View Full Version : WALLYWORLD vs. GUNSHOWS

ryoung
04-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Deleted

wyntrout
04-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Too often now, when I go to a show, whatever I was looking for and saw at the last show, is missing. The last show, I wanted to look for 1911-type magazine parts... no one had bins full of parts like that. I wanted some poster-sized targets to replace Monsieur Silhouette but there were none.
Monsieur Silhouette seems destined for a third trip to the range!. I usually shoot them off the holder and can't recover them on the second visit. The backs are the worst things to patch. I guess I need to search online and pay more postage than the local tax to get what I want.:(
Hmmm... I just had a thought about recycling. The last thing package I got had that not-quite-white raw paper 24" wide stuffed in the box for protection and the there were pieces over 3 feet long. Eureka! I'll go dig that out... I folded it, since that takes up less space. That and my plentiful, stout cardboard from the new plasma TV, and my trusty marker can make a tolerable target with Monsieur Silhouette as the template! I like that design and point scheme.
Wynn:D

jocko
04-03-2010, 01:24 PM
the small county shows any more are just for not worth going. same ol dealers with the same high priced guns, Never any ammo at the shows,. the Big Indy show called the Indy 1500 is still one hell of a 3 day show but if your going for ammo bargins, best forget it..

Stillthe best show in the midwest..

Chief Joseph
04-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I no longer go to the gun show here in portland. Everything is over priced, or at the price I can get anywhere, and I don't have to pay 7 bucks to park and 7 bucks to get in. Plus they don't allow conceal carriers to carry in the show. So I just look for what I want online now and pop into walmart and bimart when ever I can.

Bawanna
04-03-2010, 01:59 PM
I still go to our local show every month. I usually can't afford anything but I always seem to come away with ideas and stuff to do to toys I already have. The table holders seem to pray on folks that don't do their homework or don't know what stuff cost. Usually the same guys every month but you get to know them and if you play your cards right, you can sometimes score a deal. Rarely but it does happen. At our shows you have to be a member to buy a gun, membership includes free admission and we can carry our guns, unloaded and tied of course. Non member pay like 6 bucks and they can buy most everything but guns. Ammo, holsters and such.
It's torture for me to not be able to bring home everything I like even if it's a good deal but guess I like to abuse myself.

jocko
04-03-2010, 02:14 PM
:third:
I no longer go to the gun show here in portland. Everything is over priced, or at the price I can get anywhere, and I don't have to pay 7 bucks to park and 7 bucks to get in. Plus they don't allow conceal carriers to carry in the show. So I just look for what I want online now and pop into walmart and bimart when ever I can.

in defense of the dealers, normally those gun shows are at least 2 days, so they have to rent tables etc and then more than likely stay at some motel and eat a half dozen meals on the road and gas expenses etc. Some I bet even don't sell much to even break even at these shows, let alone the hassle of boxing up the guns at your place of business and driving maybe 100 miles+ and then packing that crap inside a building and unboxing etc. Certainly to me, not worth the effort. The bargains certainly are not there at the small gun shows.

the big shows, are different. If ur $20 higher on your glocks than the other dealers at the show, u might as well pack up now and go home for your not gonna cut it... If they took all the glocks out of the gun shows, I would also be about 2/5ths the size to..

wyntrout
04-08-2010, 02:13 AM
Then if you took out all of the AR and AK stuff you'd have about 10% left... not counting the holsters, clothes, 'antiques" and non-gun stuff.
Wynn:p

Dietrich
04-08-2010, 04:24 AM
Bargains at gun shows are getting much harder to find nowadays.You really have to look to run across one.More and more I`m using the shows as a networking and contact tool than anything else.I use the information that I get from the people there to find deals or hard to locate items. Maybe when the political climate changes we will start to see more bargains at shows.Right now it`s a sellers market and it looks like it`s going to stay that way for a while.

bookemdano
04-08-2010, 08:20 AM
I went to my first gun show this past winter in akron.It was overcrowded,expensive to get in,vendors were over priced and couldn't have my cw9 loaded or a loaded mag there.Nobody had any kind of rubber grips for my kahr.The only good exp I had was with the hardcore gun holster maker who was amish was there.The holster for my cw9 doesn't fit perfectly which I bought in Kidron, Oh.This fine man saw that my holster was gently used and offered to exchange for a different one free of charge.His selection was bigger than my lgs.I hate to shop at wallyworld,but since I'm laid off from my job I can't pass up the great ammo deals.We are fortunate her in Ohio with all the amish communities in the area.They are genuine people that don't rip you off.I have no desire to go to another gunshow in the future.Why would I ?:)

Vinikahr
04-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Gun show only for sale for me after the sale I am gone!

