PDA

View Full Version : Girsan

JohnR
03-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Oh lordy, what have I done? :( Hopefully this thing is half way decent. Just ordered a Girsan 1911 off Bud's, total price shipped was $436 plus FFL fee at my end. What few reviews I found seemed to favor it, but I feel like a guinea pig here.

I've had the 1911 bug forever (since I was a kid playing soldier in the back yard), and almost bought one a couple times, but now I decided to go for it. I thought about an RIA, and Auto Ordinance for the GI panache, but can't find RIAs right now, and the only AO 1911 I found was at Gander for more than MSRP (Something like $710!). Ruger SR1911s are $750 and up. This is my first 1911, by the way.

The Girsan, which has the GI sites, hammer and beavertail, is made in Turkey, and the Turks are no slouches. These are supposedly issued to the armies of several countries and tested to military specs.

So I eagerly await news of its arrival...

Bawanna
03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
I think your ok. I looked at those myself. They have sold over a 1000 of them and 100 % positive reviews. Not a negative in the bunch.

Pretty sure it's the same anyhow. Made it Turkey, thought they were 399 delivered but that was a week ago.

If I had the change I'd probably try one myself.

You are in fact the guinea pig so share with the rest of us when you get it in hand.

Fingers crossed for a good first 1911 for you.

downtownv
03-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Hey at that price you can't lose any money...

Bawanna
03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Umm, my bad. I was looking at the Tisas, which I see they are out of now. The Girsan is a new one, never heard of that.

Fingers still crossed for ya but your really the guinea pig now, I got nothing to go on for the Girsan. You will be my sole source of information.

JohnR
03-11-2013, 03:08 PM
I feel like I stole it, compared to all the schmancy thousand dollar and up Dan Kimber Wesson Jerry Springer Wilson Colt Combat models out there everyone brags about.

I could have bought three of these for the price of one o' them there Barbeque guns.

Bawanna
03-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Hey now, don't be hating barbecue guns. Your still a virgin in the 1911 world. You'll be barbecuing in short order yourself.

I carried my commoner 1911G (hell of a nice gun for the money) for a week. This morning I went back to the Cbob (barbecue gun) mostly cause I gotta score some holsters for the extra 1/2" barreled versions.

MW surveyor
03-11-2013, 04:51 PM
JohnR - Hope you don't want those mags back!

wyntrout
03-11-2013, 05:10 PM
:hungry:That's supposed to be tasty local fare in Peru or Chile... or both... not quite a rat!

Wynn:D

Bawanna
03-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Gotta hold the butter though, trying to cut back on polyurathane saturated fats and gluttens.

Straight red meat for me.

DeaconKC
03-11-2013, 06:30 PM
If you have any problems, swap out the springs with Wolff ones and make sure you have GOOD magazines. The 1911 needs a little grease on the rails and good mags to run right, but when you have that, they are great.

JohnR
03-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Oh no, the mags are yours. I was at Academy this evening, where there were two lonely boxes of .380 ammo where the pistol ammo should be. Since I couldn't spend money on ammo, I picked up three 8-round 1911 mags.

JohnR
03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Hey now, don't be hating barbecue guns. Your still a virgin in the 1911 world. You'll be barbecuing in short order yourself.

I carried my commoner 1911G (hell of a nice gun for the money) for a week. This morning I went back to the Cbob (barbecue gun) mostly cause I gotta score some holsters for the extra 1/2" barreled versions.
Will I have to hang out in the 1911.com forum and endure the insufferable bigotry of the BBQ gunners? :D.

Believe me, if I could, I'd have a shiny gleaming spawn of JMB strapped to my leg for all to envy.

Bawanna
03-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Will I have to hang out in the 1911.com forum and endure the insufferable bigotry of the BBQ gunners? :D.

Believe me, if I could, I'd have a shiny gleaming spawn of JMB strapped to my leg for all to envy.

I don't hang there. Never even been there. I don't know. Lot of BBQ guys over there?

yqtszhj
03-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Hey, I bought a $400 RIA (Armscor) 3-4 years ago and put 1000 rounds of junk ammo and probably 500 rounds of decent brass ammo and it never missed a beat. Shoots straight too. Liked it so much that when I wanted a compact I bought an Armscor officers size after looking at a Kimber. It shoots good too. and I saved about $300 and bought 500 rounds of ammo and some Bawanna grips. I love that thing. My reasonable priced 1911's have been good to me.

