PDA

View Full Version : Should Kahr make a limited run of T-45's

DMR
04-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Dear taxifolia,

Just wanted to make sure Kahr keeps a T-45 on the list. I previously posted what I hoped it would look like:

I may end up selling off my Kimber for a second TP-45, but I'm hoping Kahrgirl and company will spring a T-45 on us with the following perks by SHOT:

1. 8 round mag's. My TP Mags are the same size as the 8 shot 1911 mags, change the follower and make them work please
2. Heinie or Warren two dot Night Sights
3. Make it availible with the rubber grips also(I could use a set for my T-9 while you're at it).
4. Steel base plate with provisions to mount one of the mag bumper pads like CP or just include the bumpers. 10-8 makes a good example for the M&P Line:

Say 200? I will preorder 1

at_liberty
04-13-2010, 06:37 AM
This doesn't make sense to me. I got the T9 early on and then the T40 immediately after its release. It is the T40 that I really wanted originally. I already had a 1911 Govt, and if I was going to shoot 45 as heavy as a T45 would be, I would rather have a 1911. A Kimber hybrid with aluminum frame would be even lighter.

I expect that one familiar with a 1911 would agree. I certainly get the TP45 as a meaningful model, lighter, more compact, and less expensive than a premium 1911.

The point is that the T40 is barely concealable as it is, due mostly to grip length and bulk. The .40 S&W round is better for concealment because it allows one more round than one would have in a .45 at comparable grip length. Talk of mag extensions is just silly frankly, missing the whole point of Kahr pistols. They don't need to be 1911 wannabees.

Since demand for T9s and T40s was apparently rather low, never really catching on, I would be surprised if the company thought a T45 would be a good idea. We already see that distributors either don't carry these fringe models or that Kahr never does a follow up production run for a model with low sales numbers.

I think the focus will or should be on the TP45, because it provides a contrast to the 1911, lighter weight, a slimmer profile, and cheaper than a comparably nice 1911. Once moving away from the polymer frame of the TP45, the price point moves too high. The gun is heavy and falls out of the favorites list of guns to carry concealed. It can't be a target gun because it wouldn't be competitive with the single action 1911. A .45 ACP shooter is then more likely to want a real 1911.

at_liberty
04-13-2010, 07:55 AM
I just noticed the lack of activity in the TP series subforum. I think that's where the .45 ACP interest has to develop before there would be any hope of seeing a T45.

The TP45 is the model that makes the most sense to me for a .45 ACP Kahr. Before buying one, I suggest a person be sure about where they are going to get ammo and how much they will have to pay for it. Shop around today as if you were going to buy .45 ACP range ammo and tell us what you found.

I don't see a TP45 providing a single advantage over .40 S&W (TP40). There are some real disadvantages, one of which is one fewer rounds in the .45 mag. The .40 ammo is cheaper and easily located at good prices.

Chuck54
04-17-2010, 07:16 PM
sign me up for either a K45 or T45

jlottmc
04-18-2010, 01:55 PM
The T45 wouldn't be a wanna be 1911. Those are two different platforms entirely. The T45 market would be to those who prefer a DAO type weapon, by either department policy or personal reasons. No more no less. I would be interested in both of those. And the advantages of a 45 are not in the round count area...see 40 vs 45 argument...

at_liberty
04-19-2010, 07:53 AM
The T45 wouldn't be a wanna be 1911. Those are two different platforms entirely. The T45 market would be to those who prefer a DAO type weapon, by either department policy or personal reasons. No more no less. I would be interested in both of those. And the advantages of a 45 are not in the round count area...see 40 vs 45 argument...
Well come on...you are not debating but rather dismissing my attempt to participate while providing no logic or support for your assertions. We are entitled to our opinions but not our own facts. Let's not be so dismissive.

What "department" uses Kahr pistols with no safety?

In terms of Kahr, I think there is no real 40 v 45 argument other than round count. 10mm exists because 9 mm is inadequate. .40 is a cut down 10mm to reduce the cannon overkill and grip width of the 10mm. .45 only comes into the picture when a person needs an excuse to buy another pistol. Good .45s already exist without Kahr's help. The .380 or 9mm short is a girly-man gun that is a backup at best because of size. Some use small guns as primary carry weapons, which is unfortunate if creating a false sense of security and bluster. How am I doing?