I buy ammo online!

kahrseye
04-08-2010, 01:51 PM
I like to go to the shows, see what's new, get some ideas but in general, they're bad for buyin guns or ammo. Somethin to do on a crappy day.

Price
04-08-2010, 04:34 PM
The local show here in Cincinnati is not very big and the selection is average at best. The bright side is that there are a few of the local shops that are priced right, one is by far the best around on both price and service, these guys come in and setup for the show with a good chunk of their inventory and everything is priced exactly the same as it was the day before in their shop. I dont go often anymore because I'd rather avoid the admission charge and the crowd and go the shop its self but for those milling around in the sea of people there there are still soldi prices guns to be had.

wyntrout
04-10-2010, 09:59 PM
But... if you tell everyone, there won't be any left! I've been going to a couple of Wal*Marts here and I've talked with the guy behind the counter about .380 ammo. They get 10 boxes in and limit sales to 6 per person... The first buys 6 and the next 4.... They are getting several kinds of 9mm from $9.47 for Federal 115gr FMJ or WW100-pack for $24 or $25. The WW100-pack .45 ACP 230gr FMJ is $32.97. They had a lot of .40 S&W but I don't use that.
I just put in another order at Sportsman's Guide for Sellier & Bellot® Pistol .380 ACP 92 gr. FMJ 50 rds.
Product: WX2-85646
Expected availability: April 16, 2010.
Quantity: 10, Unit Price: $14.22, Total Price: $142.20

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Payment Information:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Merchandise Total: $142.20
Shipping and Handling: $15.49
Shipping Method: [Ground]
Package Protection: $0.99
Coupon: [SG1029] - $10.00
---------------------------------------------==============-----------
Grand Total: $148.68

I used the usual coupon they offer for $10 off an order of $99 or more, excluding S&H.
It's hard to find any .380 for less than $18.99 a box of 50 plus S&H.

Wynn:)

gunmut
04-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Same here in OK state; best prices on ammo is at WallyWorld. I have been able to buy 45 acp 230 gr. HP for $18.00 box of 50; done this a number of times when they have it in stock,Rem brand.

jocko
04-11-2010, 08:34 AM
100 pak of WWB at our local Wal mart for $23.00. No 380 ammo in over oneyear at our store. About a year ago I bought a 1000 rounds of 147 grain fmj WWB at wal mart for $7.96. Don'tnormally shoot 147 grain stuff but for range fodder it was super stuff, very accurate to. It was a one time deal though. they have never had 147 grain wwb ammo again at any price. I always fighred it was a screw up somewhere, as that was just to low of a price IMO.

Dietrich
04-11-2010, 09:25 AM
100 pak of WWB at our local Wal mart for $23.00. No 380 ammo in over oneyear at our store. About a year ago I bought a 1000 rounds of 147 grain fmj WWB at wal mart for $7.96. Don'tnormally shoot 147 grain stuff but for range fodder it was super stuff, very accurate to. It was a one time deal though. they have never had 147 grain wwb ammo again at any price. I always fighred it was a screw up somewhere, as that was just to low of a price IMO.
1,000 rounds for $7.96? Man,that is a price rollback!!:cheer2:

jocko
04-11-2010, 10:15 AM
1,000 rounds for $7.96? Man,that is a price rollback!!:cheer2:

$7.96 per 50 rounds. sorry about that, still a nice price rol back, to never come up again either.:cheer2:

wyntrout
04-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Maybe that's BBs... the little .177 cal. copper-plated steel ball-thingies... if so, kinda high.

Bawanna
04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi, welcome to Wal Mart, watch for falling prices........hard hat area?

wyntrout
04-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Some of that ammo is probably is just about the only "made in USA" stuff they carry.:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Dietrich
04-11-2010, 05:22 PM
$7.96 per 50 rounds. sorry about that, still a nice price rol back, to never come up again either.:cheer2:

Yep,I remember buying Remington UMC 9mm for $6.98 per 50 at Dieck`s Sporting Goods in the not too distant past, but you had to buy a case to get that price.We won`t see those days again I fear.

:frown: