PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr owner in Ohio

Steve0
12-30-2012, 07:56 PM
I spent a few months researching the C series handguns. After work Friday I went to my LGS and picked up my CW9. I put 100 rounds through it yesterday with not one issue. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the mag base plate and knew when I bought it that a lot of people complain about their mags. Ill work on that issue when I have time and then it will be perfect. I'm also using a single clip leather IWB and planning to replace it with a MiniTuck or something with similar design. Any suggestions are appreciated!:)

Booker T
12-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Hey SteveO, welcome to the kahr family. Sounds like your relationship with your new CW9 has gotten off to a good start, Congrats.

Many people on this forum and others are fond of the PJ holsters. They run about $50. I'm checking in to those for my CM9 and CW45 as well.

Geobob
12-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Hello, Steve, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum. Good people and info here!

I found a gent that makes IWB kydex/leather holsters, form fitted for your handgun, for $45 shipped ($35 if you pick it up). He created this holster in "Crossbreed style" because he didn't want to pay $80 for one. I watched him make mine since I live relatively close. He does excellent work with great attention to detail, and guarantees his work. He sands the leather and kydex edges, and emory cloths the belt clip edges so they don't scrape your belt. He form fits the kydex to your pistol and tweeks it with a heat gun to insure a perfect fit. I've worn the holster alone and also with the mag holder I got all day at work two days in a row, and it is very comfortable. Weapon draws and replaces smoothly. If interested, check out this IWB holster source and see if he has the CW9 model to make a holster if you're interested in this type holster:

Dustin Osborn
Ozark Holster Co.
417-840-7385
dosborn81@yahoo.com

Here is a picture of the holster (and a separate mag holder) that he made for my 709 Slim, which is the same size as my C9:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q603/rmlann/OsbornIWB_709_MagHolder-small.jpg

And, best wishes for a safe, prosperous New Year to you and yours.

wyntrout
12-31-2012, 02:08 AM
You can swap to a metal base plate and cut a bit of bulk off the bottom... easier to CC. You might want to use an O-ring to stop pinches, though. I needed the O-ring on my P40 and put one on my P9 without testing for pinch.
http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6841&d=1352433464http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6877&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1352949166

Link to above:
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15646&highlight=9mm+barrels

From another post: For my hands, the K/P-sized grip seems perfect. The K is too heavy, but the P40 and P9 are just right. I changed my carry mags to metal base plates and then to the black ones for carry. The K/P-sized grips with a flush-fitting metal base plate don't seem as hard to CC as the polymer ones that protrude about a quarter inch more. I did have to put an O-ring on the P models, though, to stop pinching... especially on the .40. I used a neoprene 3/32" thick by 3/4" inner diameter O-ring.
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/P40%20firing%20165%20Grain%20Blazers/FatO-ringsmiddlebrokenfollower_2117.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/P40%20firing%20165%20Grain%20Blazers/O-rings_2119.jpg

When you search for the bases, be sure and look for the "Kits" and save a few bucks over the separate pieces... base and locking plate. SS or Black is available for the 9mm/.40 S&W mags now.

Wynn:)

Steve0
12-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the contact infor Bob, I'll keep that in mind. Wynn, I saw your pictures while I was researching the whole base plate thing on here. I was really hoping to find someone that could do truely flush like the one member did on his .45 with the 1911 mags. This might have to do for now, much better than the one that came on the CW. Especially with the black plate and the o-ring it looks much better.

Flincher
12-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Welcome from North Dakota from another new guy.

ESAFO
01-01-2013, 08:14 AM
welcome aboard fellow BUCKEYE.

muggsy
01-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Focus on your front sight and you'll never notice the magazine. The gun was designed for concealed carry. It isn't supposed to be a show piece. Take it from a fellow Buckeye you're gonna love your CM9.

Mdcoa
01-01-2016, 08:01 PM
Greetings , kahr talkers. I just got a used k9, and its stinking incredible. It is the easiest to shoot compact/subcompact I've ever shot--last night i was shooting controlled pairs with it faster than with my Sig P226 (DAK trigger, which is surprisingly similar to the kahr trigger).

At any rate, thought I light resurrect this thread since the magazine protrusion makes me freaking crazy.

My Springfield Xd-s 9mm magazines, also 7 rounds, are at least 1/4" shorter. Why on earth did Kahr make these protrude (it looks kind of junkyard and makes the pistol unnecessarily more difficult to conceal) and is there a fix?

I love 1911-style mags, flush with the bottom of the frame and with a bottom plate that is flush with the sides of the magazine, which makes occasional pocket carry of a spare mag much easier than a baseplate with flanges.

Would love to go that route, even if it meant getting the front of the grip frame relieved, provided I could find a donor mag of the right dimensions.

Anyone know of a 9mm 1911-style mag or anything else (kel tec pf-9, ruger, etc) that could be modified to work with the kahr follower and yet sit flush at the bottom?

Alternatively, anyone have a good way to shorten the stock mags? I suppose if I were willing to give up disassemble-ability I could just have someone cut it down and tack weld a 1911esque floor plate on it, but Isnthere a more elegant way?

Thanks in advance. I'm totally I love with this pistol and am hoping to address the only thing about it that makes me go "meh."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk