View Full Version : New CM9

Linthead
06-28-2013, 08:53 AM
I was having withdrawal symptoms while my two month old P380 is at Kahr (broken striker) and picked up a new CM9 at Bull's Eye in Lawrenceville, GA. They had plenty of CM's, but no PM's.

IQ54## was clean and properly lubed out of the box, so I decided to try it as purchased. Fired 150 rounds yesterday, 50 of which were 20+ year old "Eagle" FMJ, with no malfunctions of any kind. The first pistol I learned to shoot (50+ years ago) was an officers model 1911 that my father brought back from WWII. It was too big / too heavy / kicked too hard for a runty kid, so I learned early on to get a good grip when shooting a pistol. Not sure I could "limp wrist" if I tried.

The only issue was loading the magazine; loading the 5th round was difficult and the 6th round was ridiculous. The uncompressed magazine spring is 6 inches long (13 coils) and it has to compress to less than an inch with a full magazine. Has anybody tried shortening the magazine spring on a PM/CM9?

Got a Recluse OS Solo holster and a couple of 7 round magazines on order. Anybody have a good way to carry an extra magazine or two? I am right handed, so the spare magazine(s) needs to be on the left side. My wallet goes in the left hip pocket, so that location is out. Maybe a horizontal belt pouch?

jocko
06-28-2013, 09:03 AM
leave the spring alone in time it iwll also take a pre designed set and u will be ok. In the mean time u can opt to do two thing. #1 buy the uplula loader, nuttin like it IMO. #2 load 5 rounds for range time and just shoot it like u stole it.

Bagstrap
06-28-2013, 10:22 AM
leave the spring alone in time it iwll also take a pre designed set and u will be ok. In the mean time u can opt to do two thing. #1 buy the uplula loader, nuttin like it IMO. #2 load 5 rounds for range time and just shoot it like u stole it.

I agree!! the uplula loader is the best!!! If you decide to go with the uplula, load the first round by hand and then use it for the rest to avoid damaging the follower.

getsome
06-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Hello Linthead and welcome to Kahrtalk from another Stone Mountain Ga. member....Been to Bulls Eye Lawrenceville many times and bought a couple of guns from them as well, real nice folks but a very busy crowded shop especially on the weekend....

For a spare mag holder I went to Bass Pro Shop and picked up a couple of their small size cordura belt knife holders...works great either on a belt or in your pocket and keeps the top round from falling out in your pocket which will happen with a Kahr mag if you carry it loose....Not fancy but the perfect size for PM/CM magazines and if worn on the belt the top flap with velcro closes so you can't tell it's a pistol magazine and not a small folding knife or if you prefer you can tuck in the flap and the mag will still slip in and be held tight and you have an open top for quick access....

Listen to ole Jocko there, he's our go to guru and will tell it to you straight...He's grouchy but don't bite much unless it's Sunday, thats when he puts his dentures in for Church....After 25 posts Kahrtalk will send out your very own Jocko decoder ring so you can read and decipher his posts beter but after a while you won't need it anymore...Again welcome aboard...:yo:

Buckshotshorty
06-28-2013, 11:50 AM
I don't know if you use this method or not, but it really helps a lot to have the base of the mag on a solid object such as a table or desk when your loading.

wyntrout
06-28-2013, 12:52 PM
HA! LONG magazine springs:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2203&stc=1&d=1281383605

That's the 8-round extended grip model K920G. The springs will take a set, but will still be strong! The MagUPLULA is the way to go, though.

Wynn:)

Linthead
06-28-2013, 01:33 PM
For a spare mag holder I went to Bass Pro Shop and picked up a couple of their small size cordura belt knife holders...works great either on a belt or in your pocket and keeps the top round from falling out in your pocket which will happen with a Kahr mag if you carry it loose....Not fancy but the perfect size for PM/CM magazines and if worn on the belt the top flap with velcro closes so you can't tell it's a pistol magazine and not a small folding knife or if you prefer you can tuck in the flap and the mag will still slip in and be held tight and you have an open top for quick access....

Getsome,

Thanks for the lead. I can't find the small size cordura belt knife holders on the BassPro website, but I will look around for something similar. I can't see the point of carrying concealed and then advertising the fact with exposed magazines.

Linthead
06-28-2013, 01:39 PM
HA! LONG magazine springs:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2203&stc=1&d=1281383605

That's the 8-round extended grip model K920G. The springs will take a set, but will still be strong! The MagUPLULA is the way to go, though.

Wynntrout,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the possibility of having the wrong spring.

Do you know the correct length / # of coils for a 6-round CM9 magazine? Neither Kahr nor Wolfe provide any details.

getsome
06-28-2013, 02:00 PM
My pleasure there Linthead....I went to the Discover Mills Bass Pro and in the knife sharpner section they have a big selection of Red Head brand cordura knife holders in all sizes...Take your magazines with you and find the best fit...I also bought several of the medium size that work great for 1911 single stack mags and the large size fits my M&P .40 double stack mags perfectly...

Again they aren't leather but they work as good or better than anything else I have tried and you can't beat the price....

About the magazine spring being strong, they really are but they need to be to get that next round up in place to feed since the slide speed on a small pistol like CM/PM is super fast...I would take your mags apart and clean them good and BE SURE the springs are installed with the correct end under the follower...There have been more than one new Kahr pistol that had FTF problems traced to the mag spring being installed the wrong way from the factory...(it happenes more than you think)...

