PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 9mm NATO ammo

hsart
04-05-2010, 01:15 PM
A few years ago I purchased 1000 rounds of 124 gr FMJ NATO ammo by Winchester. I have run a few hundred through my Glock 19. I do not have a 9mm Kahr yet. This morning I read a report written in'06 that this ammo is not recommended in 9mm Luger designated handguns. Has anyone run this ammo through their Kahr? I always thought that the difference between NATO and regular Win white box was that the NATO was close to a +P.

In-Yo-Grill
04-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm going to have to check but I think I've run it through my Kahr/s.

ripley16
04-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I've run boatloads of it through many guns. I can't figure why anyone wouldn't want to shoot it in a modern pistol. It is great practice ammo as it shoots and feels like defensive ammo. Pressure wise it is close to but not as high as most +P. Velocity from a Beretta 92 (M9) is about 1200 fps. Why was it not recommended? Can you post a link to this.

In-Yo-Grill
04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I've run boatloads of it through many guns. I can't figure whay anyone wouldn't want to shoot it in a modern pistol. It is great practice ammo as it shoots and feels like defensive ammo. Pressure wise it is close to but not as high as most +P. Velocity from a Beretta 92 (M9) is about 1200 fps. Why was it not recommended? Can you post a link to this.

Yeah I'm pretty dang sure I've run it through my CW9, P9 and MK9 with no problems. I stocked up on some when ammo was scarce and have gone through all I had.

jocko
04-05-2010, 03:16 PM
is it available anymore on the open market. I have never run across it at any of the bigger gun shows. Price wise, is it normally a good buy..

In-Yo-Grill
04-05-2010, 03:39 PM
is it available anymore on the open market. I have never run across it at any of the bigger gun shows. Price wise, is it normally a good buy..

I've seen it frequently at my local sporting good store Academy. They get it in boxes of 50. It's an all white box with black lettering. I've been buying Federal Premium because Wally World sells it for $9.49 a box of 50.

hsart
04-05-2010, 04:13 PM
I've run boatloads of it through many guns. I can't figure why anyone wouldn't want to shoot it in a modern pistol. It is great practice ammo as it shoots and feels like defensive ammo. Pressure wise it is close to but not as high as most +P. Velocity from a Beretta 92 (M9) is about 1200 fps. Why was it not recommended? Can you post a link to this.
Here is the link:
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_211-Unsafe_Arms_and_Ammunition_Combinations.pdf

ripley16
04-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the link. I'd seen that before. I can only think that it must mean that it recommends not using NATO ammo in guns one may not know for certain can handle +P pressures. Every modern duty pistol can certainly handle NATO ammo as can the Kahr line.

hsart
04-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the link. I'd seen that before. I can only think that it must mean that it recommends not using NATO ammo in guns one may not know for certain can handle +P pressures. Every modern duty pistol can certainly handle NATO ammo as can the Kahr line.
I agree. I love that ammo... at least in the glock. I was in a competition with it where you needed to knock down several steel targets at various distances - 5-15 yards, and this ammo had a different ping if that's possible. It was dead on accurate (or was that me?). I would not hesitate to use it in any modern 9mm.

Raoul
04-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I've run it through Glocks, Sigs, and Steyrs. No problem.
I'd be happy to shoot it for you. :D