If one does prefer the .45, the Kahr design eliminates the protruding hammer and grip safety as well as the manual safety of the 1911, all to get a sleek, more readily concealable pistol without giving up firepower. In the process, it becomes double action by necessity, not preference.

To want to compare ballistics, 40 v 45, is trying to debate how many fairies will fit on the head of a pin. There is one good argument for .45 in that the rounds are usually not fast enough to create a sonic boom and terribly loud report. They are simply easier on unprotected ears, a common combat situation.

ripley16
04-19-2010, 09:45 AM
The market is already flooded with all types of proven .45acp platforms. Kahr could at best expect a tiny, minimal market share, if not a complete disaster, because the competition puts out some very nice pistols at, in some cases, very attractive price points.

Kahr has little to gain, much to lose, in building guns that will inevitably be compared to 1911s, Sigs, HKs, etc..

Kahr's market is the small CCW, thus the PM45 and even the P45 have much less competition and thrive in the market.

I doubt we'll ever see a K45 or T45. At least you have the polymers to slack your thirst. ;)

Bawanna
04-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Everyone please join me in singing kumbaya. :7: Perhaps a little breathing exercises and if needed some serious Hari Krishna chanting.
Everyone here has valid points by the way, guess we all have our own desires and wishes for something new. Usually just lack money, why does it always have to be about money?
In the immortal words of Jocko (yes again) they make em, they sell em, if I like em, I'll buy em. Words to live by.:cheer2:

jlottmc
04-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Well come on...you are not debating but rather dismissing my attempt to participate while providing no logic or support for your assertions. We are entitled to our opinions but not our own facts. Let's not be so dismissive.

What "department" uses Kahr pistols with no safety?

In terms of Kahr, I think there is no real 40 v 45 argument other than round count. 10mm exists because 9 mm is inadequate. .40 is a cut down 10mm to reduce the cannon overkill and grip width of the 10mm. .45 only comes into the picture when a person needs an excuse to buy another pistol. Good .45s already exist without Kahr's help. The .380 or 9mm short is a girly-man gun that is a backup at best because of size. Some use small guns as primary carry weapons, which is unfortunate if creating a false sense of security and bluster. How am I doing?

If one does prefer the .45, the Kahr design eliminates the protruding hammer and grip safety as well as the manual safety of the 1911, all to get a sleek, more readily concealable pistol without giving up firepower. In the process, it becomes double action by necessity, not preference.

To want to compare ballistics, 40 v 45, is trying to debate how many fairies will fit on the head of a pin. There is one good argument for .45 in that the rounds are usually not fast enough to create a sonic boom and terribly loud report. They are simply easier on unprotected ears, a common combat situation.

Ok the way I heard the origins of Kahr way back when goes something like this...Da man hisself wanted a pistol that was similar to a Glock, but smooth like a Sig. Couldn't find it on the market and so made something. He then thought single stack would have less problems feeding, then made them small. People thought he was on to something and thus the company was born. As for the departments 1 OFF DUTY carry 2 A Glock has exactly what safety externally? (here's some hint about that: the Glock 22 is in 86% or so of American Cops duty holsters, plus how do you make a Glock fire PULL THE F$#KING TRIGGER) 3 There are many security companies that will allow an individual to carry a Kahr (Bell Helicopters for one). And the 40 vs 45 part there are many (self included, and PD's as well Florida, Oregon, AZ have many) that feel the 45 is a better fight stopper than the 40. Masaad Ayoob works for one, they also issue a Ruger P345 and I believe that it is decocker only (which has been discontinued now from Ruger). And in case you are not familiar with the Sig...that only has a decocker on it, no manual safety. Also there are training firms (VA has one that I forget the name of) where their instructors carry what they like, guess what else they have on their hips...A TP45. Shall I go back and look through the materials I have for the throne of higher education to drive this home any farther or can I get off my soapbox now?