I had such a hard time getting my magazines back together due to the spring being so strong I never took them apart again after making sure they were assembled correctly...I just spray them out with non chlorinated automobile brake cleaner every so often to keep them clean because they are too d@mn hard to put back together....

jocko
06-28-2013, 02:04 PM
a very easy way to re-install a mag spring or to even take the mag apart is touse the last hole on the magazine and insuert a nail through it. when taking it apart things willnot fly out and when reinstalling, just insert the follower and spring correctly and push up that spring as far as u ca and the slip a nail through that last hole and release. what escess sticks out is now a peace of cake to insert the floor plate and inside cover. the nail trick takes all the escess tension off that spring and makes putting together a magazine a breeze.

Ihave a new wolffs 5% extra strengthn mag spring in the package and it counts 14 coils. so my guess is a standard kahr spring is 13.

Linthead
06-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Ihave a new wolffs 5% extra strengthn mag spring in the package and it counts 14 coils. so my guess is a standard kahr spring is 13.

Jocko,

That makes sense, thanks!

jocko
06-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Jocko,

That makes sense, thanks!

I might add that I use the 5% spring and have no issues with full loading it, once the spring took its set. I don't even use the uplula anymore, but I do many times at the range load one round short just because it is easier to do..

wyntrout
06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
The length will change... shorten when it takes a set... which is part of the design. Don't shorten new springs!

Here are the Kahr 9mm springs. I'm not TOTALLY sure that there isn't a Wolff +5% or so spring in with these.

I counted loops on each side, so just be consistent when comparing springs... number of coils, not length!

jocko
06-28-2013, 03:49 PM
nice photos wyn..

wyntrout
06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Here are some more pictures of 9mm springs. The top one is of PM9 magazine springs with varying sets in the top two and practially none in the lower.

The next is of three PM9 7-rounder springs the top two Wolff with lower having taken a set. The bottom spring hasn't really taken a set and is original.

Linthead
06-28-2013, 05:23 PM
As Arte Shaw said, "Very Interesting!"

otium
06-28-2013, 05:25 PM
For a spare 6rd cm9 magazine, I use a knife pouch on my belt.

The one I use is a medium pouch made from Rainbow of California dot com. It takes like a week to get one from them directly, and you may be able to find other examples at other places.

In the past I have seen them at the rei brick and mortar store, but honestly I have not been in that store in at least a year, so ymmv.

This pouch fully covers all the shiny bits and does not draw attention to itself.

Its size is listed as; 4 3/8" L X 2 11/16" W

I would imagine anything in this general size will work fine for you.

JFootin
06-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the forum, Linthead! :) There is a wealth of valuable information in the New Member Area (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56) and the Kahr-Tech (http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27) sections of the forum.

And welcome to the CM9 Owners Club! :D Our official symbol is the wide grin smily because we are so happy with our purchase that we can't wipe the smiles off our faces!

Here is your club badge.
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Smilies/BigSmily.jpg

The best holster I have found for forget-it-is-there comfort 24/7 with my CM9 is the PJ IWB Holster (http://pjholster.com/?page_id=37). There are so, so many members here that will concur. Paul is a great guy and a real gun lover, and he performs magic with kydex - making the holster incredibly comfortable to where you can't tell it is there whether sitting, standing or moving about. It is like the mass of the gun disappears, becoming one with your body. I carry mine with a 15° cant just behind my hip - the sweet spot. I prefer the linked one with the over the belt clip. It is available with j-hook, c-hook and velcro attachment method, and tuckable is an option. I have a tuckable one with velcro for if I need total concealment, but normally wear the above under a loose shirt.

deputy tom
06-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Linthead, I carry a CW9 mag. in a multi-tool pouch on my belt. To the average Joe it looks like I'm a handyman/janitor or a techno repairman. The extra round is a bonus and works well in my CM9. Welcome to the forums. tom. :D

Linthead
06-29-2013, 02:23 PM
For a spare 6rd cm9 magazine, I use a knife pouch on my belt.

The one I use is a medium pouch made from Rainbow of California dot com. It takes like a week to get one from them directly, and you may be able to find other examples at other places.

In the past I have seen them at the rei brick and mortar store, but honestly I have not been in that store in at least a year, so ymmv.

This pouch fully covers all the shiny bits and does not draw attention to itself.

Its size is listed as; 4 3/8" L X 2 11/16" W

I would imagine anything in this general size will work fine for you.

otium,

I had to go into Atlanta today and stopped by REI to check out the Rainbow of California pouches (http://www.rainbowofcalifornia.com/cases-c-3-l-en.html).

The #87M "Medium Knifecase" (4 3/8"L X 2 11/16"W) is just right for a 6 round magazine and the #87SA "Swiss Knifecase" (5"L X 2 11/16"W) is just right for a 7 round magazine. REI did not have a #87L "Large Knifecase" (5 7/8"L X 2 11/16"W), but it ought to be just right for an 8 round magazine.

They're made in the USA and have a lifetime guarantee, they can be worn vertically or horizontally, they don't scream "GUN ON BOARD!!!" and the price is right.

Thanks for the lead!

otium
06-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Glad you like them and were able to find them local so you did not have to wait for an order. If you do order them online you get a much larger choice of colors.

I kind of stumbled on them and liked the way they were put together. They were certainly better than the chinese made knife pouches I had tried before. Most of those examples lasted like 3 months or less before the stitching started to go bad. So far no issues have popped up with this brand and I suspect I'll get several more years of use out of them.

In case anyone else is following this thread, I have used the size 87L (large) for both the CW45 magazine and the XDS 45 7 round extended magazine. With the XDS extended magazine I pulled off the plastic spacer so it would fit properly.