PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken Massad Ayoob's Mag 40 class

AIRret
04-14-2013, 06:01 AM
My husband and I have signed up for Massad Ayoob's Mag 40 class (in June) and I was wondering if anyone else has taken it and if so give me some feedback.
Thanks

Barth
04-15-2013, 07:52 AM
My husband and I have signed up for Massad Ayoob's Mag 40 class (in June) and I was wondering if anyone else has taken it and if so give me some feedback.
Thanks

I haven't, but would like to someday.
If you go please post a review.
The guy is a living legend and responds to GATE: Self Defense questions on GlockTalk.
I very much respect his thoughts and experience.

I did attend a two day defensive handgun live fire course by Andy Stanford years ago.
The course was outstanding and I highly recommend it.

AIRret
04-15-2013, 11:41 AM
The class will be held June 13 - 16 and it includes 40 hours of instruction. I hope my body can handle it!!
I'm sure I'll learn a lot and I will post a review of the class.

If "Lord" forbid, I'm involved in a shooting I think taking classes will show that I don't take carrying a gun lightly.

Barth
04-15-2013, 04:44 PM
The class will be held June 13 - 16 and it includes 40 hours of instruction. I hope my body can handle it!!
I'm sure I'll learn a lot and I will post a review of the class.

If "Lord" forbid, I'm involved in a shooting I think taking classes will show that I don't take carrying a gun lightly.

Thanks in advance for the review!
As for being involved in a shooting?
I too hope none of us ever end up in harms way.

But if we do?
Repeat after me;
"I was in fear for my life and couldn't escape."
"I would like my lawyer present before answering any detailed questions."

Take Care and enjoy your training.

AIRret
04-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks Barth, will do!

RRP
04-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Thanks

I replied to your thread 24 hours ago, but my post has disappeared. Odd.

Anyway....

I can't offer any feedback, but I will be watching this thread closely. I'm registered for MAG-40 in August.

jocko
04-15-2013, 05:49 PM
I replied to your thread 24 hours ago, but my post has disappeared. Odd.

Anyway....

I can't offer any feedback, but I will be watching this thread closely. I'm registered for MAG-40 in August.

lotta odd things happening on thsi forum of late. I can't post any smilies for sum reason. Just sayin

downtownv
04-15-2013, 05:57 PM
lotta odd things happening on thsi forum of late. I can't post any smilies for sum reason. Just sayin

Amen Brother, for some strange reason you've spelled/typed 94% of you words
correctly! Something is indeed, not right!
Jocko, I can't add any pics for you :(

RRP
06-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Inquiring minds want to know. How did you like MAG-40?

AIRret
06-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Hey RRP, I finally (I messed up and couldn't log on) gave my review on a new thread, called Mag 40.

By the way, I shot a CZ SP 01 tactical. I'm second generation American and CZ was started where my Ancestors are from. Makes it a little sentimental.

Alfonse
06-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Love my SP 01. I predict there is one in your future.

AIRret
06-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Yes, I bought the sp 01 tactical in Fed.
It sure is a straight shooter. I love it!!!! After I bought mine, my husband and step son also bought one. Great gun!

AIRret
06-23-2013, 05:53 PM
OK, since the new thread for Mag 40 did not take off, I copied and will post my review here!

Sorry this has taken so long. I'm hopeless with the computer and since the malware incident I haven't been able to log on.
I'm going to paste my review of Mag 40 here and if you want more details or have any questions I will do my best to answer them.

