PDA

View Full Version : Nobody Warned Me

BorisJBoris
03-01-2013, 10:56 AM
My CM9 arrived from Bud's a few days ago and I spent the first day doing all the cleaning, polishing and lubing that you folks recommended. The next two days I took it to the range for break-in and general familiarization. Since I'm and old guy and an old bullseye shooter to boot, the shooting part progresses pretty slowly. We're up to roughly 120 rounds now and it's going well. There have been exactly zero bobbles of any kind and that's with Magtech hardball, reloads with some sort of hardball from Midway and reloads using a flat tipped hollowpoint bullet. Most impressive! On my second outing, as I grew more accustomed to the trigger I had run my target out to 15 yards. As I was banging away the operator of the range crept over and was peering through my spotting scope. He was impressed with the 15 yard results and wondered out loud how "that little pistol" would do at 25 yards. So, we ran a fresh target out to 25 yards and the photo below shows my first 5 shot 25 yard group fired offhand with my CM9. When I ordered the CM9 I thought I was getting a pocket pistol. NOBODY WARNED ME it was really a match pistol too. To say the least, I'm impressed. My dealer already has my order for a CW380 and now I'm kinda interested in a CW45 after this.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff409/5-shot/kahr_zps2e21fe94.jpg

wyntrout
03-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Good shooting, Boris! Welcome to the forum. I can do that at 10 yards, but at 15 yards I'm doing well to get on a sheet of paper, which will do for man-sized targets.

These little pistols can be a lot more accurate than I can... aged eyes and all. I haven't had a chance to ever shoot any from a real pistol rest, though, just offhand.

Wynn:)

jocko
03-01-2013, 11:14 AM
indeed at 25 yards, I could not keep um on that paper, just no way. great shootin, one that I do envy but in my case I could give a rats ass to, for it is never gonna happen. And at 25 yards I don't fear near as much as I would at 7 yards and under..

chrish
03-01-2013, 12:33 PM
I agree, I can't shoot either of my Kahr's that well @ 25 yards. Impressive sir. I would hate to threaten you in a dark alley @ 25 yards! Crap, with that accuracy, I think I'd even skip calling you a nasty name @ 50 yards.

Flincher
03-01-2013, 12:43 PM
My little P380 also took me by surprise by how accurate it is off hand rapid fire at 5 and 7 yards. A blast to shoot, but 100 rounds is about the limit for a day at the range.

muggsy
03-01-2013, 01:46 PM
My CM9 arrived from Bud's a few days ago and I spent the first day doing all the cleaning, polishing and lubing that you folks recommended. The next two days I took it to the range for break-in and general familiarization. Since I'm and old guy and an old bullseye shooter to boot, the shooting part progresses pretty slowly. We're up to roughly 120 rounds now and it's going well. There have been exactly zero bobbles of any kind and that's with Magtech hardball, reloads with some sort of hardball from Midway and reloads using a flat tipped hollowpoint bullet. Most impressive! On my second outing, as I grew more accustomed to the trigger I had run my target out to 15 yards. As I was banging away the operator of the range crept over and was peering through my spotting scope. He was impressed with the 15 yard results and wondered out loud how "that little pistol" would do at 25 yards. So, we ran a fresh target out to 25 yards and the photo below shows my first 5 shot 25 yard group fired offhand with my CM9. When I ordered the CM9 I thought I was getting a pocket pistol. NOBODY WARNED ME it was really a match pistol too. To say the least, I'm impressed. My dealer already has my order for a CW380 and now I'm kinda interested in a CW45 after this.

For crying out loud, Boris, don't you know that you shouldn't post pictures like that on the Kahr Talk Website? Jocko might see it and I can't stand to see an old man like him cry. Us old guys gotta stick together. Very nice shootin', BTW. I own a CM9 and P380 and I don't leave home without them.

O'Dell
03-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Good shooting. Kinda reminds me of a day last fall. I was shooting my 45 carbine on the 25 yard range. After I finished I pulled out my CW45 and fired one shot, right through the one inch 10 ring. I should have stopped right there, but noooo, not me. The next five shots were all over the place with only one within three inches of the center. my new motto is only stop when you're behind. :o

hardluk1
03-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Boris Nice to someone that still has good eyes and skills to shoot like that . Not me any more.

You now have the kahr de-zzz. You can't have just one. There kinda like lay's potatoe chips.