Bawanna
04-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Ok skip the breathing and Kumbaya, we're jumpin right into heavy duty Hari Krishna chanting. To each his own. Ugly is to the eye of the beholder. He ain't heavy, (well I guess he could be heavy) he's my brother or sister. (hopefully it ain't a heavy sister).
The suns peaking thru, gonna be a fine day.
You don't have to step down off your soap box, I kicked it out from under ya to test your reflexes, that backward sommersault was A+ in my book. You done good weedhopper.

jlottmc
04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Sorry, got my dander up there. Thanks for keeping me knowledgeable though, and getting me to check my facts again.

cblambert1645
04-23-2011, 11:42 AM
I too would give up my 1911 for a t45. After finally getting the Kimber for the range & CW45 for daily concealed carry, I find I shoot the CW45 just as good with less muzzle flip & faster follow up shots. Weird for a gun that weighs less than 1/2 that of the 1911.
1911 mags will run in a Kahr 45, better actually than the Kahr mags that are what 45 bucks? I started with inexpensive Springfield factory compact mags that I bought for around $20, (let me know if you need some) just standard Metalform style officer stuff, then removed the follower, trimmed an 1/8" off the tail so I could barely stuff the 7th round in with the slide open to make it easier for 6+1 carry....and take a belt sander or file to the little bump. The nose of the follower needs tweeked slightly down as to not hang up the slide.
next around .100" of the feed lip at the most forward highest edge needs removed on the right side to clear the ejector...on the left side .030" needs to be removed to clear the slide rail. strip & remove the barrel the re install the slide, & mag & you'll see instantly what I mean. I can literally modify these mags in in minutes. The result will be a better functioning mag, steel flush mag floor plate that will except a proper bump if need be thats not finicky (I cant get mine to stop running now) that can still inter chance with a officer 1911 & no cheap plastic mag floor plate that would break if hit right on a hard floor & be USELESS. After alot of measuring & checking cw45 has a really tight chamber with steep sharp leade. This prevents the use of some (Hornady 200grn XTP- my favorite load) from chambering fully- and locks 'er up tight if tried. So Im using Winchester 185 silvertips & Federal 185 JHC with good results as the bullets ogive is seated closer to the case mouth. Lastly, the extension tail on the bottom of the slide that strips rounds from the mag, needs re-contoured & polished smooth, the dang thing is so sharp that it will plow brass from the top cartridge in the mag- especially with the overly strong spring of the Kahr Mag- if you keep it do yourself a favor & trim a coil off the spring. After all of that My cw if awesome gun & wish ther was a big brother with the durability & heft of Stainless steel for my range gun for Action Pistol & IDPA events. Sign me up!

Dear taxifolia,

Just wanted to make sure Kahr keeps a T-45 on the list. I previously posted what I hoped it would look like:

Say 200? I will preorder 1

jlottmc
04-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Now having purchased another commander (I had all but forgotten how sexy those are), I would still buy a T45, a K45 and an MK45, and laugh all the way home. I may end up with a TP45 and the 40's when my boat comes in, but right now, I'm going to take a little breather, then work on the long gun side of my battery.

TonyT
06-20-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm with at_liberty, the T-40 is about as large as i wuld go for a carry pistol. Personally I carried a G-36 in 45ACP before the PM-45 was announced. I finally opted for the concealment capability of the PM-9 but I do shoot a T-9 for fun and have it either in the truck or at home.

JohnR
08-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Funny, I jumped onto KahrTalk just now to find evidence that has ever been or ever will be a T45 and this thread was in the new posts list.

I think a T45 would make a sleek, simple, and sweet shooting .45. What's not to like? It's a different animal than a 1911, not even close to a Glock 21/30/36, and not a Ruger with de-cocker and DA/SA. While not as concealable as the small .45s, it's smaller than a lot of guns people CC every day. Home defense, IDPA, or just plain fun!

jocko
08-16-2011, 01:20 PM
it's all about selling, and the TP or T 9 sucks in sales, so why does anyone think a T45 would sell more than a 9mm, which today is still the biggest selling caliber on the market..

A k45 would be super also, but IMO just ain't gonna happen. I do think we willsee a CM45 though.

wyntrout
08-16-2011, 04:38 PM
I wanted a K45 when I bought my K9 back in early 1998, I still want one! An all stainless .45 ACP with metal base, flush-fitting magazines. A P45 is nice, but I want the .45 equivalent of the K9... a K45... maybe two... one all black and one all stainless, Adjustable night sights would be nice, too.

I don't want any extra crap like safeties, or LCI's, or writing all over the gun... and certainly no danged LOCK!

Kahr could design the slide with serrations on the front AND their logo/name, too.

KISS!

Wynn:)

yqtszhj
08-16-2011, 06:33 PM
:hippie: :popcorn:

wyntrout
08-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Oh, the T-series is out of proportion to me... the grip is too long!

