PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an OWB level 2 retention holster for the p380 with CT Laserguard

JoelF
04-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Title says it all. Does anyone make one? Level 2 retention is critical to me as I will be carrying the pistol on a belt while biking and running.

Thanks in advance.

chrish
04-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Never seen one. I suspect a custom job will be in order and you'd probably be the only person on the planet w/ one :-)

You might try Garrett Industries. They offer P380 holsters, do custom work, and offer a a level 2 design. Maybe they could throw one together for the P380, but it'll be thick. Wouldn't want to run w/ one, biking maybe.

Are you concerned w/ it falling out if you take a spill? That's be the only reason I can think of to want a level 2 under an activity like running/biking. Something like a Remora or a StickyHolster...or even a normal old adjustable tension kydex offering from PJHolsters, CompTac, etc would be more than adequate to keep it from jostling around.

JoelF
04-10-2013, 08:29 PM
I was hoping to avoid custom but looks like I'll have to go that route.

I take some big hits on the bike from time to time. Hopefully wrecks aren't a factor on the road bike but it comes with the territory mountain biking. I'm not comfortable with friction retention even with an adjustable retention screw system. It's not inconceivable that the pistol could come out and I wouldn't be aware of it. Not a good situation...

chrish
04-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Yea, I agree it'd be possible. But some of the better adjustable brands like CompTac can be tighted down to the point that it wouldn't come out even in the worst spill, but then again, it also wouldn't come out when you attempted to draw it...also not good. I had a CompTac Infidel for awhile for my P9 and it would tighten to the point that you couldn't draw it at all, no way, no how...but like I said, not really useful if you can't get the damn thing out.

Very interesting problem. But off hand, I cannot think of a brand that offers any kind of spring release locking mechanism for anything small like the Kahrs, much less something like that where it'd be decent to carry as well. The Garrett stuff is super nice, but the combo of leather/kydex and the top locking mechanism (meant for like a 1911 or duty gun) would just (IMO) be absolutely huge for carrying in your particular scenario (biking/running). But maybe it'd, you never know.

Problem w/ custom like this, unless you get a really considerate vendor, not likely to be able to return it if it totally doesn't work for you...and that gets expensive.

Too bad Kahr frames don't have a lanyard loop in your case. That'd be a possible way to go here. Good adjustable tension holster like a kydex, comptac, etc. to cover the trigger and allow easy access if needed. Then the lanyard to prevent it from going missing w/o you knowing it. That might be an idea, the bottom/back of the grip is open...possible drill a hole up far enough to secure a lanyard?

JoelF
04-10-2013, 09:15 PM
It would be hard to imagine a lanyard that wouldn't get in the way if I had to draw the pistol. Maybe there's a better solution that I haven't thought of yet. Need to brainstorm a bit.

There are millions of people out for a run or a bike ride every day that would benefit from a well-designed solution. Seems like a good opportunity for someone. With the recent popularity of .380 pocket guns I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be an athlete-friendly solution. Runners and bikers get assaulted way too often, and the fact that 99.9% of the time they are unarmed makes them easy targets...

JFootin
04-11-2013, 06:20 AM
How do you dress during those activities? Do you always wear a belt?

As long as you are wearing a belt, the Sneaky Pete Holster (http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/) is a good solution. It is OWB, yet provides concealment because it looks like a PDA case. It can be ordered with belt clip(s) for fast on/off, or with belt loop(s) for more security. It stays closed using magnets so there is no velcro ripping sound when opening it. The gun sits muzzle down in it for a natural draw. And you could find use for it on dressier occasions, too.

JoelF
04-13-2013, 12:22 PM
How do you dress during those activities? Do you always wear a belt?

Yes. I carry a fanny pack with my tools and spare tubes. The belt for that pack is what I plan to attach the holster to. One additional issue is that pack has a nylon snap buckle which I cannot thread through most traditional belt loops, so I will need a quick clip mount or snap belt loops.

As long as you are wearing a belt, the Sneaky Pete Holster (http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/) is a good solution. It is OWB, yet provides concealment because it looks like a PDA case. It can be ordered with belt clip(s) for fast on/off, or with belt loop(s) for more security. It stays closed using magnets so there is no velcro ripping sound when opening it. The gun sits muzzle down in it for a natural draw. And you could find use for it on dressier occasions, too.

Not a bad option, and possibly the only one that would allow for some degree of concealment. It would look a little odd to see a biker with a cell phone case on their hip, but I doubt many folks would suspect that it's a holster. My concerns are the retention of the magnet and friction design, and the durability of the leather construction. I ride several thousand miles a year, so it would see a lot of wear. The tradeoff may be more comfort compared to a kydex design, and it's not so expensive that I couldn't replace it each season.

