View Full Version : Blacked out rear sight

CCcop
03-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Have a new PM45. Anyone running a blacked out rear sight? I was looking into the XS sights but thought I might like a complete blacked out notched rear sight such as the one offered by Novak and run it with the stock front.

Anyone doing this? Pictures and or results would be greatly appreciated. This is for EDC undercover LEO work. I think the best would be the Novak blacked out rear with the XS front. This is kind of a baby step to see if I like the setup.

It would be nice to see the size difference between the stock front dot and the large XS dot side by side.

I appreciate all your help. Please feel free to comment if you run this setup or variant on any pistol. I've learned a lot about these pistols since joining here. Hope to report an upcoming training session with good pics and data.

jeep45238
03-30-2010, 07:19 AM
I run all of my pistols like that. It's very fast to pick up the front sight and can still be used for plenty of precision.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/For%20Sale/Guns/T40/DSCN1218.jpg

getsome
03-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi jeep, how did you do that? I want to do it on a revolver I have...I was thinking of cold blue or perhaps flat black epoxy paint...Oh by the way I sent you a PM about a handloading question I had...Thanks

ltxi
03-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Have a new PM45. Anyone running a blacked out rear sight? I was looking into the XS sights but thought I might like a complete blacked out notched rear sight such as the one offered by Novak and run it with the stock front.

Anyone doing this? Pictures and or results would be greatly appreciated. This is for EDC undercover LEO work. I think the best would be the Novak blacked out rear with the XS front. This is kind of a baby step to see if I like the setup.

It would be nice to see the size difference between the stock front dot and the large XS dot side by side.

I appreciate all your help. Please feel free to comment if you run this setup or variant on any pistol. I've learned a lot about these pistols since joining here. Hope to report an upcoming training session with good pics and data.

I've used this on 1911's fairly often over the years and been happy with it. My personal preference is for a good set of night sights but the single front dot (white or tritium) system is my second choice, at least for a natural pointer. I particularly do not like Kahr's rear post, front dot system. I find the rear post distracting. Try blacking it out with a white board marker to see how you like it.

jeepster09
03-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Why wouldn't you want the Trigijcon rear "Golf Tee" rear XS Big Dot rear sight? I have it and love it. The line is illuminated at night.

ltxi
03-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Don't know, haven't tried it. But I generally don't like rear post sights.....I find the white rear post distracts from my focus on the front sight with a U-notch rear, especially with the stock Kahr system, and especially when I'm moving the weapon. I've also never found the V-notch particularly inviting on handguns, though I often like it on rifles. White outline rear U sights, as on Glocks, I have no problem with and on Glocks even find preferable since the their grip angle isn't natural for me. It's something I've had to adapt to and the visible rear sight as a reference often helps.

All of this are just my observations as to what works and has for a long time worked for me. Everyone's different so your mileage may vary.

Bawanna
03-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Why wouldn't you want the Trigijcon rear "Golf Tee" rear XS Big Dot rear sight? I have it and love it. The line is illuminated at night.

That's what I run and I love it alot. I got standard dot, not big dot but same principle.

jstringer
03-30-2010, 07:41 PM
fluorescent orange on the rear, fluorescent green on the front.
really stands out for me a lot.

jeep45238
03-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Hi jeep, how did you do that? I want to do it on a revolver I have...I was thinking of cold blue or perhaps flat black epoxy paint...Oh by the way I sent you a PM about a handloading question I had...Thanks

New Novak Sight, Flat Black (http://www.kahrshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmid=1055)

Jay
04-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I prefer a bright yellow front site and a black rear sight.

jlottmc
04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
If that's the case then go to the local auto parts store, and pick up some of the color you like the best, spray it into a back and apply to a clean front/rear sight with a toothpick and let dry. I do this on mine and use the most obnoxious green I can find, this works very well for me. As an aside I prefer the white outline or three dot pattern, but work with anything. I've also been doing some research on fiber optic sites (thinking of putting a set on my 1911) an Hi-Viz makes some for Kahr at very reasonable prices, that might be another option as well.