Wynn:)

JohnR
08-17-2011, 06:15 AM
Our LGS has a used S&W Chief's Special .45 that keeps beckoning to me. I've read good reviews of them, and it looks a lot like a K9 - stainless steel, black rubber grip that wraps around the palm side of the grip, pretty close in size. 6+1 if I'm not mistaken, like the Kahr .45s. But it's DA/SA with decocker. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just a different approach.

The idea that a .45 wouldn't sell seems strange to me. I thought it was an extremely popular caliber. Ruger can't make enough SR1911s to meet demand.

jlottmc
08-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Like I said, I'd buy one. I think it would be a rather elegant 45, large yes, but no worse than anything else on the market. That may even let some LE agencies (the kind that have the 1911 option) carry a pretty sweet set up. Also, I'd buy a 45 over a 9mm any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

frank_drebin
08-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Our LGS has a used S&W Chief's Special .45 that keeps beckoning to me. I've read good reviews of them, and it looks a lot like a K9 - stainless steel, black rubber grip that wraps around the palm side of the grip, pretty close in size. 6+1 if I'm not mistaken, like the Kahr .45s. But it's DA/SA with decocker. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just a different approach.

The idea that a .45 wouldn't sell seems strange to me. I thought it was an extremely popular caliber. Ruger can't make enough SR1911s to meet demand.

Those CS40's and CS45's are thick, stumpy suckers though. Very unbalanced in my opinion. I like the size of the CS9 better and wonder why S&W didn't make the 40 on the CS9 frame. One of my favorite 9mms is the 3913. When S&W introduced the 4013 people assumed it would be a 3913 framed 40. Not so.... Years later they tried a 3913 framed 40 called the 4040PD. It was scandium framed and expensive.

sorry.... I rambled.

JohnR
08-17-2011, 12:17 PM
S&W's numbering system drives me crazy.

Heck, I can always just buy a Glock 21... :behindsofa:

TheTman
08-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd like to see a K45, a little shorter handle with one less round, for better concealment. Doubt if I'll ever see one, but you never know. I'd bet a paycheck we'll see a CM45 before a T/K 45.

steve666
08-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Why a limited run and not make it a regular part of their product line???

Chuck54
08-19-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm still ready for either a T45 or K45.......sign me up

TonyDe
09-05-2011, 01:27 PM
K45 sign me up also!

DMR
10-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Why a limited run and not make it a regular part of their product line???

I suppose you could say any "T" series Kahr is limited production, since it appairs the T-9 is only being made to the tune of around a hundred a year.

At least now it's showing up in their marketing:
http://Kahr.com/PDF/ad2011_sexy.pdf

http://www.kahr.com/images/icons/ad2011_sexy.jpg

devildogxd
10-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I love my T9 and don't understand why they don't advertise and push it more. I do love this ad which I've never seen before. Who knows maybe they will start selling more which would be nice since that would give us a chance for lasers and grips etc.

DMR
01-17-2012, 01:51 PM
http://www.kahr.com/images/banners/KahrWebShot0112b-1.jpg
Salute

csman22
01-17-2012, 02:34 PM
my T-9 is great - I'd buy a T-45 in a heartbeat.
I'm on the cusp of getting a TP-45 but if I saw press release stating a T45 is scheduled for production...I'd plan for the purchase.

eltee
02-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Even though I have a Colt LW Commander, I prefer the 45 acp in steel I think an all steel Kahr 45 would be nice. Maybe a T45 with a P45 size steel grip. That would be all steel, 4 inch barrel with a reasonably concealable grip at less than 30 oz. I suppose they could do the same with a polymer frame also and have something compareable to a Colt CCO.

jlottmc
02-20-2012, 09:42 AM
http://www.kahr.com/images/banners/KahrWebShot0112b-1.jpg
Salute

And that picture is my desktop background now. If I could re-size and keep the quality I'd be a most happy camper. BTW, she needs to be holding at least a T40, but preferably a T45, then I will know I have died and gone to heaven.

jocko
02-20-2012, 09:57 AM
alittle lighten up on the deep red lipstick but otherwise she is getting better for me every day that I see here..

JFootin
02-20-2012, 10:40 AM
And that picture is my desktop background now. If I could re-size and keep the quality I'd be a most happy camper. BTW, she needs to be holding at least a T40, but preferably a T45, then I will know I have died and gone to heaven.

How's this?
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Misc/KahrGirl.jpg