PDA

View Full Version : Primer rationing at my local reloading shop

MW surveyor
01-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Went by the reloading store yesterday to pick up some more 9 mm bullets. They had two boxes of 500. One was 124 and the other 115 grain. That's it. Was going to also pick up some 230 grain LRN for the 45. NOPE! No have.

Looked at the powder wall. Just about everything gone that you can load pistol rounds with. Probably had less than 15 pounds of powder all told.

NO small pistol or rifle primers at all.

Can only buy 200 Large pistol primers per day and they had darn few boxes of 1,000 primers left.

Last weekend, no shortage of anything. Now I wish that I would have bought some more small pistol primers. Thought I had enough at the time and didn't want to be a hoarder. Next time, I'm gonna be an ahat and buy as much as I can.

muggsy
01-27-2013, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=MW surveyor;214143]Went by the reloading store yesterday to pick up some more 9 mm bullets. They had two boxes of 500. One was 124 and the other 115 grain. That's it. Was going to also pick up some 230 grain LRN for the 45. NOPE! No have.

Looked at the powder wall. Just about everything gone that you can load pistol rounds with. Probably had less than 15 pounds of powder all told.

NO small pistol or rifle primers at all.

Can only buy 200 Large pistol primers per day and they had darn few boxes of 1,000 primers left.

Last weekend, no shortage of anything. Now I wish that I would have bought some more small pistol primers. Thought I had enough at the time and didn't want to be a hoarder. Next time, I'm gonna be an ahat and buy as much as I can.[/QUOTE

200 gr. LSWC was all my lgs had left. I couldn't even find 158 gr LSWC for my sons .38 spcl. I got the last box of 1000 small pistol primers. They assured me that their stock would be replenished by next weekend, but they also said that they would be limiting sales. This panic buying is really screwing things up.

mr surveyor
01-28-2013, 08:21 AM
our group, through a gun shop buddy, made a big order on primers, powders and other assorted items before Christmas. The powders are on back,back order (no rain check,,,wait it out), but the 100k primers are still expected in another 4-6 weeks. I still have 1200-1500 of both small and large pistol primers and 200 large rifle primers (less 10 I test loaded Saturday), so, at the rate I've been reloading and shooting I'm good for several months. Need more Unique and 2400 though.

downtownv
01-28-2013, 09:36 AM
We need to stop the panic.....

MW surveyor
01-28-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm now on the email notification system with the reloading shop. Email last week was that they did get in 50k each of large and small pistol primers plus some rifle primers, weird assortment of powder (stuff I've never used so its probably rifle powder) some FMJ bullets of various kinds, etc.

They are still rationing primers to 200 per day. What kind of p's me off is that their price per 100 primers is priced more per package individually ($3.96) than you would pay if you bought the 1K box of primers ($34.90).

BucketBack
02-01-2013, 06:16 PM
I found a radiator shop that has a 1000 limit on primers per day.

$33.95 for CCI # 500 SPP

They had SPP, SPP magnum,LPP, LPP magnum, LRP, LRP magnum, SRP for $39.95 in Federal Gold Medal Match, and SRP magnum:amflag:

$29.95 for 500 CCI Standard Velocity 22 lr, 1 brick limit.

Bawanna
02-01-2013, 07:42 PM
That's a damn fair price too. Not scalping a bit.

About what I saw here prior to the panic when there were any to be found.

There's a guy at our gun show that has nothing but bullets, cases and primers, I didn't go last month due to the panic but I'm anxious to see what if anything he has left.

I found a stash of CCI small pistols I forgot about, been using Winchester so I'm better off than I thought. Not fat, well I am that too but I'm ok for a while anyhow.

mr surveyor
02-01-2013, 08:23 PM
"Radiator shop" .... I like that one..... will use that in the future:)

BucketBack
02-01-2013, 08:47 PM
The gun shop part is about 6' x 12', with powder under benches, dies in the other room

The line was out the door practically. The waiting room to get served for either gun stuff or radiators is about the same as the gun room

Soldering radiators and gunpowder along with a FFL, what a combo.

mr surveyor
02-06-2013, 04:46 PM
woooohooooo.... talked to my gun shop buddy this afternoon .... our order for 100k primers came in. Still no powder delivered. And the bullet casters are now waaayyyy behind on orders.

