PDA

View Full Version : PM 45 Firing Pin Primer Strike

tigwelder56
04-23-2013, 05:20 PM
I just took out my new pistol and in all my years I have never witnessed a primer strike like this before. I've only got 50 rounds through it so far and haven't had any problems at all, so I'm not complaining! Just curious to know if anyone has experienced a strike similar to mine? Thanks for any input!!

Well, evidently I can't post the photos I wanted to share with you, darn!! Best I can say is the strikes are normal with the exception of what looks like a crease next to the actual central FP dimple. Looks like it slid into position before striking the primer! Hopefully I'll be able to get full privileges soon! ;)

Bawanna
04-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Perfectly normal. I call it primer smear. The striker is draggin on the primer as it's on it's way out. Don't hurt a thing, a lot happening in a small space really fast. I think it's mentioned in the manual but don't recall.

But it is normal. Carry on.

tigwelder56
04-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Thank you Sir! I don't recall seeing it in the manual, I'll take another look. Don't need to because it makes perfect sense after you explained it. "Primer Smear"!! Makes it sound even more deadly.... ;P

sas PM9
04-24-2013, 02:10 PM
I just took out my new pistol and in all my years I have never witnessed a primer strike like this before. I've only got 50 rounds through it so far and haven't had any problems at all, so I'm not complaining! Just curious to know if anyone has experienced a strike similar to mine? Thanks for any input!!

Well, evidently I can't post the photos I wanted to share with you, darn!! Best I can say is the strikes are normal with the exception of what looks like a crease next to the actual central FP dimple. Looks like it slid into position before striking the primer! Hopefully I'll be able to get full privileges soon! ;)

TW:

Without seeing a picture of "your" primer smear it is difficult to say for sure whether it is normal or not. That said, primer smear is very common with striker fired weapons. My PM9 exhibits it as does my XD45.
You can do a search for the term "primer smear" in this forum and see several examples of what others have depicted and determine for yourself if yours is typical or not.
HTH
-steve

jocko
04-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Its stated in ur owner manual.....

tigwelder56
04-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to. Bawanna described it perfectly. Thanks!

97hmcs
04-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Note Regarding Primer Indent and Distorted
Spent Cases

Upon examining fired cases, you
may notice that the primer indent
appears distorted or elongated.
This is normal for the striker system
design of the KAHR pistols. You may also
notice that the spent case becomes slightly
deformed into the shape of a "D" instead of an
"O" shape. This is considered normal for the