Mag 40 review.
Sorry this has taken so long but I've had trouble getting back onto the forum.
I had high expectations for this class and I wasn't disappointed!!!
It was four very, very long days and it was mentally intense (my orthopedically challenged body is still recovering).
We were kept so busy we even ate our lunches at our desks.
Each day includes both lectures and shooting.
The lectures covered many CCW, legal, and the emotional effects involved in defending
yourself with a gun. Massad Ayoob has an amazing knowledge of the ins and outs of CCW.
Some of the topics covered are; what makes a shooting justified (with court examples), and
how will you make that split second decision. How to interact with other witnesses, and the police.
The courts, trial and society. Finical outcome and emotions you will likely have to deal with……
Massad is a passionate dedicated and brilliant teacher, you'll love learning from him.
The shooting portion involved;
Detailed instruction on grip, he teaches the crush grip, but he also covers other grips and gives
reasons for each.
Detailed instruction in Stance; weaver, chapman and isosceles.
One hand shooting, strong and weak, and shooting from various body positions.
To complete the course you have to pass a written test and a police qualifying course.
I'm happy to report that I did well on the written portion and scored 290 out of 300 on the
police qualifying course.
Some things I would suggest you have for the class;
Electronic earmuffs. We bought Howard leight pro impact muffs and we were very happy with them.
I wouldn't have wanted to take the class without them, they were that important to me.
BUG…. spray
Rain gear (although we got lucky and had no rain)
Pack great lunches, you'll be glad you did.
In summary this was one of the best courses I've ever taken, I can't recommend it enough.

To clarify, the physical portion of the coarse is not "seal" training but it is tough if you've had two back surgeries and messed up hands like me. However, the effort is worth it!!

RRP
06-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks for your feedback, AIRret. I really appreciate it. I am reassured to know that my money will be well spent.

I've watched Ayoob's videos, over and over again. But they date back quite a few years. I wondered if he still insisted on "crush grip" (thumbnail over thumbprint), or if he now accepts the more contemporary Leatham-Enos grip (thumbs forward grip).

Can you elaborate on that? Did he allow shooters to use the LE grip?

BTW, congratulations on some great shooting!

AIRret
06-24-2013, 02:32 AM
Thanks for your feedback, AIRret. I really appreciate it. I am reassured to know that my money will be well spent.

I've watched Ayoob's videos, over and over again. But they date back quite a few years. I wondered if he still insisted on "crush grip" (thumbnail over thumbprint), or if he now accepts the more contemporary Leatham-Enos grip (thumbs forward grip).

Can you elaborate on that? Did he allow shooters to use the LE grip?

BTW, congratulations on some great shooting!

He did go over both grips and he explained the reasons behind each, but he did not insist on one or the other. He was more interested in having us try both.
I did change my grip a little and it does seem more secure. Plus I've begun to shoot out of the chapman stance with my strong side leg a little further back
and that has improved my accuracy.
You'll love the class and Mas is a person you'll never forget. He not only knows shooting but he knows the law and how to apply it.
Oh, and a side benefit, his lectures are anything but boring.

RRP
06-24-2013, 03:16 AM
Thanks for your reply, AIRret. I value your feedback.

How many students does he enroll in the class? Does he have other instructors assisting him?

As I read your post, I see a typo in my description of crush grip. It should be thumbprint over thumbnail, not the other way around.

AIRret
06-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Thanks for your reply, AIRret. I value your feedback.

How many students does he enroll in the class? Does he have other instructors assisting him?

As I read your post, I see a typo in my description of crush grip. It should be thumbprint over thumbnail, not the other way around.

I knew what you meant when you described the grip, so no problem there.

There were 34 students in the class, which included Lawyers, a Doctor, engineers college students and everything in between.

At the range half of the class would shoot while the other half reloaded their magazines (with only 6 rounds each to make it fair for those shooting revolvers).

Mas had 6 assistent instructors. The assistents were there for safety as well as for correcting the students technique.

RRP
06-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Wow, a large group, but it sounds like he has the resources to address student needs.

I appreciate your feedback, AIRret. I am looking forward to my class, more than ever.

AIRret
06-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Wow, a large group, but it sounds like he has the resources to address student needs.

I appreciate your feedback, AIRret. I am looking forward to my class, more than ever.

When I heard about the size of the group I was a little surprised. But he made sure everyone got the help they needed and the assistant instructors were right
there watching everything. Since half the group is reloading while the other half is shooting there is just over two students on the line to every instructor.