View Full Version : PM45, to buy or not to buy

Rangemeister
07-04-2013, 05:11 PM
I have a chance to pick-up a PM45 that has been cerakoted, has nite sights, and three mags for $600. Owner says he fired it 200 rds. I think this is a good buy, but he mentioned the FACTORY polished the feed ramp. The only two reasons I know that the factory would polish the feed ramp is 1.) the gun was returned for repair 2.) the owner sends the thing in and pays to get it done. Am I out in left field. I think this is a good buy, just checkin :amflag:

HAPPY FOURTH :Amflag2:

TucsonMTB
07-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Currently, all brand new Kahr pistols are shipped with polished feed ramps.

It might be worth asking if that feature is what he is describing. If it was sent back to Kahr for repairs, it would be nice to know why. But, Kahr usually gets it right with most repairs.

The only possible issue with a repaired gun is that technically you would no longer have a new gun warranty as the second owner.

Rangemeister
07-04-2013, 06:46 PM
You're right Tucson. I will ask specifics about the gun. Also, aren't the warranties listed as 5 years??????

Rangemeister
07-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Just spoke with the owner and the gun was worked on at the factory. It seems there was a problem with mag welds splitting, so the gun was sent in and Kahr did several things. Based upon what I have read, and the fact that I had a T40 that visited Kahr several times and finally got replaced, I think I might have to pass. :( It seemed too good to be true. Kahr's aren't very well known in this area. I think he will have a hard time passing this gun :(

jocko
07-04-2013, 07:05 PM
I have a chance to pick-up a PM45 that has been cerakoted, has nite sights, and three mags for $600. Owner says he fired it 200 rds. I think this is a good buy, but he mentioned the FACTORY polished the feed ramp. The only two reasons I know that the factory would polish the feed ramp is 1.) the gun was returned for repair 2.) the owner sends the thing in and pays to get it done. Am I out in left field. I think this is a good buy, just checkin :amflag:

HAPPY FOURTH :Amflag2:

it is a good buy, whether it has been back to the factory or not, the point is , doe sit now work right. Can u do any test shooting for reliability before buying etc. If he sent it back for a feed ramp polish, he had tohave an issue for one can do that themselves and kahrs feed ramps are great from the facotrty, but sometimes when sent back they do polish he feed ramp and make note of that to the owner on the tech sheet. surely the guy didn't send it backfor just that, for if the gun is working right, u just don't send um back. Qite ossably after the cerekote job by some one other than kahr the gun might have acted up and he had to send it back for service due tothe coating etc. Who knows. I wold not worry much about the past of thegun if the present now is all good to go..:Amflag2:

jocko
07-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Just spoke with the owner and the gun was worked on at the factory. It seems there was a problem with mag welds splitting, so the gun was sent in and Kahr did several things. Based upon what I have read, and the fact that I had a T40 that visited Kahr several times and finally got replaced, I think I might have to pass. :( It seemed too good to be true. Kahr's aren't very well known in this area. I think he will have a hard time passing this gun :(

kahr really never had any issues with the plasma mag welds ever splitting. They did have issue wity the back portions of the mags splitting but that was not a weld issue and there was no weld there. Wasn't about back mags either, but khars feed ramp was just causing alot of mag issues that the mags got blamed for it.My new p380 in the first 200 rounds busted out the back of the magazines, but the wlds were perfect and held. Kahr replced the mags and I never had an issue again. so maybe even there could have been some bad material in some of the mags, but basically the duty of a magazine is to hold and present the cartridge up for proper insertion. they are not supposed to take a beating, not that they can't take it but if a magazine is taking a beating, then something witht he gun is causing it.

CJB
07-05-2013, 05:13 AM
Kahr PM's come with two mags anyway....so you're getting one extra mag... no biggie, and to be honest, Kahr may have comp'd the owner with a free mag just for his trouble with the split ones. Ceracoat.... ah... whatever....