PDA

View Full Version : Round in chamber

healey100
06-20-2013, 06:25 PM
With the PM9, should you carry a round in the chamber during concealed carry?

phil413tx
06-20-2013, 06:33 PM
I always carry a round in the chamber. As long as you have the trigger protected, you are fine! In a defensive situation, you don't want to have to chamber a round when split seconds count.

codegeek
06-20-2013, 06:36 PM
I always carry one in the chamber in my LCP. I was a little leary starting out with my CW9. The trigger was different, no safeties, yada yada yada. I am much more comfortable now and carry the CW9 hot and ready as well.

TucsonMTB
06-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Hail no! I always carry in Condition Butterscotch. ;)

8pU2IOTEZlU

gunshinestateCW9
06-20-2013, 08:05 PM

I always do but my cousin who cc's a pm9 doesn't. He says he doesn't trust striker type firearms with one in the chamber. I told him he is crazy. Funny thing is he's one of the smartest guys I know

wyntrout
06-20-2013, 08:34 PM
We've discussed this many times. if you want to carry an UNLOADED gun, have at it, but realize that there are MANY scenarios where you will NEVER have two hands to rack and actually LOAD your favorite "ROCK"... and that's what you'll have while you fend off some wacko with a knife or anything else who got inside your range to react to a close up attack. And there are other times where that will be a fatal delay or attract an immediate lethal response from a bad guy... no time outs for loading your pistol!:rolleyes:

I carry IWB and can use one hand to draw and fire without having to worry about getting a round into the chamber or taking a safety off.

The Kahr pistols will not fire unless you pull the trigger... AND have chambered a round!

Wynn:)

7shot
06-20-2013, 09:20 PM
We've discussed this many times. if you want to carry an UNLOADED gun, have at it, but realize that there are MANY scenarios where you will NEVER have two hands to rack and actually LOAD your favorite "ROCK"... and that's what you'll have while you fend off some wacko with a knife or anything else who got inside your range to react to a close up attack. And there are other times where that will be a fatal delay or attract an immediate lethal response from a bad guy... no time outs for loading your pistol!:rolleyes:

I carry IWB and can use one hand to draw and fire without having to worry about getting a round into the chamber or taking a safety off.

The Kahr pistols will not fire unless you pull the trigger... AND have chambered a round!

Wynn:)

Yes we have...everyone has there own reason they carry the way they do, and that's their decision. I carry my k9 loaded just for the reasons stated above. I've trained this way and it's the way I think will benefit me the most if SHTF.

chrish
06-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Definitely carry with a round in the chamber...and two on Sunday.

muggsy
06-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Every concealed carry pistol should be carried with a round in the chamber or it shouldn't be carried. Anyone who carries a gun with an unloaded chamber is on a fool's errand.

RRP
06-21-2013, 03:05 AM
It's not the way I choose to do it, but there are folks who carry an empty chamber.

I once took an instructor course from an old timer who was adamant that pistols should be carried with an empty chamber. He fielded the usual criticism from the instructor candidates in the room with thoughtful reasons why he had a differing view.

His rationale was:
1. The chances of having to use your carry pistol in self-defense are extremely slim. Carrying with a hot gun unnecessarily increases the safety risk of carrying.

2. He argued that with proper situational awareness, in the rare instance when one does need to use a handgun for self-defense, that one would have the time to chamber a round.

3. He argued that shot placement was critically important and the recent trend towards high capacity semi-auto pistols had shifted the focus away from accuracy and from training in general.

4. He argued that with training, one could chamber a round as part of one's draw-stroke, without adding significant time.

Anyone who can put two well-placed shots on the target in less than one second, starting with an empty chamber, earns my respect. He didn't change my practice, but he certainly made me think.

For anyone who is uncomfortable carrying a weapon with one in the spout, you may want to consider carrying a double-action revolver, with the hammer on an empty chamber. No slide to rack; simply pull the trigger to advance to a loaded chamber.

b4uqzme
06-21-2013, 06:32 AM
For anyone who is uncomfortable carrying a weapon with one in the spout, you may want to consider carrying a double-action revolver, with the hammer on an empty chamber. No slide to rack; simply pull the trigger to advance to a loaded chamber.

Makes sense. Prob'ly good advice if you really don't want to carry chambered.

jocko
06-21-2013, 06:41 AM
yup indeed carry a J frame with one emptycylinder and now ur down to 4 shots. Sure in the fokk makes sense to me. I probalby would even make the next cylinder hole empty to, just to cover my stupidity.

JFootin
06-21-2013, 08:16 AM
The striker on the Kahr pistol is only partially cocked when in the ready mode. There is also a striker block safety that doesn't release until the trigger is pulled. So, the gun won't fire if it is dropped. Everything about the pistol's design is so that it can be carried safely with one in the chamber. People used to carry older revolvers with the hammer over an empty chamber because they could go off if dropped. But with the addition of trigger safeties and transfer bars on modern revolvers, that precaution is eliminated. The Kahr pistols are designed with a long trigger pull similar to a DA revolver. So, I ask this question: would you feel like you needed to carry a modern revolver with an empty chamber?