PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up my cw9

MAG176
12-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Hello,
Not really sure what happened. It's my EDC and has been flawless thru 800 rounds. It's also been very accurate.
So I go to the range to practice at the long line. I'm having a good day with both my wad and hardball pistol. I set the targets at 50 feet for my cw9. Shoot one mag and have not hit the target. Huh. Move up to 25 feet, shoot a mag full and still have not hit the paper. At 8 feet I'm starting to hit the paper. Seven o'clock about eight inches low.

Now this is from a pistol that before I field stripped and cleaned it would put 7 shots inside the 8 ring at 50 feet as fast as I can pull the trigger.
I stripped it twice at the range and I don't get it. Any idea what I did to mess it up?
Thanks, Mark

PYROhafe
12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Not trying to be mean, but.... I REALLY don't think its the gun... If you were shooting other guns that day, you might need to focus a little more on the kahr trigger again. Its a loooong trigger pull, quite different from other guns. I did this to myself at the range once after shooting a glock, (short pull, short reset) and was convinced something was wrong with my cm9 until I calmed down, and made myself focus on my shots. Now when I go to the range, I prefer to stick to my Kahrs :D YMMV but hope it helped.

jocko
12-05-2012, 03:50 PM
check ur barrel out, to see if by chance anythig has happened to upset the riflings. How about letting anutter shooter try it at 10 feet.

I assme ur sights have not moved or done nuttin stupid either. I am realy at a loss to say. Sure can't see anywa u did anything wrong either. Any chance, just a bad hair day???

course if I owned that gun, I would have called it a NORMAL range day. Just sayin

MW surveyor
12-05-2012, 04:01 PM
You got me on this one! The only thing that I can think of is to check to see how it is locking up. Is the barrel hood at the breech face high on the slide?

jocko
12-05-2012, 04:08 PM
I thought of that to but if it didn't lock up. he should get light strikes galore

MW surveyor
12-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Who the heck knows? Doesn't have to be too high at the breech face to get 8" low at 8 feet. Well, maybe it does.

Bawanna
12-05-2012, 04:22 PM
If it's still grouping I'd say it's locking up, doesn't mean it's locking up right but it is locking up.
Also eliminates the chance that the muzzle crown was damaged in a drop or something.
Call me stumped on this one for now. Can't think of any assembly good that would ruin the accuracy but still leave the gun running.

MAG176
12-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Got me stumped also. I understand the idea to let someone else shoot it.. Thing is I continued to practice and I still can't figure out how I can shoot 10 shot strings at 50 yards that score in the low to mid 90s and then with the Kahr score a 0 at 8 feet . Just saying. Swear I would be better throwing it. Ha ha!
At this point I will tear it down again and try it again in a few days. If anyone has any other ideas fire away. If I figure it out ill be sure to let you know.
Thanks again,Mark

jocko
12-05-2012, 04:50 PM
I agree, my pont was just to eliminate a BADHAIR DAY. U didn't do anything wrong with the asembly part, so u gotta start eliminating the possables . Get anutter shooter at 15 feet to try it out and see what transpires. If he duplicates, then I would call iahr and run it by Jay to see what he thinks ur next step should be.

Look at ur slide lock pin closely to see if the pin itself could be damaged..

jocko
12-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I agree, my pont was just to eliminate a BADHAIR DAY. U didn't do anything wrong with the asembly part, so u gotta start eliminating the possables . Get anutter shooter at 15 feet to try it out and see what transpires. If he duplicates, then I would call iahr and run it by Jay to see what he thinks ur next step should be.

Look at ur slide lock pin closely to see if the pin itself could be damaged.. as u saying those 10 shot strings at 50 yards are being shot with this kahr?? 50 yards, wow..

