PDA

View Full Version : PM9 Recoil Assembly

3Regrets
02-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Hi all. I've now run 350 rounds through my new PM9 without a single problem, partly due to the help I received here with the 'proper prep', which was appreciated.

Question- after shooting 300 rounds of new target ammo followed by 50 rounds of +P Black Hills ammo, I observed galling on the guide rod where the recoil spring contacts. The galling is deep enough that I can hook it with a fingernail, and runs around the circumference of the guide rod, not lengthwise. I understand Kahr advise replacement of the recoil spring every 1000 rounds or so, but was still surprised to see such heavy wear. I have a number of other pistols which have seen far more than 350 rounds with no such wear.

Do y'all find the same wear pattern on your guide rods?

rhd04
02-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Mine is fine. The unfinished end of the spring contacts the slide and the finished end contacts the guide rod

wyntrout
02-20-2013, 10:55 PM
The way you describe your PM9 recoil spring guide rod, it sounds different than mine, which is a captive spring dual spring assembly. It's the smaller of the two in the first picture... PM45 recoil assembly above.

I tried to find a picture of the P9 or K9 recoil assembly with one spring and the full-length rod... no luck.

We've had guys report that their rods were scratched like that, but no biggee! It's an internal part and gets scuffed a bit... some more than others.

Wynn:)

jocko
02-21-2013, 12:31 AM
wyn: looking at ur photo that bottom recoil assembly, is hat back flat peace 3/8" or 1/2". It looks very small compared to the 45 flat peace, which I have never seen one, so maybe it is even bigger than 1/2". Just asking.

wyntrout
02-21-2013, 12:46 AM
The top one is the PM45... flange end is .4915". The PM9 I don't know, but 3/8" looks like a good estimate from the picture. I had an extra one for the PM45 from when I made my own nut for the end after the original flew off.

muggsy
02-21-2013, 07:05 AM
If the galling bothers you you can sand it smooth with fine emery cloth and polish it on a buffing wheel. Deburr the open end of the outer recoil spring. Lube the rod with a light grease and the problem shouldn't reoccur.

sas PM9
02-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Hi all. I've now run 350 rounds through my new PM9 without a single problem, partly due to the help I received here with the 'proper prep', which was appreciated.

Question- after shooting 300 rounds of new target ammo followed by 50 rounds of +P Black Hills ammo, I observed galling on the guide rod where the recoil spring contacts. The galling is deep enough that I can hook it with a fingernail, and runs around the circumference of the guide rod, not lengthwise. I understand Kahr advise replacement of the recoil spring every 1000 rounds or so, but was still surprised to see such heavy wear. I have a number of other pistols which have seen far more than 350 rounds with no such wear.

Do y'all find the same wear pattern on your guide rods?

3:

No galling, some scuffing.
Is your spring oriented correctly on the rod?
If it was installed backwards I could see it scrapping the dickens out of the rod.
The open end of the spring should be towards the muzzle.
HTH

-steve

rhd04
02-22-2013, 03:50 PM
That's what I was thinking too sas

jocko
02-22-2013, 04:15 PM
The top one is the PM45... flange end is .4915". The PM9 I don't know, but 3/8" looks like a good estimate from the picture. I had an extra one for the PM45 from when I made my own nut for the end after the original flew off.

OVER 5 YEARS AGO KAHR WENT FROM THE 3/8" SIZE BACK FLANGE ON THE RECOIL ASSEMBLY TO 1/2" ON ALL PM9 kahrs and PM40.

wyntrout
02-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Mine's a blunt nosed one like yours... 2006 vintage, I believe... does have an FC in a dated envelope.

Fired Case.:D

jocko
02-22-2013, 05:02 PM
probalby outta get a new assembly. I have no idea why they changed it to the 1/2" size back then. My theory is maybe the spring was riding over that flange peace. I never had any issues withmy 3/8" size thogh but I did do the change.