Bad thing is, now I have the .45 bug. 2 1911's and a CW45 (which I've been carrying a lot), and..... bought an XDs over the weekend. 100 flawless rounds so far. This thing might become my primary carry after a few more rounds. Gotta get used to that trigger though. It's good but different than the Kahr. Fiber optic sight is excellent and it is as thin as my CM9.

gb6491
03-11-2013, 09:48 PM

I don't hang there. Never even been there. I don't know. Lot of BBQ guys over there?
There are some, but they're also a lot of folks who shoot their "schmancy thousand dollar and up Dan Kimber Wesson Jerry Springer Wilson Colt Combat models out there everyone brags about" hard and often.
You'll also find some folks there that practice the reverse BBQ bigotry thing (which is just as insufferable).

Congrats on your new 1911 JohnR:)
There's at least one fella on the 1911 forum that likes his Turk: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=387452

Regards,
Greg

yqtszhj
03-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Hey JohnR, that link Greg posted is good. The pics of that one looks nice for the price. Let us know how it shoots.

JohnR
03-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Good thread, thanks. I think I joined that forum a year or two ago, or it might have been another 1911 forum. Haven't posted anything other than newbie questions.

JFootin
03-12-2013, 07:35 AM
That gun looks impressive in that thread. Here is his range report:

Girsan MC1911S mini range report
Well on my lunch break I swung by the Wally World and picked up a box of 230g fmj wwb. I am lucky enough that where I live I can step into my backyard and shoot pretty much whatever I please. So after I get home from work I grab the Girsan 1911 (remember other than cleaning out the packing grease and properly oiling it, it is straight out of the box) and head out to my make shift range. Now I know that I only put 50 rds down range, but they were 50 flawless rounds. So far this gun just plain runs! 8rds, 8+1, two hand grip, one hand grip, attempting to limp wrist, etc. it didn't matter to the Girsan. No ftl's, FTF, fte, etc. I don't know how Turkish sewing machines work, but if they work like this gun then The saying stands.
Tonight I'm going to strip it, clean it, and polish the feed ramp.

Just wondering, how much would it cost to add an ambidextrous safety? How hard is that to install?

jlottmc
03-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Just wondering, how much would it cost to add an ambidextrous safety? How hard is that to install?

Not much, and not hard (at least after you've done it a time or two). I would opt for better sights at the very least.

JohnR
03-12-2013, 07:54 PM
As someone in the 1911 forum said, Bud's ships these things through a wormhole. I checked the status online and it's already been delivered to my FFL. My heart's all a-flutter in anticipation!

JohnR
03-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Judging only by my non-1911 experience, this is a very nice gun. The trigger is a little gritty, but I haven't cleaned it or broken it in yet, so there's hope.

If roll marks upset you, this is your gun. Just clean smooth skin from muzzle to slide serrations.

The ProMags I bought fit perfectly, I'll check cycling of snap caps after I clean it.

The grips are workmanlike, nothing special. Bawanna could do better ones in his sleep. And the sights will need a dab of paint if not total replacement, assuming I can find some that fit the dovetails.

It came with a nice plastic case, operating manual in Turkish and English (Turkish first, and much of the English is comically misspelled - "cold forget steel"), a complete cleaning kit (brush, mop, and stick for your patches) and a small bottle of oil, and one magazine.

Pics and specs:

Bawanna
03-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Looks nice. I dig that wide spur hammer, I have a fetish for stag and wide spur hammers.

Give me a little time, I'll take care of that grip situation. I sleep every night so I should be able to handle it.

I have several 1911's and I'm still a bit jealous. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors 1911 and all that don't cha know?

JohnR
03-14-2013, 04:37 PM
It's not a sin to covet 1911s. Now, Glocks on the other hand... That's just plain wrong. :;

MW surveyor
03-14-2013, 05:25 PM
It looks............................................. ..............................................like a 1911. :)

jocko
03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Looks nice. I dig that wide spur hammer, I have a fetish for stag and wide spur hammers.

Give me a little time, I'll take care of that grip situation. I sleep every night so I should be able to handle it.

I have several 1911's and I'm still a bit jealous. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors 1911 and all that don't cha know?

depends n the neighbors wife:Amflag2: don't cha know??? Just sayin:yo:

I think my first wife COVETED every fokking neighbor within 15 miles and I never seen a damn 1911 in my house. I should have had over 500 of them.Some of this could be hear say to, maybe only 450. Just sayin

Salty
03-15-2013, 04:14 PM
JohnR - congratulations - that is a nice clean looking 1911. JMB would be smil'in down on it.

JohnR
03-18-2013, 06:39 AM
First range trip, 100 rounds of Atlanta Arms (the only thing the range allows). One failure to return to battery - it was about 1/8" shy of the slide closing all the way, one tap and it closed. And on the 100th round, the slide failed to lock open. Not too worried, just break-in issues right?

The grip screws loosened themselves too, should have checked their tightness before shooting, lesson learned.

It was pure joy to shoot, super comfortable in my hands, dead-on accurate even with the dinky GI sights, which I'd dabbed white paint on. The lighting in the range sucks, and I barely saw the white. But my accuracy and grouping were the best I've ever done!