At this stage of the game, I'll probably spend some of my powder and bullet money on extra primers that I may be able to use as trade fodder for boolits and powder. What a way to run a reloading habit....uuhhh, hobby.

EDIT: I previously stated above "Even Hornady announced no more of their bullets will be available for reloaders...at least for a while." A little more searching proved this to be just another bogus internet myth, and I don't want to be guilty of perpetuating it. But, I did read it on the internet :rolleyes:

MW surveyor
02-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Dang, I was hoping that you'd got your S&B primers so you could tell us how they worked out.

Went by the reload shop today to pick up a daily allotment of primers (200 for pistol). They are now selling S&B small pistol primers for $3.09 per 100. That's all they had in SPPs, they still have some CCI LPPs. I kind of alternate between keeping up stock in both SPPs and LPPs.

Only lead bullets in the place were a few 40s, and some 45 LCs.

Powder situation remains bleak but they are still getting some in from time to time. Mostly stuff for rifle.
No reloading presses left in the shop!!!!! Dies are dwindling down to only some exotic stuff.

mr surveyor
02-06-2013, 05:03 PM
well, the 100k that came in were a mix of lpp, spp and I believe a few lrp, Absolutely no srp's available, which a bunch of our "group" uses. The whole order was the S&B's, so when I have a chance to run out to the shop and pick up a few thousand, I'll load up a few test rounds and give 'em a try. Never had any issues with the S&B factory ammo, so I'm hoping the primers won't be an issue.

MW surveyor
02-06-2013, 05:19 PM
I've never had any problems with the S&B ammo either. Since they are made in the Czech Republic maybe I ought to just fire them in my CZ :)

No srp's at the reload shop here either. Luckily, I don't reload for rifle (don't have a center fire rifle any more is the only reason).

AIRret
02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Let us know how things work out.
We were in Northern MI during the last 12 days and in the outlying areas we were able to pick up a limited (500) small pistol primers (cci) and 2,000 large pistol primers (winchester). Plus we scored a total of 5lbs of powder.
Head to the less traveled areas of your States and you just might get lucky. Heck, they even had a fair selection of AR's and handguns.

mr surveyor
02-06-2013, 08:15 PM
just to make it right... I edited my post (#10 above) to clear up a little issue I want no part of. I hate algore's internet superhighway myths.

mr surveyor
02-08-2013, 03:24 PM
I picked up a couple thousand more pistol primers today. The big "bulk order" that came in (the S&B stuff) was all Large pistol and large rifle. I bought 1k of S&B large pistol for $32.50 and paid a premium of $40 for 1k of Win Small Pistol (they came in a seperate small order). Glad to get them. We'll have S&B lpp's available for quite some time at the shop:)

If I get a chance over the weekend I'll load up some .44 mag and .45 acp with the S&B primers and let y'all know how they work.

BucketBack
02-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Let us know how things work out.
We were in Northern MI during the last 12 days and in the outlying areas we were able to pick up a limited (500) small pistol primers (cci) and 2,000 large pistol primers (winchester). Plus we scored a total of 5lbs of powder.
Head to the less traveled areas of your States and you just might get lucky. Heck, they even had a fair selection of AR's and handguns.

There's a place near Fifth Third Ballpark :amflag:

rhd04
02-22-2013, 03:04 PM
I finally found small pistol primers today at cabelas. All they had was federal and they were over $40.00 a brick! I bought 2 bricks. They didn't have any 9mm heads. Or shotgun or pistol powder. Maybe next time.

MikeyKahr
02-22-2013, 05:11 PM
I found reloading heaven today. Lots of powder of all sorts and sizes, and pistol, rifle and shot primers too. Even some dies, but none for 9, 40 or 45. Two presses too. Cases for every caliber even, pricey though. First of 22 that i have seen since November. But it was gone in 5 minutes. If only I reloaded!! :screwy: