PDA

View Full Version : MK9 Questions...

jdw8888
01-23-2013, 07:26 PM
I own a CM9 and have had a bit of a love/hate relationship. But am considering changing out for a new conceal carry gun. So that brings me to the MK9. Held one at my local gun shop last weekend and really like how it feels in my hand. So here is the dilemma:

1. My CM9 regularly fails to fire / jambs. Usually with WWB ammo. From what I have read, this seems to be a problem with Kahr pistols, depending on who you listen to. I will get a FTF once every 50 rounds or so. Which is concerning because I carry this gun almost every day, and have for the past year and a half. Does this seem to be the standard or is this unusual?

2. Seems alot of postings here with problems with the MK9. I cannot believe that these are built this badly. I bought my CM9 based solely on Kahr's reputation of excellent engineering. Just looking for comments.

3. Will be accessories (mags, holsters, etc.) from my CM9 work with the MK9? Seems that is the case, but not 100% sure.

Thanks.

Ikeo74
01-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Mags and holsters are interchangable. However, You may encounter the same problems if the problem is caused by the ammo or how you clean and maintain the gun. How many rounds have you shot through the CM9? Maybe you just need to buy better ammo, some with a higher velosity.

jdw8888
01-23-2013, 07:49 PM
I have over 1,000 rounds through my CM9. Almost always use 115 grain Winchester White Box ammo at the range, but always carry 124 grain JHP Federal Premium.

jocko
01-23-2013, 07:51 PM
certainly is not the norm FOR ANY KAHR. failure to fire is not good. Have you taken the slide completely apart to clean out that striker channel and inspect. We have seen crude in this area that effects what ur issue is.It is not a problem with kahr pistols. a FTF once every 50 rounds could also be shooters error. possaable loose grip. If sumpin is mechanicaly wrong witht he gun it should duplicate the issue and not once in 50 rounds.

How about lettng anutter good shooter try the gun out to see if he can dupliate the issues ur having.

Have you visited the kahr tech section and hit on propper prepping of ur kahr there are some tips there to check out and u can do yourslef to enhance the gun alot. Some guns need it to get right, most do not.WWB is good ammo, thati s allI shoot in my kahrs.

Mags and holsters with switch between both guns. the MK is a great gun, we have seen a few with cracked mag wells, which is very rare but again it has happened and kahr just will replace the entire lower and move on. We have seen more with the MK's with busted magazine followers than probably any gun out there but again ur gonna read about it here first but thousands of those guns are out there, so it is again rare. Kahr will address it also if u have an issue. Personaly I would not carry any gun that is doing what ur gun is doing, but I also would have by now been looking as to what is causing it to.

The cracks we have seen in the MK mag well area has never effected reliability. U would not see it with the grips on even, . It is not right, that is for sure . It should have been caught in quality control to but for some it just creeped through the cracks.
there is no standard for an unreliable gun. Kahr would be out of business if this was the norm.

We have some great guys here that I think can make that cm purr for u but you gotta do some home work yourself and u have to eliminate some of the possable things that can cause certain issues. Never say it cannot be the shooter for we know better. In ur case all I am asking is you eliminate the shooter as a posable and then move on to the next thing to eliminate. To send a gun back that FTF once in 50 rounds, kahr is just not gonna catch that. Light strikes are a different thing, but again until you take the slide apart and clean and check, we don't know what else to tell you..

jdw8888
01-23-2013, 08:00 PM
I keep it clean (every 150 rounds or so). Brother in Law (is a NRA CCW instructor) shot it and had the same problems. Had a major problem last weekend FTF and something broke in the frame (wont rack now). It on the way back to Kahr now for repairs.

Ikeo74
01-23-2013, 08:04 PM
I keep it clean (every 150 rounds or so). Brother in Law (is a NRA CCW instructor) shot it and had the same problems. Had a major problem last weekend FTF and something broke in the frame (wont rack now). It on the way back to Kahr now for repairs.
Maybe whatever broke was causing the missfires before it completely broke down.

phil413tx
01-23-2013, 08:05 PM
I have had my mk9 for about a year and a half. It has seen about 700 rounds. I had a couple of stove pipes in the first 200 rounds but it has shot about 15 different types of ammo since then without a single problem. Probably 200 of those last few round were the WWB. It is a very good reliable gun.

jdw8888
01-25-2013, 07:15 PM
OK. You talked me into it! Bought my new MK9 tonight.

kerby9mm
01-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Congrats. I have had mine for going on 2 years. I have a tip for you on reassembly. When you put the slide back on pull it back a little to cock the cam before you insert the slide stop. It makes it real easy to line everything up to put the slide stop in.

phil413tx
01-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Enjoy the heck out of that MK9. Post some range reports and pictures.

jdw8888
02-02-2013, 08:23 PM
One last question. I sold my CM9 tonight since I have the new MK9. I had 7 extra 7 round magazines and sold one wirt the CM9. I see that the 8 round magazine will fir, but how much further past the bottom of the grip does it go? My 7 round magazine is tight to the bottom.

Thanks.

Cyterio
02-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Do you mean the 6rd magazine is tight to the bottom? The 7rd would be the extended magazine on the MK9.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

jdw8888
02-03-2013, 07:24 AM
The 7 round has the finger extension, but the top of the extension is at the bottom of the grip. Will the 8 round have a gap from the bottom of the grip to the top of the finger extension?

Ikeo74
02-03-2013, 07:53 AM
I don't own an 8 round mag, but I think you are right, it's going to have a gap the width of 1 bullet. I don't think having that 1 extra bullet is worth the extra length this mag will give to the grip of the gun. Effects will outweigh the benefits.

jdw8888
02-03-2013, 03:09 PM
That's what I thought. I think I will just stick with the 7 round mags.