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else have any ideas?

chrish
04-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Given that you are carrying a pack already, have you considered other pack type solutions that A) are built for concealed carry and B) could accommodate both your tool/tube case and the weapon. I'm thinking something from MaxPedition or similar.

Also, if you do find something like that, you could consider a kydex trigger guard although I cannot find one right this moment that fits the P380. I'm talking about something like the Raven Concealment Vanguard (there is another brand out there too, but I cannot remember it offhand). There are similar 'neck' holsters as well, again, need to find one for the P380. But basically, I'm thinking lashing the holster or trigger guard inside the pack and when you draw, it'd just pull off. But the gun is then secured inside a pack, trigger covered, and draw not too adversely impacted by having to have a full holster on it while in the pack.

dunno. just a thought. trying to think creatively here.

Basically this...or something like it. Remove the chain, put a grommet on each side of the holster in front of the trigger guard and maybe above the sights to get 'even' lash points. Then tie it down inside a pack.

http://www.kahr.com/P380-Holsters/Kahr-Neck-Chain-Holster-for-P380.asp

JoelF
04-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks chrish for the creative thinking as I imagine that's what it will take to find a solution. I'm having trouble finding anything that I think would work on the MaxPedition site. I don't need a ton of room for the basic tools I carry and two spare tubes, and smaller is better for my needs. I've found that the fanny pack works well in my riding position; I certainly couldn't carry anything in front of my hip. If you can point me towards anything you think would work I'd appreciate it, and I'll keep searching around too.

I had a thought today that for biking I may be better off with a holster on the bike frame itself. That would be a completely different holster as I would likely want it on the top tube or possibly the headtube. Level 2 retention would be a must if I go that route, especially on the mountain bike. Of course this wouldn't address a carry solution for running, where I was thinking of attaching a holster to my water belt...

chrish
04-15-2013, 09:09 PM
The MaxPedition were the only ones I thought of off-hand. But there are plenty of 'concealed carry' fanny pack options out there. Just Google 'concealed carry fanny pack' and you'll get more than you'll have time to check into. Many of them are really 'creepy old guy in black socks', but there are a good number that are more 'outdoorsy' that would work.

BTW, the neck holster I had seen w/ the grommets already in place, ready to be lashed inside a pack WAS in fact a Raven, I just didn't look hard enough.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/other-holsters/neck-holster/other-holsters-neck-holsters

Drop some paracord thru the holes above/below the barrel and lash it inside (or outside) your fanny pack, then zip it shut. You have tension/kydex to protect the trigger (critical) and zipped closed in case you take a dive (hopefully never, ouch). Then, again hopefully never, if you have to draw...you pull and leave the holster behind dangling by the paracord.

I'm actually thinking this might be a better solution for me too. My P9 goes w/ me backpacking/hiking and I could lash it inside the top of my backpack where I could crossdraw above my left shoulder. Or in my waist pack, like you are thinking. Maybe. Dunno. Wish I still had my CompTac Infidel to try it out, but I sold it when I switched to IWB w/ a Remora holster.

JFootin
04-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Chrish, how did you post that hot link? What browser are you using? Most of us have been forced to use Chrome to be able to post at all, and we are limited to simple text with no hot links, pictures or even smilies.

chrish
04-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Chrish, how did you post that hot link? What browser are you using? Most of us have been forced to use Chrome to be able to post at all, and we are limited to simple text with no hot links, pictures or even smilies.

I'm having to post everything thru Chrome right now. I'm also having the IE issue (Windows 8, IE 10) and getting the 'message too short' error.

JFootin
04-16-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm having to post everything thru Chrome right now. I'm also having the IE issue (Windows 8, IE 10) and getting the 'message too short' error.

Well, I can post using Chrome, but the tools menu above the post edit box is deactivated, as are the smilies. So I cannot post a hot link, a picture or a smily. I wonder why you can?

chrish
04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Well, I can post using Chrome, but the tools menu above the post edit box is deactivated, as are the smilies. So I cannot post a hot link, a picture or a smily. I wonder why you can?

Odd. I'm in Chrome, on Windows 8. Chrome 'about' shows version 26.0.1410.64, but Chrome is suppose to always be up-to-date, or I thought that was the case What version do you have? Anyway, not to hijack this thread, but I've got full post toolbars and stuff via Chrome. Go figure.

newCW45guy
05-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Remora... http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=OWB%2D2ART

Thumbsnap option $7.50...

Mothers Day sale use code mother20 to save 20%