (because my PM is always on me) the cable vaults are better than nothing for a quick grab and run robbery, especially when tucked away out of sight. I paid $16 each for mine and I feel they were worth it.

Shark1007
12-09-2012, 07:34 PM
I have the little gunvault 20 buck one with the cable. I lock the weapon in the box, loop the cable arond the steering wheel and put the little safe in the center console. Hoping it will work.

les strat
12-09-2012, 07:46 PM
I have a keylock Nanosafe. I rarely use it as my pistol is usually on me. I have the cable locked around the seat frame. It might not stop all theives, but it sure will slow a smash and grab thug down.

XD40SC
12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I got the Gunvault Nano 300 and like posted prior, it's only used when I can't carry. Not worth much to stop a determined thief, but to a smash and grab artist, might just make the difference in taking too much time for them to mess with. Plus any joy riding kids will have to work a bit to get at my piece. http://www.gunvault.com/nano-vault-300-nv300.html

JohnR
12-10-2012, 07:09 AM
IMO ur worrying about sumpin that 99.995% won't happen to you. Just sayn.
Just buy a POS kel tek . the BG won't even take that, and it will go bang..
Ooooooh, Jocko - me love you long time, but your logic is faulty. We own guns because despite the fact that 99.995% of the time we will never need them, when we do need them, we really really need them. Same with security, to me. I don't think bad guys can tell a Kel Tec from a Hi Point from a Kahr, and really don't care. If it looks like it would get them easy money in a hold up, they'll take it. Even if the muzzle is orange, they'll use it.

I lock it in the glove compartment when necessary.

LorenzoB
12-10-2012, 08:04 AM
I have the little gunvault 20 buck one with the cable. I lock the weapon in the box, loop the cable arond the steering wheel and put the little safe in the center console. Hoping it will work.

Can you see the cable looped around the steering wheel? I think that is just too inviting for a curious criminal. They know that if they quickly go get cable cutters they could get something of real value... maybe even a gun!

When you are not in the car, hiding is first priority, then locked up. Don't leave anything of value visible (even spare change). My wife's car (many years ago) got broken into. It was an older Geo Metro and the only thing visible of value was some spare change and a cassette tape... and they left the tape. Just sayin'
I know they dug around to try to find other stuff, but it was probably the spare change that made them think they would at least get away with 80 cents if nothing else was there.

XD40SC
12-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Can you see the cable looped around the steering wheel? I think that is just too inviting for a curious criminal. They know that if they quickly go get cable cutters they could get something of real value... maybe even a gun!

When you are not in the car, hiding is first priority, then locked up. Don't leave anything of value visible (even spare change). My wife's car (many years ago) got broken into. It was an older Geo Metro and the only thing visible of value was some spare change and a cassette tape... and they left the tape. Just sayin'
I know they dug around to try to find other stuff, but it was probably the spare change that made them think they would at least get away with 80 cents if nothing else was there.

Good point. We here on the board sometimes forget we're dealing with bottom feeders when it comes to trying to keep our stuff ours. They'll take anything they think they deserve (which is everything) and hiding it from them is the first (thin) line of defense. As they say, arguing (thinking like) with idiots is pointless, they'll beat you with experience every time! In other words, we can do all we think that is necessary to keep them out, but if they want it bad enough, they'll get it.

JLeephoto
12-13-2012, 05:23 PM
I have this one in my Tacoma pick-up console and it's heavy duty and solid. Nothing's foolproof, but it give me a degree of confidence that I'm doing my due diligence in keeping the scum out. Fits my my Kahr PM9 and G19. http://www.consolevault.com/toyota-sequoia-floor-console-cover-2001-2007.html

Alfonse
12-13-2012, 07:08 PM
I have one under the rear seat in my truck. If I am going to the doctor's office or something, I'll lock it in there rather than the glove box. The places I'm parking are pretty much safe, with people coming and going all the time. Otherwise, the pistol is on me.

They wouldn't stop much. I think I could probably yank the cable through the lock if I really tried, but it would slow down the smash a window and grab types.

I can lock my pistol in this and know it is enough to keep kids or passengers away from the pistol.

I wouldn't consider it a "gun safe." I would have to weld something up in 1/4 inch plate to have something I would consider a safe. That would have to be tamper proof bolted to frame to help, in a way that a sawzall wouldn't touch it.

JLeephoto
12-13-2012, 09:44 PM
In this state (NC), it seems like all the places where concealed carry is outlawed, are the places you really don't want to leave anything of value in a vehicle. Today, I stopped at both the post office, and the DMV, neither of which were in very good areas of town. Hated to have to disarm, but glad that my Kahr was protected from a smash and grab.