PDA

View Full Version : Lyman dies for cast lead?

BucketBack
12-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Dardas says you must use Lyman 2 stage dies for lead, and not flare or crimp the cases.

Is this correct?

MW surveyor
12-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Dardas says you must use Lyman 2 stage dies for lead, and not flare or crimp the cases.

Is this correct?

"You MUST use the correct technique for preparing the case mouths to receive cast bullets without damaging them. And that is with the use of the Lyman 2 Step M Expander Die. This die imparts a 2 step I.D. into the case mouth. It creates a slip fit nest for the bullet to slide into. Thus preventing and eliminating the tipping of the bullet and the premature closure of the case mouth onto the bullet during the seating operation. Lyman dies are the only dies manufactured that will reload cast bullets and jacketed bullets interchangeably and correctly. And this is due to the 2 Step M die that is incorporated into their die sets"

First off, you have to expand the case after resizing to get the bullet into the case! The Lyman M die is a good die but untold millions of cast bullets have been successfully loaded using other dies (Lee, Hornady, etc.). I use Lee dies with my lead bullets and expand just enough to get the bullet into the case without shaving lead. This is somewhat tricky at first but you'll get it eventually. The hardest thing is to make sure the bullet is going into the case squarely. If it is not square, you will probably shave some lead. I probably get one or two out of 100 or so that I've shaved lead when I'm in mind detached mode.

Second thing, you will more than likely have to taper crimp the semi auto bullets and roll crimp the revolver bullets. If you are using the four die set of the Lee dies, you can remove the sizing ring if the taper/roll crimp die is reducing the size of your lead bullets. The only way to tell is to make up a dummy round (no powder or primer) then pull it apart and measure the area of the bullet where it was seated in the case. If it is compressing the lead, then remove the sizing ring.

Hope this helps.

BucketBack
12-30-2012, 06:20 PM
I have the Lee carbide 4 die set in 9mm .

MW surveyor
12-30-2012, 08:44 PM
You'll be ok with the Lee dies.

Just take your time with the first couple of 100 rounds till you get the feel of them.

Bongo Boy
01-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Everyone that makes dies makes all the dies needed to successfully load both cast and jacketed bullets. You DO have to expand the case mouth after sizing in order to get the bullet started so that, on seating, you don't shave the edge of the bullet, etc. You DO have to ensure the bullet enters the seating die squarely enough so it doesn't get cocked sideways, and a slight mouth expansion gives you the snug, secure fit needed to help ensure it stays square as it runs up into the seater.

Dardas is providing an example of the dies they may feel work well or even that they feel work better than any other design. I've not heard of the 2 step expander die before now, but have loaded about 5 trillion* lead bullets without trouble, using a variety of dies none of which are Lyman.

I've also cocked about a hundred sideways in the die and crushed a few cases. Not a crisis--these errors have almost always come from trying to live on the ragged edge of minimum mouth expansion--don't expand enough and these errors will happen.

Use any dies you want, you'll do just fine.

*Okay, closer to 20,000, but you get my point

BucketBack
01-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Being fairly good in math, I knew the case had to be bigger than the bullet for the bullet to fit.

It's sounds like bullet pullers are going to come in handy, along with extra bullets.

BucketBack
02-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Bumping to the top for my convenience

I found a place to get 2500 124 gr RN 14-16 Brinnel for $138.50 shipped, sized and lubed to specs with an 8 week wait.

Precision Delta might get the boot.

$47.50 cheaper for 500 more boolits

MW surveyor
02-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Whoa! That's only $0.0554 per bullet! Pretty good deal. With the cost at primers about $0.004, you're looking at less than $0.11 per round or $11.00/100.

BucketBack
02-17-2013, 04:52 PM
$0.36 for primers
$0.14 for powder
$0.58 for lead

rounded up for tax

or .34 for primer
.125 for powder
.545 for lead

The G19 slugs out at .3553", CW9 at .3555, I'll get a hold of him tomorrow in Arizona and I'll post what I find out. That is after I get my order in;)

MW surveyor
02-17-2013, 05:07 PM
OK, 10.8 cents per round.

BucketBack
07-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Well I finally tried some 125 gr LRN, with the same flare as for the JHP,s.I used 7.7 gr of Blue Dot.

They kicked hard and didn't print worth crud.

I'll reduce the flare next time and try some Universal. I loaded up 500 124 gr JHP's from Everglades with 4.3 gr's of 231. It's a soft shooting accurate load from both the G19 and CW9.

I have 450 loaded left for SHTF

I "Found" 200 mixed 223/556 brass in my mailbox yesterday that needs decapping , reaming and tumbling. With the 90 degree weather, it's a good day to spend in the barn with the AC on working with gun stuff.

ETA, I just re-read all the posts, which reminds me to pull my 2 dummy lead rounds and measure the bullet base.;)

BucketBack
07-26-2014, 05:25 PM
I broke down and got some Lyman M dies for 357 and 9mm .
Now to find that post on removing lead.