PDA

View Full Version : Hello, New to Kahr w/ the CW45

Dixiedog
12-14-2012, 03:19 PM
This gun won my personal "fit" contest over the S&W/Springfield 45 compacts. This is my first Polymer gun. Until now I have not been familiar at all with Kahr handguns but love this gun (so far). It is very, very accurate even at ranges far exceeding its purpose using the handloaded XTP's I have. The Grip on this gun makes it very shootable (after the 100 rds. yesterday I could have shot another 100 except for it getting dark) I'm sure the following issues will solved and reliability as a daily concealed carry will never be doubted.

Ryan Grizzle: "City Slicker" and 2 of his "tuckable" single mag pouches all with leather loops on the way.

So far I have 150 rds. through the gun. Using both the 6rd. and two 7rd. mags.

50 Hornady FMJ's.

100 Hornady XTP's.

I've had some (1 FMJ/8XTP) failure to fires during the start of my break-in: the gun appears to be in full battery-doesn't fire-slingshot the slide-finish magazine. Has happened off-hand and on a rest.

Bullet that didn't fire will have no dimple on primer, hasn't happened on 1st round (using slide release to load 1st round) no rhime or reason in the number of rounds in magazine, or which magazine, when it happens.

My Gunsmith/Handloader, just so happens to be my neighbor and he is going to shoot the gun over the next few days. We'll see what happens with the XTP's as well as research other bullets to load. I am planning on a 250-300 round minimum "Break-In" and am not all that concerned about these issues until that number. After that I'll 100% change bullet type or bullet brand if issues continue. I am also going to try some of the Hornady "Critical Defense" since they are getting such good reviews.

Even though the Critical Defense Bullets seem to have an advantage over the XTP's in reviews/testing/etc..., I would like to carry the bullets/loads I have practiced heavily with, just a personal preference. If that means I change bullet brand then I will. I have always been a huge fan of hornady in my hunting rifles and carry guns.

Any input on other bullet brands for this gun will be gladly welcomed!

Concealed carry guns up to now have been:
1) For a very short time a compact S&W in 9mm.
2) Springfield 1911 Ultra-Compact/Ported .45 (carried it for most of my adult life (I'm 34 started carrying at either 18 or 21-whichever is legal age), recently sold it because the stainless just got too heavy with so many other options available)
3) Charter Arms Bull Dog Pug .44Spl. also ported. This gun is one of the older ones-finish is terrible/loose as a goose-but I love it about as much as you can love a gun! I've carried and shot this gun a ton, has never given me any problems and I would never doubt mine or my families safety while using it.

JFootin
12-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Welcome to the forum! :) There is a wealth of valuable information in the New Member Area (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56) and the Kahr-Tech (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27) sections of the forum.

Probable cause of the failure to fires is junk in the striker channel. Sometimes they come from the factory with junk in there. Use non-chlorinated brake cleaner through the cleanout hole on the slide near the breach. Or follow the instructions linked above to detail strip the slide and make sure the striker channel is clean. And don't put any lube in there; it'll just attract dirt.

Good luck with that sweet shooter! :)

yqtszhj
12-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Probable cause of the failure to fires is junk in the striker channel. Sometimes they come from the factory with junk in there. Use non-chlorinated brake cleaner through the cleanout hole on the slide near the breach. Or follow the instructions linked above to detail strip the slide and make sure the striker channel is clean. And don't put any lube in there; it'll just attract dirt.

Yep, what JFootin said.

Welcome to the forum. I have the CW45 and after breakin I haven't had a single problem with it. And you're right, it shoots really well for such a small gun.

Happy shooting and let us know if you have any problems or questions.

Geobob
12-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Hello, DixieDog, and welcome from Missouri to what looks to be a really great forum. FYI, found out you need to post about 35 times before you can do a signature line, add an avatar, or share pics.
-----------------------------------
Geologist Bob
US Navy P-3 Pilot, Army Guard Huey & Blackhawk Pilot (ret.)

Dixiedog
12-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the advice on site and the gun.

I'll download the instructions for the detailed cleaning. Since it is new I'll use the detailed slide strip, and keep the brake cleaner as a backup for the future if I ever need it at the range.

Hopefully going to shoot some today.