PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! 1911 must have

FLBri
01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
I have my LGS in possession of a used Sig 1911 target. It looks in great condition, feels tight and smooth. It has a fair amount of surface scratches as if it was carried but no signs of abuse at all.

I've been wanting to take the journey in 1911 land for a long time. The deal is my P380 with "Fist" pocket holster and $300.

Is this my ticket into 45 ACP?

Though far from new to firearms, I am green and very new to full size 1911's. I appreciate the design and history and that's why I want one.

Any comments about the deal are appreciated.

Thank you

Bawanna
01-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Well on gunbroker the Sig 1911 Target goes for around 900 to 1000 bucks at least right now.

I didn't look at used price for a 380. Buy do the math on your investment there and determine where your at.

I've never played with the Sigs, it looks nice.

I don't have much use for 380 so I'd be swapping if the numbers are close.

knkali
01-20-2013, 06:22 PM
I am going to say something that will rattle some cages here but............... Sig makes some great stuff but I would not buy a Sig 1911 when I can get an American made, American company, for an American designed 1911. Just me and I am fuked up I know. Its America's gun and should come from the myriad of U.S companies. I am not saying that Sig 1911s are bad at all. It's like buying a yamaha V twin motorcycle and calling it a Harley.
The 1911 is an experience. Make the first experience the best it can be.

yqtszhj
01-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Well I'll throw in my opinion. I love my full size 1911 and recently bought a compact officers size model. After shooting kahr like triggers and then shooting my 1911, you cant beat the trigger on the 1911. It's just sweet. There are others on this forum that are much more experienced than me on this topic. Bawanna for one. I'll ask a few questions.

Do you want to keep the P380?
What's your budget?
Do you shoot a lot and do you reload?

As far as American made 1911's, which ones are completely made in the US? I can think of Kimber, Colt, Ruger, who else? Auto-Ordnance? I'll admit that they are really nice. Springfields are made off shore I believe.

I went another route. I wanted to know what I could get that runs right out of the box every time for the best price. I bought my Rock Island 1911 (Made in the Philippines by Armscor) and about 1500 rounds of .45 ammo. I have shot all 1500 and have never had even one gun related problem.

I was looking at a Kimber compact a few weeks ago and had my eye on what I wanted and I was going to have to order it online. Then I went into a local store and they had a Citadel 1911 compact (made by Armscor again.) The finish was nice, it came with 2 mags, and the price is right. I left the store with it. Then I came home and ordered another 1000 rounds of range ammo. So for the cost of the Kimber I got a new gun and 1000 rounds of brass cased ammo.

I put the first 100 rounds through the new one a few days ago and with the first magazine I was able to hit 20 oz. coke bottles at 25 yards. One accurate little gun and reasonably priced. Trigger is sweet and not one single failure. I'm happy. I may carry the compact. I'll shoot it like I'll stole it and if it needs refinished later no big deal. I bought it to shoot it.

Justify your cost and what you plan to do with it, what guns you want to keep, and get yourself a boat load of ammo to enjoy it. Oh by the way, if you get one, you'll get another one later. Nobody can have just one.

My only advice, get one that gets rave reviews and go enjoy it.

DeaconKC
01-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Ok, first off Sig's quality is second to none. You will get spoiled by the trigger on a good 1911. There are many good builders out there, but magazines are another story. GOOD magazines are necessary for a 1911 to run right. Kimber Pro, factory Colt, Wilson, Mec Gar, and Mc Cormick are all good reliable mags.

FLBri
01-21-2013, 06:51 AM
Do you want to keep the P380?
What's your budget?
Do you shoot a lot and do you reload?

No, I'm going to sell the P380 either way

Budget is less important than value, to me. I don't mind spending more if the handgun is worth more. The Sig felt pretty good in my hand .... better than a brand new Springfield that was also in the case, actually.

I shoot a couple times a month ... not alot ... and my focus in more on defense than 'hobby'. But I DO appreciate the history of the 1911.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'm still undecided, but I may put my P380 up for sale here, and that keeps all my options open. We'll see.

KKing
01-21-2013, 07:26 AM
The only downside I can see, if you can call it that, is you concealing a full size 1911 vs. the 380. Sig is not my personal favorite, but they make damn good guns for sure. Has the shops gunsmith given it a once over? I'm sure they have, but it never hurts to ask. I'm a huge 1911 fan, even though i don't own a "high end" one, I do own a RIA and a Remington. I can tell you this, if you get into 1911's, you probably won't get out lol

FLBri
01-21-2013, 11:59 AM
The only downside I can see, if you can call it that, is you concealing a full size 1911 vs. the 380. Sig is not my personal favorite, but they make damn good guns for sure. Has the shops gunsmith given it a once over? I'm sure they have, but it never hurts to ask. I'm a huge 1911 fan, even though i don't own a "high end" one, I do own a RIA and a Remington. I can tell you this, if you get into 1911's, you probably won't get out lol

No, that's not it. I'm selling the P380 because I have and prefer other options (including the idea of "no .380").