BorisJBoris
03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Hardluk1,

I've learned you don't need to see too much to shoot. I turn 70 in a few days. The proper reading glasses and an eye disc can work wonders. Been using that combination for about 15 years. It won't help much in a dark alley (there aren't any around here anyway) but it works great on the range.

I'm afraid you might be right about the illness. I'm certainly feeling all the symptoms. I've been a S&W guy all my life but I caught myself earlier today peeking in the safe and asking, "Could I do without you?" so far no one has raised a hand.

RevRay
03-01-2013, 02:48 PM

I'll bet I could make a target look just like that ... with a pencil from about 6 inches away.

wyntrout
03-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Jocko gets a little too close sometimes and the blast tears the paper up or sets it on fire... with his one-hole groups.:D

Wynn:behindsofa:

jocko
03-01-2013, 02:57 PM
I don't normally brag of my shootin skills but I have a reputation around this area of the best one shot groups ever.I shoot one shot and then with a protractor I just draw a ring around that hole and walla, Just sayin.

JFootin
03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Good shooting, Boris! ... I can do that at 10 yards, but at 15 yards I'm doing well to get on a sheet of paper, which will do for man-sized targets.

I can do that at 10 feet! LOL! :D

Welcome to the forum, Boris! :) There is a wealth of valuable information in the New Member Area (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56) and the Kahr-Tech (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27) sections of the forum.

And welcome to the CM9 Owners Club! :D Our official symbol is the wide grin smily because we are so happy with our purchase that we can't wipe the smiles off our faces!

Here is your club badge.
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Smilies/BigSmily.jpg

The best holster I have found for forget-it-is-there comfort 24/7 with my CM9 is the PJ IWB Holster (http://pjholster.com/?page_id=37). There are so, so many members here that will concur. Paul is a great guy and a real gun lover, and he performs magic with kydex - making the holster incredibly comfortable to where you can't tell it is there whether sitting, standing or moving about. It is like the mass of the gun disappears, becoming one with your body. I carry mine with a 15° cant just behind my hip - the sweet spot. I prefer the linked one with the over the belt clip. It is available with j-hook, c-hook and velcro attachment method, and tuckable is an option. I have a tuckable one with velcro for if I need total concealment, but normally wear the above under a loose shirt.

wyntrout
03-01-2013, 03:30 PM
I finally tried 10 yards the other day with the last Glock... Wifey's G19... did a lot better than the 15 yard maximum range at the LGS Range. That extra 5 yards is just too much for my eyes and the sights... along with my rapid shooting! Git 'r done!

Craig1056
03-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Just when I think I'm starting to get pretty accurate with my CM Boris comes along with his damn 25 yard target - Thanks Boris !!!!!!!

BTW - Good shooting ...

Bootlegger
03-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Nice shootin!! This is about as good as I get at 15 yards.
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/bootlegger1022/Mobile%20Uploads/0519001308.jpg

Bawanna
03-04-2013, 10:44 AM
That seems to be getting the job done. I'd have that framed and hanging on my wall if that ever happens to me.

I just ordered a protractor, thanks for the tip Jocko.

Lazy
03-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Outstanding shooting !!!

AFDoc
03-07-2013, 08:02 PM
And at 25 yards I don't fear near as much as I would at 7 yards and under..

...unless its Boris!

Great Shootin!

mr surveyor
03-07-2013, 09:21 PM
That seems to be getting the job done. I'd have that framed and hanging on my wall if that ever happens to me.

I just ordered a protractor, thanks for the tip Jocko.

not to distract from the thread topic, but I gotta ask......

is a pro tractor the opposite of a con tractor?

wyntrout
03-07-2013, 09:54 PM
I think he means a compass for drawing circles:

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/03/35/03/0002033503935_180X180.jpg
The protractor is on the left, the compass on the right, not to be confused with the compass for finding magnetic North:

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/01/13/19/48/0001131948720_180X180.jpg

LorenzoB
03-07-2013, 10:36 PM
I'll bet I could make a target look just like that ... with a pencil from about 6 inches away.

LOL! :p

Allen
03-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Been to the range 3 times with my new CM9 and will be overly joyed if I can ever get shots grouped like those at 5-7 yds. Seems I'm having trouble focusing clearly with bi-vocals on the gun sights and the target at the same time. I do a little better with my Berreta .380 and S&W .357 in single action mode but the focasing is still giving me trouble.
Keep wondering if it's cause I'm used to using a scope on my air rifle to keep the sparrows off my martin houses at 18-25 yds and also using a scope on my hunting rifle (not at 18-25 yds though).

muggsy
03-08-2013, 06:15 AM
I have the same problem, Allen. I've found that I can only get a clear sight picture by turning my head slightly to the right and looking through the upper left corner of my right lens where there is no correction. If I don't I get a ghost double image of the dot on the front sight. I didn't have the problem until I had cataract surgery. With a clear sight picture I can keep all of my shots within a 3" circle at 7 yards. Outstanding accuracy for a short barrel defensive pistol.