MAG176
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding Jocko. Those would be with colt 1911s custom built for bullseye competition. My father holds the old NRA classification of lifetime master. I'm not to bad myself. Still can't hit a piece of paper at 8 feat. Lmao

Mark

jocko
12-05-2012, 05:52 PM
oh my, please don't even put that kahr in the same league as that 1911 custom. No way, u just can't do it at 50 yards.

try this out also, buy a six pack of snap caps and throw them in with 30 good rounds and let someone load ur magazie for u, so u know not whether one, 3 or none of the snap caps are in tthe magazine. then proceed to shoot it like normal and see if u can see yourself doing anything possably wrong.

I can only say from my stand point and I have over 32K out of my PM9. love it to death, just can'thit jack **** with it. damn truth to. I have a tuned G19 that at 7 yards I can group 1" seemingly all day lonbg. With my PM9 at 7 yards, my groups are 3 to 6 inches andnot exactly where I am wanting to hit either. Not so with the G19, they go where I want them to, but I have a tuned G19 and excellent dawson adjustable fiber optic sights and of course a very short strike glock trigger with no nich or staging either. As u know the kahrs have a looooonbg by desing trigger pull so so similar to a double action wheel gun, Just two different trigger groups and now take that 1911 with a single action trigger. no gun compres to that except anutter 1911 IMO.

Now why the bigt chanbge in ur groups, I cannot say, except maybe jsut a badhair day. it happens. I don't see anyway u couldhave done anything to upset the accuracy of the gun. again anutter reason why snap caps might show up sumpin and certainly anutter shooter that u have faith in , can help u out also If he has them all over the target at 10 feet like yours then assume u might have a gun issue.

U need to eliminate the possables before calling kahr, cause their are probably gonna ask u some of the questions that I andother have here.

My PM9 is built for BG competition. Just kiddin.

who better to test out your gun than ur dad, assuming he is still with us today..

MAG176
12-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks Jocko,
I just pulled the cw-9 down again and I cant see anything I might have done wrong. So back together again. I still feel something is wrong but will have a another shooter at the range give it a go. And yes my father is still with us. He just had his hip replaced, he is 85 and you should see the look on the kids faces when he puts those targets up at fifty yards. Can you say PRICELESS!
Thanks again, Mark

jocko
12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
hell, let him shoot out the bedroom window, don't need 50 yards. 15 feet will show u want is going on. Neighbors might not like it but fokk um. as 85 he hasn't forgot the shootin techniques, eyesight might be going south but not at 15 feet. if u getmy drift.

I lost my dad at age 83, Two years later we found him:banplease:

MAG176
12-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Hey,
Just pulled it down and put it back together for the third time. the slide rocks a little from side to side when locked up. is this normal?
Thanks, Mark

CJB
12-05-2012, 08:08 PM
This is really very simple.

Its just an easy to do adjustment.

A helper would be good.

Get your normal sight drifting brass punch and medium weight hammer, preferably brass or non-marring.

Decide exactly how much and in what direction the correction should be made.

Now remove the slide, and secure it in a vice. Use leather or thick cardboard as protectors of the finish.

Lay your shooting hand on top of the slide, index finger alongside the slide - on top of the vice jaw.

Conform which way the sight has to move... and how much.

Remember, you only get one good shot at making this adjustment.

Have the helper do the hammering while he steadies your hand on the slide.

Have him smack the bejeezus out of the tip of your index finger with the hammer.

Reassemble the pistol, and see if the correction has made a difference.

MAG176
12-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Hey CJB,
Of all the ideas, that just might be the best. If it isnt any better tomorrow, I just might give it a try. Got a five pound drilling hammer. That should do it.

Mark

MW surveyor
12-05-2012, 09:00 PM
"Just two different trigger groups and now take that 1911 with a single action trigger. no gun compres to that except anutter 1911 IMO."

I can't believe that jocko said something good about a 1911. :)

espresso
12-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Mag176
I had the same thing happen to me shooting my new to me K9 first trip to the range with her.
All the sudden I couldn't hit the target to save my life. Then I noticed the guide rod sticking out my gun when in battery. The end on the recoil spring worked it's way off the end on the guide rod and the barrel must have been some kinda cockeyed while shooting. I crimped down on the end of the recoil spring and have a 150 rounds or so through and all is well.
Don't know if this is your issue but check to see if the recoil spring is staying put on the flange end of the guide rod.

MAG176
12-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Mw surveyer, Jocko is right about 1911 triggers. I have two that were built by the late Mr. Giles of the 45 shop in Florida. My wad gun which is not legal breaks at 2.5 pounds. My hard ball breaks at 3.5. The over used term, " breaks like glass " applies here.

Expresso, Thanks for the tip.I will keep an eye on it.

jocko
12-05-2012, 10:56 PM
"Just two different trigger groups and now take that 1911 with a single action trigger. no gun compres to that except anutter 1911 IMO."

I can't believe that jocko said something good about a 1911. :)

I meant a 1911 9mm, not those slow ass 45's. Just sayin:banplease:

jocko
12-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Hey CJB,
Of all the ideas, that just might be the best. If it isnt any better tomorrow, I just might give it a try. Got a five pound drilling hammer. That should do it.

Mark

nice if u could borrow a sight pusher, No damage to the sight that way... o pusher, then CJB comment is the only way to do it, but kahr sights sometimes are damn near unmoveable..

If u have shot alost 800 runds through it previously and was doing OK, then IMO the sights should be OK. U outta be able to see if the sight itself has actually moved, I seriously doubt it though..

newCW45guy
12-07-2012, 01:24 AM
Mag176
I had the same thing happen to me shooting my new to me K9 first trip to the range with her.
All the sudden I couldn't hit the target to save my life. Then I noticed the guide rod sticking out my gun when in battery. The end on the recoil spring worked it's way off the end on the guide rod and the barrel must have been some kinda cockeyed while shooting. I crimped down on the end of the recoil spring and have a 150 rounds or so through and all is well.
Don't know if this is your issue but check to see if the recoil spring is staying put on the flange end of the guide rod.

That could definately cause the problem. Remember the open or as it appears cut end of the spring should be toward the muzzle.

MAG176
12-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Found out the trouble with my Kahr today. It is the loose nut behind the trigger. As much as I hate to believe it. Had a gentleman at the range shoot my pistol. Slow fire, 20 yards. First shot thru the X. Next 6 thru the 10 ring. His only comment was long but smooth trigger. Said I had to work on trigger control. You think!

jocko
12-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I would say there is alot of loose uts behind kahr trigger. I guess proof is in the puddin also. Least u now have a goal ..

jlottmc
12-10-2012, 06:28 AM
I think you guys missed where the wise CJB said to smack with the hammer. Glad it worked out for you though.

"Remember, you only get one good shot at making this adjustment.

Have the helper do the hammering while he steadies your hand on the slide.

Have him smack the bejeezus out of the tip of your index finger with the hammer.

Reassemble the pistol, and see if the correction has made a difference."

MW surveyor
12-10-2012, 08:47 AM
jlottmc - Do you really think that some people actually read the posts as they were intended?

flhshvlhed
12-13-2012, 05:52 AM
Not trying to be mean, but.... I REALLY don't think its the gun... If you were shooting other guns that day, you might need to focus a little more on the kahr trigger again. Its a loooong trigger pull, quite different from other guns. ....YMMV but hope it helped.

PYRO posted that as the 1st response. It's interesting how some things that appear to be complicated, are cured by the simplest means.

richholland
01-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Found out the trouble with my Kahr today. It is the loose nut behind the trigger. As much as I hate to believe it. Had a gentleman at the range shoot my pistol. Slow fire, 20 yards. First shot thru the X. Next 6 thru the 10 ring. His only comment was long but smooth trigger. Said I had to work on trigger control. You think!

I'm glad to hear you found the problem!

Nothing is worse than having a problem with a gun and not knowing what it is.

Glad your mystery is solved. I hope you fix that loose nut :D