PDA

View Full Version : New to me used CW40 range report

thrown_hammer
01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
I picked this up last week. No idea how many rounds are through it. I will attach a pic of the recoil rod and maybe someone here can give an estimate...

I put 100 rounds of Winchester white box fmj down range with zero issues, I also shot two mags each of various jhp to test function. The only failure was one round of Winchester white box jhp, and it was a ftf. It fed silvertips, and corbon +p with no problems. Not used to the trigger and consistently shot low left, but a friend shot dead center and groups were about 2-3" at 25 feet.

Edit for pics:
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s629/Thrown_hammer/Outdoors/tempjpg_zpsbd191616.jpg

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s629/Thrown_hammer/Outdoors/IMG_20130101_154829_zps57a360ab.jpg

jocko
01-01-2013, 02:50 PM
who cares how many rounds have been thorugh it.Therecoil rod is no indication of anything.U can't shoot out a kahr, I knowI have 32Kout of my PM9 andI can assure u u canot tell itf it has 100 or5000rounds thorugh it, letalone over 32K. Jsut shoot the gun and enjoy it. At best I would order a new recoil spring for the cw40 and start right and if the recoil rod looks worn, buy it at the same time.

see the kahr lube chart and live by it, it is the best.
the propper preppng thread willgive u somethigs to check out tomake sure all is well..

thrown_hammer
01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Don't really care, just curious. Really trying to determine if it was past the break in more than anything. Shot like a dream.

Currently cleaned and lubed per chart, and sporting some corbon +P. So far impressed with this gun.

jocko
01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
No harm, no foul. I think I would still order 3 new recoil springs and have um around. Kahr is ur only source. More than likley the breakit is done..

Short Bus
01-01-2013, 04:27 PM
No harm, no foul. I think I would still order 3 new recoil springs and have um around. Kahr is ur only source. More than likley the breakit is done..
Wolff has em + reduced or extra power and they have reduced power striker springs

jocko
01-01-2013, 04:44 PM
not for the cw series yet.

the 5#striker spring that they offer drops in every kahr except the P380. I have aksed (worte) wolffes numberous times about when they will introduce the recoil springs for the cdw series and I get the same answer. "Wereworkingon it".

Short Bus
01-01-2013, 05:13 PM
From what I've heard the Wolff K9 recoil springs work for the P9 (I'll know soon :D) so they should also work for the CW.

jocko
01-01-2013, 05:26 PM
might be but they don't show it as a spring for the cw. U couldprobalby count the coils and shorten it

Short Bus
01-01-2013, 05:59 PM
From what I hear it's a drop in.

jocko
01-01-2013, 07:12 PM
anything is possable. my point would be, if that spring was correct for the cw kahrs why would wolff's not want to toot their horn and offer it on their site.

A recoil spring is what brings about perfect timing in ANY gun. For me who seems to error on the side of cuation, if wolffs offers such a spring, I owulds buy it form them, if they did not, I woluld then go backto the gun maker and buy their springs that they offer for that exact model. Just sayin.

certainly not trying to argue with you either, its your gun and ur choice. I don't think ur gonna \break anything buy trying it either. IMO as long as the spring rides over the recoil tube and fits in the gun, ur halfway home with success..

newCW45guy
01-01-2013, 10:53 PM

the 5#striker spring that they offer drops in every kahr except the P380. I have aksed (worte) wolffes numberous times about when they will introduce the recoil springs for the cdw series and I get the same answer. "Wereworkingon it".

Since the CW is a clipped spring perhaps it's just a matter of ordering the longer barrel version and clipping at the same number of coils?

Really I wish it wasn't a clipped spring so it couldn't be inserted backwards.

Short Bus
01-02-2013, 03:29 AM
I have aksed (worte) wolffes numberous times about when they will introduce the recoil springs for the cdw series and I get the same answer. "Wereworkingon it".

Somehow I missed this part of your post, but I've also asked here and members are running the K9 spring without problems. I don't mean to argue either, but I would say it's more of a friendly debate. Everyone's tolerance for risk is different and after some research it's a risk I'll take. BTW maybe someone should call Kahr and see if they use the same springs.

Since the CW is a clipped spring perhaps it's just a matter of ordering the longer barrel version and clipping at the same number of coils?

Really I wish it wasn't a clipped spring so it couldn't be inserted backwards.
I don't think you'll need to cut any coils.

Here's a couple threads that talk about this

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14310

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14911

jocko
01-02-2013, 05:02 AM
Its not always length that dictates the correct spring. coil diamters can certainly be different. temperment also. I have no doubt the P series spring will work, if thatis what one feel good about or the K series spring. Unless one is wanting to get the higher pounjdage spring like the K series is offered on the wolffs gunsprings, I would merely recommend staying with the factory springs.

With poundage differenceslisted for the K sweries, it is evidkent that a coil here and there more or less is not gonna make ahill of beans difference either.

Wolffs lists thousands of recoil springs amd probalby most are pretty close in size to. If it was as simple as we want to make it, I would think they would just make a half dozen or so in long lengths and just insert a spread sheet listing ur model gun and then telling u to count the coils and then cut and ur good to go. Not really sure it is as simple as we want to think it is.

Course to stand corrected also. back when the lcp was first introduced I was one of the first to say you could use the kel tek recoil springs that wolffs lists for the kel tek 380 in the lcp and have zero problems, as they offered them in different poundages over the 9# Ruger lcp standard factroy springs. Many then back then debated that but every person who tried um siad they worked fine . Now Wolffs offers lcp springs in different poundages separte from the kel tek springs. Aret they the same exact sprngs now??? I have no clue. If I had to bet I would say they are for Ruger just copied the kel tek back then...

We list quite a few mods on this forum, some good, some work for that particular gun,so one has to be his own guide when he acceptss what I or others say will work Ok for them.

sharpetop
01-05-2013, 08:20 PM
From what I've heard the Wolff K9 recoil springs work for the P9 (I'll know soon :D) so they should also work for the CW.

I put the Wolff K9/K40, 22lb. recoil spring in my CW9 and it works just fine!
[Yes, the package says K9 and K40 on it, I just looked to make sure.]

wyntrout
01-05-2013, 08:45 PM

the 5#striker spring that they offer drops in every kahr except the P380. I have aksed (worte) wolffe's numerous times about when they will introduce the recoil springs for the cdw series and I get the same answer. "Wereworkingon it".

They claim ANY Kahr... all the smae size. I put one in my wife's P380, the P9, and one other... works fine. I've received my 10-pack of the same to put them in ALL of my Kahrs when I find that danged round TUIT!! I know that I have a wooden one somewhere! I put the old springs in the baggy that the new ones came in and label it what it is... so I can figure out what's new and what needs changing.

Dang! I was trying to spellcheck YOUR stuff in the quotes!!:rolleyes:

Wynn:D

Short Bus
01-05-2013, 09:26 PM
I put the Wolff K9/K40, 22lb. recoil spring in my CW9 and it works just fine!
[Yes, the package says K9 and K40 on it, I just looked to make sure.]
That's what I have coming, the #22 spring