PDA

View Full Version : Powder Identification

WR Monger
03-02-2013, 10:35 AM
I traded a friend at work, some factory 9mm for some reloads he had that he wanted to get rid of. I am breaking them down for the primed brass, and looking to sell the lead bullets. The powder is interesting to me (new to reloading). The powder has flake powder (diferent sizes, gray colored) and ball powder mixed in with it (black in color, 30-40 percent). I wasn't planning on using the powder, but it looks distingtive enough, was wondering if anybody could help me identifing it/

So far, 125 gr lead bullet, 6.2 gr powder, and 147 gr bullet, 4.5 gr powder.

Any info appreciated.

Here's a crappy cell phone picture

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n522/dhklaege/2013-03-01_18-20-48_855_zpsc2b87f11.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n522/dhklaege/2013-03-01_18-21-04_164_zpsec42eb63.jpg

Ikeo74
03-02-2013, 10:50 AM
NO WAY can you reuse that powder. Powder can not be identified by looking at it. Dispose of it. If it can't be 100% identified it has to be thrown away. Powder is cheap, buy your own and use only what comes from the manufactures container with the label intact.

Edit: Does the guy that gave them to you know "exactly" what the powder is without question? If he can positively identify the powder because he (himself) loaded them, there might be a chance to re-use. But if He knew then he would have told you. Don't take a chance of serious injury to you and your gun.:eek:

Ikeo74
03-02-2013, 11:03 AM
There are many, many powders that all look the same. That powder you are showing looks like a mixture of several powders. I have NEVER SEEN BALL POWDER AND FLAKE POWDER mixed togather before.

Re-use and re-gret, is my opinion.

WR Monger
03-02-2013, 11:03 AM
NO WAY can you reuse that powder. Powder can not be identified by looking at it. Dispose of it. If it can't be 100% identified it has to be thrown away. Powder is cheap, buy your own and use only what comes from the manufactures container with the label intact.

Edit: Does the guy that gave them to you know "exactly" what the powder is without question? If he can positively identify the powder because he (himself) loaded them, there might be a chance to re-use. But if He knew then he would have told you. Don't take a chance of serious injury to you and your gun.:eek:

He doesn't know he bought the reloads from someone else. He had a blank round that left the bullet in the barrel. That scared him, and he didn't want to shoot them. I traded him 200 factory rounds for about 500 of his reloads.

I wasn't planning on using the powder, I have thrown most of it out already. I just thought the powder consistancy was interesting with flake (flattened ball powder) and regular ball powder. I was just wondering if anybody with more experience could identify it.

Ikeo74
03-02-2013, 11:10 AM
He doesn't know he bought the reloads from someone else. He had a blank round that left the bullet in the barrel. That scared him, and he didn't want to shoot them. I traded him 200 factory rounds for about 500 of his reloads.

I wasn't planning on using the powder, I have thrown most of it out already. I just thought the powder consistancy was interesting with flake (flattened ball powder) and regular ball powder. I was just wondering if anybody with more experience could identify it.
I don't think anyone will be able to identify the powder, even if they could, I wouldn't take their word for it.
Those reloads are not safe, thats why he got rid of them. You probably could got them by trading 50 or less factory ammo for the whole lot. You are doing the right thing bu taking them apart for salvage, just throw the dangerious powder into some old oil.

mr surveyor
03-02-2013, 11:13 AM
suspect or contaminated gun powder makes excellent fertilizer in the garden. Best use I know of!