PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a decision.

JRT
02-18-2013, 08:06 AM
I own a Kahr CW9 and like it a lot. Im wanting to start shooting in IDPA next month and wonder if I can do well with the Kahr's long trigger pull? I know its all about training with what you carry and all. Which leads me to the next part. I really want to get a Glock 19 or 23 because I really like how they shoot and I'm pretty accurate with them, just dont know how easy it would be to CC with the Glock? I was thinking of trading my Kahr in on a Glock, but not sure. What do you guys think I should do and any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated!:Amflag2:

chrish
02-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Depends on your purpose in shooting IDPA. If it's training and competing against yourself, which many feel is the purpose for IDPA, then go w/ your Kahr. Always shoot/compete with what you carry in that instance. If the purpose is fun and leisure and you want to competed against others there, you might want something like the Glock.

Personally, I would think the former is better time spent, but that's really a personal decision.

Something like a Glock 19 is not THAT much bigger than a Kahr, but definitely bigger. 50% heavier, a little thicker, longer, taller. But I frequently carry my Sig P250 compact and it's bigger than a Glock 19. Again, preference, finding a holster that works for the bigger gun. I'd say there are quite a few more folks out there carrying a Glock 19 as their CC than Kahrs. Not trying to sway you one way or the other, just sayin'.

Tilos
02-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Have you read this thread?
Lots of good info on this subject
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13446

Or this one:
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17479

Planedude
02-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Start with the CW9 you carry for now. You own it, you carry it and the trigger time with it is invaluable.
Sorry to say this but... you won't be real competive out the gate. Too much to learn about the game and about yourself to be great from the start.
So run-what-you-brung for now and when the day comes that you know that the CW9 is the only thing that is keeping you from winning, upgrade!
But first enjoy your time in the game. Participating is the win in IDPA.

reswob
02-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Long trigger pull, long reset, lower mag capacity. In short, you'll come in dead last, but you'll learn a lot about using your weapon under stress. I go to matches to compete only with myself, and get more experience using my carry gun. Just don't get discouraged!

jocko
02-20-2013, 05:54 AM
:Amflag2::Amflag2:
I own a Kahr CW9 and like it a lot. Im wanting to start shooting in IDPA next month and wonder if I can do well with the Kahr's long trigger pull? I know its all about training with what you carry and all. Which leads me to the next part. I really want to get a Glock 19 or 23 because I really like how they shoot and I'm pretty accurate with them, just dont know how easy it would be to CC with the Glock? I was thinking of trading my Kahr in on a Glock, but not sure. What do you guys think I should do and any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated!:Amflag2:

the IDPA is ur primary goal to do,then a glock will rule over your kahr. Just a fact, it will, for alotof reasons. If u want sumpin to carry for protection and great concealmen then the kahr should rule., IDPAis not reallife sh!t either. Itis a fun thing to do and some guns are just gonna do better in that situation. Trying to compare a kahr to a glock IMO is not a fair thing to do.

For meif i was gonna shoot that IDPA, I would do it with my kahr for I truly cold give a rats ass what others behind me are thinkin and my score would be irrelevant to. Buy the G19 and do the IDPA with it and still carry the kahr for defense . But thatis ur call to make also,u asked, wearejust giving u our opinion.

muggsy
02-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Enjoy the best of both worlds. The Kahr is the best for concealed carry and the Glock is the best for IDPA. Why limit yourself to one gun when they both function the same way. There is no such thing as owning too many guns.

Captain Crunch
02-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Here is a two gun plan that looks good on paper at least:
S&W M&P
Shield for ccw
Full size for IPDA

Same trigger (I think?)

phil413tx
02-20-2013, 08:51 AM
I agree with these posts. I personally have Kahrs and Glocks. I tried conceal carrying my Glocks but they are just to big. I have the g19 and it is a great gun. I use it as a home defense gun or office gun. The Kahr is my carry and always will be. If I were to compete, I would use my Glock. Both brands serve completely different roles in my opinion and I love them both for the roles they serve. That is why I have multiples of each.

wyntrout
02-20-2013, 09:00 AM
I have a bunch of Kahrs and don't anticipate carrying any other pistol daily, but I'm picking up my second Glock... a G19... for "Wifey" today. I got my G23C a few weeks ago and love it, but I will have to get a better holster and won't be carrying it with shorts! It's a nice size, but definitely larger than my P40... my largest carry... that and the PM45. That doesn't mean I won't try, though!

Wynn:)

HighLander51
02-24-2013, 08:42 PM
If you want to shoot IDPA for the game, then run a G34. If you want to shoot what you carry, then run your CW9 (in my case) but don't expect to smoke the guys running G34's. It's all about what you want to get out of the match. I ran an IDPA club for 7 years, and shot a G21, G26, G19, G17 and G34. For me, the challenge is to run the CW9.

For example, even though it is not required to shoot the IDPA classifier from concealment, I can run my G17/G34 into the 90's from an IWB holster at 4 o'clock position, but the best I have done with my CW9, from an appendix IWB, is in the 130s.

Rufus
02-25-2013, 09:38 AM
If you need one gun to do all that's one thing. I personally think that almost any Kahr is a better gun than the Glock. If you really want to do the IDPA thing, I would suggest keeping your Kahr for carry/protection and save your money and get something like an STI Spartan or Trojan which will give you a very nice competition gun with a nice short trigger reset.

TheTman
02-25-2013, 10:06 AM
I'd also check out the M&P Pro, I hear it's doing a pretty good job on the IDPA circuit.
I like the trigger, fiber optic front sight, and overall feel of it over the G34. And it comes with 3 interchangeble backstraps to help fit the gun to your hand.

Bawanna
02-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Where's my precious Melissa? She's been doing this IDPA stuff and should have a handle on what the limitations and downfalls might be.

I concur with what I've seen so far that the trigger and low capacity would be a detriment if you want to compete with high scores. If you want good practice another story.

Kahrdriver64
04-10-2013, 01:07 PM
FWIW, a number of shooters at my club are dragging out their revolvers for IDPA and leaving their pistols at home or for carry only. That way they keep their trigger control sharp for their DOA pistols without burning through 9mm, 40, or 45 ammo that is in short supply.

bugs
10-06-2016, 12:54 PM
I understand your situation cuz "I was there"(Elmer Keith); I used to EDC a G36 IWB, got stupid and sold it,replaced it with a G19, which I started to used in IDPA, CCP DIV.

when IDPA formalized BUG DIV., I started using my CM9 as my EDC/Competition gun. it is a challenge, but I see progress, and by shooting BUG DIV. I compete against other BUGs, 3"" or shorter barrels, so don't feel like I'm spanked by anyone, nor do I feel capacity handicapped because it's 6rds.max in the gun,3 reloads of 6 on the belt for everyone in this Div. just practice and you'll get used to the trigger.

CM9 became my EDC because it gave me more flexibility carrying and more comfortable.

NRA LIFER
IDPA BELEIVER