Adding the 1911 is just because IT"S ABOUT TIME!

Now that I see the price of new Sig 1911 as well as others, I think I am going to pass on the LGS item and look at a new Sig or even the Ruger has my interest. I love Ruger as a company.

O'Dell
01-21-2013, 01:41 PM
I've had two SIG 1911's and I would rank them the top two 1911's I've ever owned. That includes Colts, SA's, S&W's, Armscor, Detonics, STI, and Kimber. BTW, I think all SIG 1911's are US made.

FLBri
01-21-2013, 04:57 PM
I've had two SIG 1911's and I would rank them the top two 1911's I've ever owned. That includes Colts, SA's, S&W's, Armscor, Detonics, STI, and Kimber. BTW, I think all SIG 1911's are US made.

Yes, I was told that the Sig 1911's ARE US made, also.

BTW, I got to fondle a Kimber 1911 today. Wow ... talk about nice fit and finish tolerances!

yqtszhj
01-21-2013, 05:09 PM
No, I'm going to sell the P380 either way

Budget is less important than value, to me. I don't mind spending more if the handgun is worth more. The Sig felt pretty good in my hand .... better than a brand new Springfield that was also in the case, actually.

I shoot a couple times a month ... not alot ... and my focus in more on defense than 'hobby'. But I DO appreciate the history of the 1911.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'm still undecided, but I may put my P380 up for sale here, and that keeps all my options open. We'll see.

Go for it then and get the best one you can find. :)

yqtszhj
01-21-2013, 05:10 PM

I guess I know what my next one would be then. I was looking at one when I got my last one.

Bawanna
01-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Bearing in mind a tiny little bit of thread drift. When I was at Cabelas today I saw a Browning 1911, the 3/4 size 22 model that I believe Greg had a version of. As usual there there were 40 people looking and 3 guys doing nothing behind the counter so I didn't get to hold it but I was a bit in love.

Also a Remington R1 and an R1 enhanced. I looked around some other areas and went back for another gander at the Browning figuring if Greg had one I should have one too. Makes perfect sense right?

Well some low down scum sucking varmint run off with it. Wasn't out of my sight 10 minutes.

Gotta be wicked quick these days.

CJB
01-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Whatever 1911 you end up with... two things to consider.

One, the barrel. Barrel fit is paramount in the 1911 design. A tight slight will help things, but a tight barrel will shoot well, and last. A loose barrel will shoot loose and not last. In the latter case, the top engaging lugs are prone to being rounded and rolled over. In my experience, and since the days when a 1911 was just called "A Forty-Five"... the Springfield barrels are soft and not the best fit. Colt equally so. After that, no telling, and even with Springfield and Colt... I cannot say in terms of today's manufacturing.

At any rate, barrels can be had. The best, imho, is the Bar-Sto. I knew Irv Stone, briefly talked to his son a few times. This was back in the 1980's, when the fist Officer's and 10mm barrels were just being released. I had had the first 10mm let out of Bar-Sto that was not custom made for Colt Firearms. I also had one of the first, if not the first, Officer's barrel in the same circumstance. Bar-Sto is good, and both of my guns beat the Colt (who was pretty much the only game in town) to see the light of day.

The second thing, is the trigger. The trigger on a 1911 is thing of wonder. You really must have a hard sear, and EGW makes the best and hardest and longest lasting sear. They also make a good round top disconnector, which is a must for smooth triggers. As for the hammer... I've used some rather no-name ones from Brownell's and had good results when using the EGW sear. Hammers must also be hard, but most of them are. I've had VERY soft, nearly dead soft, Springfield hammers in the past, fwiw.

You can get a low end Springfield, add barrel, do a little trigger work, and you'll have a hell of a 45. I really like their "Range" series... very good sights. The barrel... your call, but be prepared to eventually fit a new one. Triggers are decent, crisp.

In 2010, I built up my last four 1911's, one a .22. I'm done. I have enough, ranging from 192x to 2010, with the odd stainless Colt Govt., and Springfield "Compact" in the mix... as well as a nice stainless Officer's, three Government models, and a Commander.

I like the Kahr's for carry. MUCH lighter. Safer. MUCH smaller.... they're just better carry gun for concealment use.

muggsy
01-21-2013, 07:12 PM
I have a series 70 Colt Gold Cup. It's the last gun that I would ever part with. Nuff said?

KKing
01-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Sooo....You bought it yet? Lol