Next time I'll try one-handed, point shooting, and SD type drills.

I see how JMB's jewel can be addicting, and they come in different sizes...

JohnR
03-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Oh, here is my Lt. Owen Baggett memorial target. He's the B-24 co-pilot who had bailed out of his plane, was strafed by a Zero as he parachuted down, and shot down the Zero with his 1911.

downtownv
03-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Gotta hold the butter though, trying to cut back on polyurathane saturated fats and gluttens.

Straight red meat for me.

Just as tasty if you brush it with a lightly seasoned olive oil!;)

DeaconKC
03-18-2013, 06:14 PM
John, your two failures sound like a weak recoil spring. Get A Wolff replacement from Midway or Brownell's. Also, make sure that you have a little grease on the rails or some Outer's Gunslick. And if you haven't already joined the "Brotherhood of the Recoil Plug in the Ceiling", you will eventually!

jocko
03-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Oh, here is my Lt. Owen Baggett memorial target. He's the B-24 co-pilot who had bailed out of his plane, was strafed by a Zero as he parachuted down, and shot down the Zero with his 1911.

never really ever confirmed but one hellof a great story though.:amflag:

I only doubt this in fear of what our colonel wold do with this story. Oh my a 45 downing a Japanese figthter plane, geez I just can't imagine the carnage we would hear if this was proven true. Us poor 9mm guys would not stand a chance:Amflag2:

The article I read was he was shooting an experimental 1911 9mm and not a 435 ad that is why ost of his rounds were in the plane an not still flying in the air TODAY even. Just sayin:Amflag2:

gb6491
03-18-2013, 09:20 PM

The article I read was he was shooting an experimental 1911 9mm and not a 435 ad that is why ost of his rounds were in the plane an not still flying in the air TODAY even. Just sayin.
I'm guessing that article started out "Once upon a time..."
Seems he only needed four rounds of .45 to get the job done...http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/1996/July%201996/0796valor.aspx

jimsea
03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/1996/July%201996/0796valor.aspx

Great story Greg. Thanks for the link.

JohnR
03-21-2013, 08:31 AM
WWII aviator stories begin with "There I was..."

Ol'coot
04-23-2013, 01:06 PM
John,

I just place my order at Bud's for one of the Girsan MC1911S-G2 .45ACP 5" Sport w/Tac Rail (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_1171/products_id/411552652). How is your gun running now that you have had it for a while?

JohnR
04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
200 rounds, the only issue has been with one of my three Pro Mag aftermarket mags. It's super accurate in my hands, shoots great. I love this 1911. I see yours has higher profile sights, it would be nice to see if I can replace my GI sights with those; it's my only complaint but a minor one.

muggsy
04-23-2013, 01:55 PM
WWII aviator stories begin with "There I was..."

And sea stories start out, "Now this ain't no sh!t." :)

O'Dell
04-23-2013, 04:20 PM
I only doubt this in fear of what our colonel wold do with this story. Oh my a 45 downing a Japanese figthter plane, geez I just can't imagine the carnage we would hear if this was proven true. Us poor 9mm guys would not stand a chance:Amflag2:
:

You never did have a chance.

Anyway why is everyone surprised? Most of our fighters in WWII and even Korea had four, six, or eight Browning 50 cal guns. The only difference is .05 inch. :D

I don't know if the story is true or not, but I checked my safe this afternoon, and all five 1911's were standing taller. BTW, they're all 45's.

Bawanna
04-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Well I took Gregs link to my bank and they are giving me interest on it so it must be true.

Ol'coot
04-23-2013, 04:58 PM
200 rounds, the only issue has been with one of my three Pro Mag aftermarket mags. It's super accurate in my hands, shoots great. I love this 1911. I see yours has higher profile sights, it would be nice to see if I can replace my GI sights with those; it's my only complaint but a minor one.

John,

Thanks for the quick reply , I am excited and can wait to get it and take it out to the range.

Ol'coot
05-18-2013, 07:28 PM
John,

Thanks for the quick reply , I am excited and can wait to get it and take it out to the range.

John,

A little update on my Grisan 1911. I finally was able to find 100 rounds of 230gr FMJ 45 ACP and took my new toy to the range this morning. It ran flawlessly and is damn accurate. I am very please and think this gun is a real deal at less than $440 delivered.

TheTman
05-18-2013, 07:48 PM
The Turks have been making a guns a long time, I don't doubt that you have a nice 1911 there. The Beretta Cougars are now Stoegers made in Turkey, and I've not heard any horror stories about them.

Glock Holiday
05-18-2013, 08:25 PM
My Yildiz over and under shotgun was made in Turkey and the fit and finish are top notch.