AIRret
03-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Outstanding Boris!
Forgive my ignorance but what is an eye disc?
They never told us about those in the Air Force.

hardluk1
03-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Heres a better model of a shooting disc.
http://www.champchoice.com/prod-GEHMANN_IRIS___DISC_FOR_REGULAR_GLASSES-1088.aspx

AIRret
03-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks, hardluk1 that's really cool. I'm always learning on this forum.

mr surveyor
03-08-2013, 03:40 PM
if you want to experiment with the "iris eye diopter", it's pretty easy and cheap. Having substantial eye problems myself, I'm always looking for "aids".

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/cowpi/CHEAPDIOPTER_zps3ccef0e0.jpg

This is nothing but a pair of inexpensive plastic safety glasses. I put the glasses on, and held a pistol in normal shooting position, and had someone else use a fine point marker to move around in the lense until the best alignment was found ... then the mark was made. I then drilled a very small hole in the lense (actually ended up stepping it up to the next bit size to achieve best optical results for me), then used a black "permanent marker" to blot out the peripherial area immediately around the diopter. This will force the focus to be through the hole.

Believe it or not, this worked great for me at the time as I was only wearing contact lenses with 1.00-1.25 readers. It eliminated the need for the extra readers, and definately sharpened up the sights and target. I rarely used them, unless I was trying to "play" bullseye, because I prefer to use my ammunition and shooting time to more closely resemble the vision related conditions I'm in every day.

It's been 7-8 years since I first did this, but was amazed at how it helped at the time. Give it a try .... you'll be pleasantly surprised.

surv

Allen
03-08-2013, 08:22 PM
I have the same problem, Allen. I've found that I can only get a clear sight picture by turning my head slightly to the right and looking through the upper left corner of my right lens where there is no correction. If I don't I get a ghost double image of the dot on the front sight. I didn't have the problem until I had cataract surgery. With a clear sight picture I can keep all of my shots within a 3" circle at 7 yards. Outstanding accuracy for a short barrel defensive pistol.

I've noticed a lot of shooters can shoot with both eyes open but I've always gotten the ghost double image shooting with open sights unless I close my left eye. Been some time now but if I remember right I may have even shot a shotgun with my left eye closed to avoid seeing two barrel ends. Do you wear glasses all the time or just for certain distances?
My wife was always very very very near sighted (like for over 60 years) but after cataract surgery last summer she now has to only wear glasses for reading. May have to try to get her to the range with me next time to see how she shoots the little pistol.

wyntrout
03-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Heres a better model of a shooting disc.
http://www.champchoice.com/prod-GEHMANN_IRIS___DISC_FOR_REGULAR_GLASSES-1088.aspx

Oh, yeah! This

http://lucas2012infos.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/cheney_and_bush_borgs_resistanceisfutile1_490x495. jpg

Wynn:D

cmichael22
03-08-2013, 09:46 PM
For a concealed carry gun how far should you be able to shoot from and still be accurate?

wyntrout
03-08-2013, 10:14 PM
I would think that most SD scenarios are inside 20 feet, but if necessary, you should have some idea of what to do for farther ranges. I can hit center of mass, letter-sized target out to 15 yards, but after 10 yards, it gets a little "sprinkly". I point more than aim after a few shots... and shoot quickly. The sights are harder to line up and all with someone shooting at you. The paper targets give you more time!

Wynn:D

chrish
03-08-2013, 10:29 PM
With a 3-4" barrel 9mm, I shoot minute-of-man (as a guy I know has called it) out to about 15 yards. Basically the ability to hit chest or head in a two-to-three fist sized area at 15 yards. Beyond that to 25 yards I'll hit a chest sized target but it might not be a 'stopping shot', but I can put enough onto it quickly to feel I'd be OK should I end up in a scenario to need to do that. From 25 out, I'm likely to turn tail and run like hell unless there's a gun on the other end of that 25 shooting my direction and I'm forced to return fire.

It ain't target work by any means, but I'm fine w/ that.